1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi plasmas and screen burn/image retention

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bowler, Jun 17, 2004.

1. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hitachi owners,

Is screen burn/image retention an issue with this make of plasma?

2. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Would have thought so. Burn in is an inherent problem with Plasma technology in general. Unless I'm missing something.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had a 42PD3000 for almost a year now and had no problems with burn. The screen is used with Sky (so lots of logos), DVD (so black bars at top and bottom), XBOX (static images) and all I've had is some image retention which goes away after a few seconds when a different source is used.

I've also used it with Win XP on the PC for up to three hours and had image retention from the task bar but, again, this went away when switched back to normal TV.

I did turn the contrast and brightness down when the screen first arrived though.

HTH

John

4. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think nobody can doubt burn in is a problem. There have been numerous horror stories on these and other forums. Similarly though some people seem to not have an issue with it. I have a friend that uses a plasma with an Xbox all the time and he has had no problem.

Personally I wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

5. Beepcake

Beepcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I used mine for Sky+, XBox and the PC from time to time and the only time i've seen retention was in the first week with the xbox on a menu for quite a while, no issues since.

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two days after getting my Hitachi 5200 I watched LOTR Return of the king :eek: Over three hours with black bars on the top and bottom, checked it afterwards and the slight lines I saw disappeared within a minute of normal viewing, personally I think this 'burn in' issue is in most cases scaremongering :devil:

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    I had a slight scare after pausing sky one night (couldn't have picked a worse time black sky , white stars , RIP TORN in foot high letters :eek: ) but as taffyboyo says all quickly gone with normal usage.
    cbeebies nick jnr , fox kids seems to be on all the time in my house , not had anyproblems with logos either
    no problems with xbox either

8. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have to also add that no screen burn issues at all on my 42PD3000, which I've had for a few months now, has cbeebies on during the day and also used with logo'd channels and xbox, never had a single issue.

Stef