Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hitachi plasma screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by taimur, May 12, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to decide which plasma to buy. I'll be using computer output and output from my AV receiver (currently composite to TV). Because I want to use my PC on the plasma, I would like the resolution of the screen to be at least 1024x768

I've heard a lot of good things about Hitachi plasma screens and I also see that they have resolutions of 1024x1024. However, at this web site:
    http://www.shootandshow.com/hitachi-42pma400e.htm
    the resolution is of the PMA400E is both 852x480 and 1024x1024. At this web site:
    http://www.videocentric.co.uk/accessories/hitachi-42pma400e.html
    the number of pixels is clearly shown to be 1024x1024

Which is correct!!

Also, is the only difference between the 42PMA400E and the 42PD3000 in the inclusion of extras (ie speakers, amplifier, lots of inputs).

I've narrowed my choice of plasma to either a Hitachi (which seems relatively cheap - £2755 from av-sales.com) or a Pioneer 433mxe (£3500 from 7oaks).

Taimur

2. Daliah Lavi

Daliah Lavi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're after a Pioneer 433MXE, have a look at the empiredirect bargains thread ;) but be quick.

I picked one up for £3,138. inc del via First Direct thru to Empire Direct.

Daliah.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have been comparing the same screens.

The PMA is the "commercial" version of the 42PD3000. As far as I am aware they have the same screen (but I'm still a newbie here so I may be wrong). The PD3000 includes a stand, speakers and a tuner box, which handles all the inputs and is joined to the screen by a 2m cable. All the processing is done in the box, so that's where the cooling fans are.

The PMA on the other hand is a screen-only affair with several inputs and outputs on the screen itself. There are a few extra anti screen-burn features on the PMA. Also, since the processing is done in the screen, it has cooling fans in built which some people say make a fair amount of noise.

I have gone for the PMA over the PD3000 because of the anti screen-burn features (I want to use it as a PC monitor as well as a TV),and the flexibility in locating it more than 2m away from the tuner box. I do not need speakers in screen because I will have a separate AVR box driving 5.1 speakers directly.

I can't remember the URL but do a Google search on "Hitachi Digital Media". Have a look around their website. You can download the spec sheets for both screens as PDF files there.

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies. Is the resolution of the hitachi screen really 1024x1024, or is it 852x480 as I saw on one web site?

Taimur

5. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Taimur, I've just ordered a Hitachi 42PD3000 and all the specs I've seen on it quote 1024 X 1024.

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know what you think of the display when it arrives!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Taimur

I'm sure a very close inspection by the Tetley Tea boys will actually find 1024 x 512 Physical pixels on this screen.

Hitachi use Fujitsu's ALIS glass panels which use a bit of jiggery pokery to redraw the image twice as fast as normal and therefore 'claim' 1024 x 1024.

Personally I'm not overly convinced by this technique -especially on video sources.

Best regards

Joe

8. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I had the Fujitsu P42HHA10ES demo'd for me at Sevenoaks last week. If that's the same panel as the Hitachis use, I'll be more than happy with the quality. Then agaian, I'm no PQ buff.

The Fujitsu and both Hitachis are all 1024x1024 ALIS panels.

Interestingly for most of the demo, I had the Fujitsu hooked up to a laptop via 15 pin RBG. The display looked extremely sharp, down to single pixel level at 1024x768 (4:3 with black bars). 1024x768 stretched widescreen (i.e. dot-for-dot horizontally) was crystal clear. 1280x768 was just the tiniest bit fuzzy, but very usable.

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies. I'm looking for something that will look good with a computer display (HCPC and screen displays) as well as with TV playback (NTL).

10. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Darran

Let us know when you rec the PMA Hitachi , and how things turnout . :smashin:
    I'am also thinking of getting the same screen

Thanks for your time in a reply

:D

11. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well if phase one of my "move the PC into the lounge" project (i.e. my Gyration wireless keyboard and mouse) works out OK tonight I should be off to Nexnix this weekend to look at the PMA, and maybe (gulp) buy one!

12. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Let me know if you do Gulp and buy one :smashin:
    Also what you think of the picture & features

I look forward in hearing your outcome

Thanks

:)

13. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Through reading another thread, it looks like Nexnix don't open on Saturdays :-(

In the meantime, have you seen this thread?

14. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren,

I also will be very intriqued to hear your findings on the 400e at NexNix. As you've seen in the other thread, I came away from NexNix very confused about that panel and I'm still unsure as to what panel to buy. I'm going to try and get to the AV-Sale this weekend in Tunbridge Wells and will make up my mind then.

15. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, I read the thread regarding the picture quality with Sky. it does seem a bit odd. Funnily enough, Russell called me on my mobile as I was on my way home last night and we talked about the PMA for about 20 minutes. He did say that there seems to be something odd about their Sky setup on their demo screen which puts some customers off. He also forewarned me about the fan noise which it seems has a similar effect.

Bear in mind that I am primarily interested in the PMA for its price and its function as a PC monitor. It'll be getting its PC feed through the 15-pin port, but Sky, DVD and video will all be switched S-video. I'll be using a Denon 1803 AVR so I'll have the option to upgrade to component switching later if I change my DVD player.

Since I am not mad keen on video PQ the piture will have to be pretty damn ghastly for me to not buy one (or even notice), so my opinions might be a little bit biased...

Having said that I am looking forward to seeing one (finally!).

Russell did say that the PMA uses different filters in front of the screen - different even to its sister the 42PD3000E. His personal opinion is that the PMA gives a better PQ than the 3000E.

16. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I look forward in hearing your outcome :smashin:
    I'am hoping for some good advice on PMA

We all await your reply

:D

17. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had my Hitachi 42PD3000e for 3 weeks now and its great, PQ is fantastic (after a couple of days playing around with settings!) DVD is very sharp as is my laptop when connected, long story but sky is through the ariel at the mo and its still very watchable. I will admit the screen does buzz a little but you can only hear mine with the volume off!! Two things that bother me though is the centre channel input thing isnt very successfull, and ALL the preset picture settings (dynamic - cinema and that sort of thing) are way too bright, so it only leaves you with one user preset memory to play with. Some reviews mention the menu system being slow, but ive not come accross this (infact its faster than my old panny CRT)

So all in all I would recomend this panel to anyone, especially with the price and package of stand, speakers, tuner box

18. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Okey dokey...

Went to Nexnix today. Despite not normally opening on Saturdays, Russell told me he would be there all day catching up on paperwork and was good enough to spend about two or three hours with me one-on-one demo'ing the 42PMA400E.

I only looked at this plasma because I had pretty much made up my mind before I got there that it was the one for me. The screen was connected to a Denon 3802 AVR which switched the inputs from a Denon DVD player (didn't get the model number) and a SKY digibox (again didn't get the make or model).

One thing that confused me immediately was when Russell took me through the inputs to the screen. My understanding from the tech spec I downloaded from the Hitachi website was the the only video feeds were s-video, composite (phono) and component (3xphono). There are of course 2x 15 pin "data" RGB feeds for hooking up a PC (or two).

HOWEVER Russell baked my noodle right from the off by talking about connecting the Denon to the screen via RGB with an additional sync on composite. Now I know about RGB+comp sync but I had no idea the screen could take it, so it has kind of messed up my own idea about how to connect my own system together. But enough of my problems...

This is what I looked at:
    SKY via RGB+comp sync
    SKY via s-video
    DVD via RGB +comp sync
    DVD via s-video
    PC via 15 pin RGB at 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1280x1024

To be completely honest the DVD picture from either source was good enough for me. I could only see problems where Russell pointed them out. I did get the feeling however that the overall quality was not as good as that which I saw on the Fujitsu (same panel) previously.

Nexnix's infamous SKY setup was dissappointing. By their own admission they seem to have a problem with getting a good picture from sky on this screen. I looked at the picture through both sources and while still images were good enough, movement showed up a good deal of blockiness.

Performance with the PC was great. 1280x768 or 1280x720 is my target res and fine text was clear at the former. When I whacked it up to 1280x1024 it was still readable, but there was too much of a shimmy in the image to make it comfortable to use.

As for fan noise, I could not hear it at first but then when Russell pointed it out I was concious of it. However, lots of things in my house make more noise than that and I really can't imagine it would be a problem for me.

To cut a long story short I ordered one. However, if I was a PQ buff with an extra grand burning a hole in my pocket I get the feeling I would have bought a different screen (no idea what). But I reckon the PMA is a steal at the current Nexnix price.

If anyone can shead any more light on the RGB+comp sync input thing it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

19. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did anyone buy the june 2003 magazine, it reviewd the hitachi 42pma400e, i am thinking of buying one and missed this magazine, can anyone e-mail me the review.

e-mail address johnkellyryan@ntlworld.com:hiya: :hiya:

20. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren,

Now you've had your 400e for a couple of weeks, what do you think ?
    Are you happy ?
    Is the Sky picture better at home than in Nexnix ?
    How have you got it connected ?

Thanks,
    Jay

21. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45