1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Plasma TV and Philips LX3950 amp problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lafemme, Aug 18, 2005.

1. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to plasma technology. I have this week bought an Hitachi Plasma, think it is a 42HD4200 (or very similar name anyway) and I am very happy with it, the picture is fab and the sound is fab too. I have two queries - and I am at a loss as to what 'composite' and 'component' mean, I have sort of works out 'composite' might be a scart connetion! [?]. Anyway, my problems are these:
    I have a Philips LX3950 divx player/home cinema. Because the tv only has one scart (AV4), I have used this for my Telewest cable box, so I bought a scart to 6 phono to run from dixv player to AV2 on plasma. This works a treat, I change to AV2 and it plays DVDs fab, the tuner facility on the divx player works through it a treat, HOWEVER, when I switch to tv on the dixv player (its has disc/tv/tuner/aux options as its an home cinema amp) nothing happens! :suicide:
    When I have my Panasonic CRT tv which was connected to the divx player via scart to scart, if I chose the 'tv' mode on divx player, my television was broadcasted through the amp's speakers/subwoofer etc but nothing is happening now, its like the tv mode has died because I am not using scart to scart.
    When I look at the back of the divx player, it just has one scart connection and it has two red/white audio in/out areas.
    Why, when I am using AV2 and switching to 'tv' mode on amp does it not use its surround sound??? Where am I going wrong? :lease:

My second query is re my video - I think my problem is caused because maybe the vcr is not particularly great so it might not have great output options - anyway, it is a Sharp VCR, it as a scart to scart to the sat box which enables me to record good quality viewing and it has the aerial out lead to the RF on the plasma (think RF is correct phrase! the aerial in bit on plasma anyway as my plasma has a tuner built in) but the vcr does not have an s-video out option just another scart - so I bought a scart to 3 phono and I have tried connecting the red white and yellow connections into the back of the plasma at AV1 but nothing happens..........I've tried connecting the red white and yellow connections where AV3 is on plasma at the input area with corresponding colours (on the plasma book it shows you either connecting the scart to 3 phono to AV3 audio/video area or AV1 audio/video area).
    I press play and no picture, no sound on plasma. If I switch to ordinary tv channels where I have tuned my VCR to channel 7, there is sound and playback (and because I recorded scart to scart from sat box its a good picture)...BUT I want to know why AV1 does not work...its driving me mad.
    I must admit when I re-read the Hitachi plasma installation guide it does say if your VCR is connected to digibox via a scart you do not need the scart to 3 phono lead connected to the plasma - presumably because you are supposed to just tune vcr into a tv channel and be satisfied to watch it through non-AV channel.........but it is driving me mad and I want to have to option of video playback through AV1 especially as I have specially bought the Scart to 3 phono cable for this purpose. Its not that I am not satisfied with picture quality through my VCR channel because I am, but I was always able to view through AV1 before on CRT tv so don't see why I can't now just because I do not have three scarts to play around with on back of my new plasma.
    If I has an s-video option on back of VCR machine and connected it to plasma through this, what would have happened then (remember my VCR does not have an s-video option)??? Would the playback be superior to the tuned in vcr channel on tv? :confused:

If anyone has any ideas but in simple layman's terms I would be very grateful.
    - again when I had my Panasonic CRT it was connected to tv via scart to scart so I enjoyed watching video playback on AV1.

ps hope I've not sent you all to sleep waffling on :boring:

2. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Re: Query 1

Connect a 2 phonos to 2 phonos cable from the output of AV3 of your Hitachi 42PD4200 to the AUX inputs of your Philips. Switch your Philips to AUX to enjoy tuner sound.

Re: Query 2

Are you sure the Scart to 3 phonos cable you have bought takes input from the Scart and outputs to the phonos?? Generally these have a switch, you have to set the switch on the Scart in the IN position. Check it up.

Cheers :hiya:

3. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that speedy reply. I will try that with the Philips using the aux setting. This sounds very helpful.

I am sure the scart to 3 phonos does not have a switch on it - I noticed when I was buying them some were listed with that option. I'll check it out when I get home.

:hiya:

4. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just had a look at Maplin website where I bought my scart to phono cables from and they don't do a 2 phono to 2 phono lead so at the risk of sounding really dumb, is their "Twin Phono Plug to Plug Leads" what I am needing to connect to the Philips? Thanks :rolleyes:

5. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, the Scart to 3 phono did have a switch on it - so I just swapped it around and now it works just fine thanks. So that is that sorted.

6. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wondering if I was to connect 2 phono to 2 phono from the Telewest box to the amp would that not sort out the surround sound problem when amp in 'tv' mode? Just asking because I watch Telewest through Av4 and if I put the 2 phono to 2 phono in AV3 to Philips amp then that would mean I'd had to watch Telewest not through the scart but normal channel and its not as good??? :hiya:

7. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yes, you can use a "2 phono plug to 2 phono plug lead" from you telewest to the AUX of your Philips too!!

Cheers :D

8. lafemme

lafemme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. You have been a big help.