1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi plasma and Hi def

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sacd, Jul 20, 2004.

1. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, are hitachi alis screens the right way to for the new sky hi def service?
    If not, what is the right screen?

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Assuming that Sky go for a 1080i service (very likely, since mostly standard around the world in countries where they have HDTV now), then Hitachi has it covered. This is as long as you DO NOT buy the 5300 model, since the external multimedia box this comes with is not compatible with HDTV. 5100 or 5200 should be fine.

Bear in mind that this set will have been designed from the outset for HDTV use, and the 'interlaced' nature of the panel is optimised for 1080i display.

Read the review of the 5200 by John Archer in HCC recently for further testing details.

HTH

3. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. I am torn between a panasonic panel and an alis screen. The 'future proof' nature of the alis screen might just tip the balance.
    Thanks again.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Panny's are very good by all accounts, but the low definition of the panels (WVGA) means that you will lose all the extra definition provided by HDTV. Bear in mind that the current models have to down-scale a PAL picture (which has a vertical resolution of 576 lines/pixels) to fit the panel (which has 480 vertical). Even more down-scaling needed to fit 1080 into 480!

The exception to this is the HD6 model 42" that Panny produce, which has a more HDTV-friendly 1024 x 768 resolution. This set is unfortunately quite scarce, since it's marketed for commercial use by Panny. AV Sales is the only major supplier I've seen selling this model. This limited market means that price is relatively high, in comparison to the lower def. models.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally in 2006 when Sky HD and Blu-ray and most probably Xbox 2 and Playstation 3 are all going to be transmitting in 1080i, I'm going to buy myself either a Lcos or DLP rear projection with true 1920/1080i capabilities. If your a videophile, having a screen which perfectly matches the source material is the only way to go :smashin: