• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hitachi PJTX200 LCD Projector Owners Club

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Inspired by the "Hitachi Plasma" thread and inspired by a few other posts I hope nobody minds that I have started this to try and get all owners (and potential owners) together

A lot of credit must go to VLADMAN whose post "Pictures of Hitachi PJ-TX200 in action" convinced me to buy mine and gave me an excellent start point for calibration

His settings for those interested are ....

Color Temp:

Use 7500K as reference, then set:

Low RGB: +1, +2, +3
Mid RGB: -4, +2, 0
High RGB: 0, +1, -5

Gamma:

Use standard as reference, then set:

1: +1
2: +2
3: +3
4: +2
5: 0
6: -3
7: -3
8: -4
9:-3

Black: Auto1

Iris: 3

Sharpness: 5

And are possibly the best starting ground for any owners to go from.

Mine actually are exactly the same however I have found that I have lowered the Iris setting to 2 and upped Sharpness to 6

The lower Iris really helped enhance blacks and seems to have cut down on the (very, very occassional) flicker with the Auto Black function

Using DVE I found that my Brightness needed upping slightly and contrast lowering - colour also needed dropping to -4

The Iris thing may not suit all - I am using mine against a GREY WOLF II screen and with higher Iris a slight reflection could be noticed at times when not sat at optimum height (mines in bedroom and as such have habbit of slouching rather than sitting)

Will get some pics posted in next day or so

Jammyb

Prominent Member
Ooooh a club! Will we get badges? More importantly will there be a buffet??

At the moment I'm using the 'CKL' settings posted above.
Some shots I took yesterday on a £20 Ikea blind, with some ambient light (must get some thicker curtains!)
Madagascar.jpg

Madagascar2.jpg

SinCity.jpg

SharkTale.jpg

I'll change those to links if you want to stop the thread getting enourmous?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Finished setting mine up today :smashin: I am using a 77" Beamax screen which was a doddle to fit (well my mate did most of it!) and wow, I'm impressed to say the least. I've given Hero, LOTR, 5th element a whizz plus a blast on MotoGP06 on the Xbox360. Brillitant bit of kit :thumbsup:

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Out of interest Jammy do you have any special settings on camera to get them pics

Also - what brightness etc you gone for ?

Jammyb

Prominent Member
No special settings just the 'auto' on my Canon Powershot A95. I haven't messed with them in the slightest, just cropped and halved the size.

Just make sure you've got flash turned off :p

All the settings on the projector are the ones you posted from the Vladman thread if I remember correctly, 7500k base.

edit: worth pointing out they're all HD clips if anyone didn't realise.

trolly

Standard Member
Jammyb whats the source of the HD clips.
Madagascar, Sin City & Sharks Tale?
I didn't notice they were HD, on a 2nd look they do look good.
Will check out Madagascar & Sharks Tale (SD upscaled) when I get home.

pure_geordie

Established Member
Just looking at that image its seems a bit blocky!!!....around the edges
Looking at some DLP pictures they seem alot smoother in texture..

Cheers:D

pure_geordie

Established Member
JB..why are you projecting the images on a £20 Ikea Blind...Seems a bit crazy using a £1000 projector...on cheepo blind

Have you not got a proper screen.....:D

Jammyb

Prominent Member
trolly said:
Jammyb whats the source of the HD clips.
Madagascar, Sin City & Sharks Tale?
Madagascar and Shark Tale are just DivX trailers from here:
http://www.divx.com/hd/

Sin City is a 720p H.264 file

pure_geordie said:

You must be looking at different images to me?
They don't look as good as really high bitrate HD, but tbh you could only tell that from the original image playing on the screen, not some quick screenshots I took.

pure_geordie said:
JB..why are you projecting the images on a £20 Ikea Blind...Seems a bit crazy using a £1000 projector...on cheepo blind

There are loads of people on here using the same thing. I might get a Gray Wolf II or something similar in a few months time when I've finished doing up the house, but it's more than good enough for the time being

cyberheater

Prominent Member
pure_geordie said:

I've had a variety of "proper screens" myself and the 20 quid cheapy tuppler blind always produced a better picture then all of them.
It's a pity they don't come with a black border.

-Jay-

Banned
pure_geordie said:

Are you kidding me? they don't look blocky at all, they look really great jammyb :smashin:

pure_geordie

Established Member
Might just be my computer screen....:eek:

Images to mee do look ok but the HD72i looks slighly better:D

...Yes I do have to say though,,they look ok

Ta:smashin:

pure_geordie

Established Member
Sorry..didn't realise people actually did use them blinds...:eek:

I'm getting an Sapphire electric..89" Diag, with remote RF control...for £230

Not bad considering people on here have got them for £280......

Cheers:smashin:

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Jammyb said:
No special settings just the 'auto' on my Canon Powershot A95. I haven't messed with them in the slightest, just cropped and halved the size.

Just make sure you've got flash turned off :p

All the settings on the projector are the ones you posted from the Vladman thread if I remember correctly, 7500k base.

edit: worth pointing out they're all HD clips if anyone didn't realise.

Have you had to lower \ alter the colour setting

I have followed the settin gs posted above but find that on 0 the colour is too red whilst lowering it starts to produced to washed out an image. Impressed as I am with the pic I have yet to get colour looking as good as you have with thos eimages posted above

Also found that the most colourful image is that using the 9500k settings - but again too red - is there a way of lowering the colour settings just for red ?

Jammyb

Prominent Member
Yeah, did you not follow this part of the setup you posted?
"Use 7500K as reference, then set:

High RGB: 0, +1, -5"

you've got to think as well that my screenshots aren't exactly natural fleshtones, I'll try and do some of something a bit more normal, for a better comparison.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Jammyb said:
Yeah, did you not follow this part of the setup you posted?
"Use 7500K as reference, then set:

High RGB: 0, +1, -5"

you've got to think as well that my screenshots aren't exactly natural fleshtones, I'll try and do some of something a bit more normal, for a better comparison.

Yep - did that and still find it too red - its as if I have set a colour tone of "warm" - whilst I find green and blue not high enough (grass for instance looks far too uncoloured) the reds and just TOO red. Far too warm and to lower them I have to turn the colour setting down - problem then though is the other colours get worse

True-Blue

Prominent Member
I'm keen to set my machine to the settings described earlier in the thread but I can't find the low / mid / high RGB or th 1 to 9 gamma settings - what am I missing ??

Jammyb

Prominent Member

True-Blue

Prominent Member
Excellent JammyB, many thanks for that - have just applied these settings, switched to whisper mode etc.

Looks better than out of the box settings to me:)

Jammyb

Prominent Member
I wasn't sure about whisper mode, yeah the bulb runs dimmer, but the fan runs a lot slower too, I'd have thought they'd cancel each other out lamp life wise?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Jammyb said:
You go into gamma and then across into the settings, then this is saved as a custom setting.

You can see all the various menus and a description of how they're used in this review here:
http://www.cine4home.com/reviews/projectors/HitachiTX200/Hitachi-PJTX200Review.htm

it's the brightness of the colours, so if dark red was too prominent, but bright red was weak you can calibrate it accordingly.

cheers

interested to know if anyone else is suffering with the colors using component or hdmi inputs ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom