1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Platara 42PD3000 - Questions!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JimmyMc, Feb 8, 2003.

1. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya..

Finally got down to Nexnix for a look-see of the 42PD3000 to compare it against the 42PMA400E which was the best screen for me apart from the fan noise..

There are no fans in the screen but there is a slight buzzing as mentioned in a previous thread - not enough to worry about though.. (no noise from the media box either)

The screen is supposed to be the same on both models except for the video processing electronics which have been moved to the media box - trouble is, I don't think it is the same as the monitor-only version as it doesn't have the same deep blacks - it's not bad enough for me to change my mind about getting it, but it is different - does anyone know the score with this? (we did play around with contrast/brightness and colour settings but to no avail..)

Like I said - that's not a show stopper for me BUT I watch a fair bit of 4:3 stuff still and the side-bars were light grey and we couldn't work out how to change it to black - does anyone know if this can be done? maybe via a service menu? (the monitor version can be changed easily enough).. I'd imagine it's the same with the 32" version..

I wants black bars! (fussy git, maybe!)..

Cheers, James

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James,
    I spoke with Nex on Friday, and they said that the screens are slightly different. The Platara has a different filter coating (or something) which reduces the black perormance. They said that the 400e was better at blacks.

it may be worth asking them about it, as it may be a significant difference.

Rgds

Nick

3. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - it was during my visit at Nexnix, on Friday, that we discovered this!

The difference isn't enough to make me change my mind but I will be concerned if we can't change the side bars in 4:3 mode from light grey to black..