Hitachi PJTX200 Arrived - Newbie Impressions

Oogster

My Hitachi PJTX200 has just arrived. (Great service from Flat Deal company).I'm using it uncalibrated, using the freebie leads that came with it (waiting on proper cables to ship from States) and beaming straight on to the wall.

I have so say that the picture quality is nothing short of stunning. Everyone who has seen it cannot believe how clear and bright the picture is. I think we can all get a bit carried away waiting to see which Projector wins the tech shoot-out. I think in reality, any of the new generation from Sanyo, Panasonic, Hitachi or Epsom will produce fabulous results.

The best thing about the projector is it turns watching a movie with the family into a real event. I would recommend this product without hesitation.

Anim

Congratulations on ya projector :D

Yes they all produce amazing results.

But you also have to respect the people that can spot the tiniest of flaw in a projected image which keeps pushing the manufactors to create better and better machines.

Some people prefer to tinker getting the very best out of what they own, others prefer to sit back and watch a dvd. Its all good :)

Anim

wassap

Banned
A friend of mine has gotten his sanyo z4 last week, the biggest difference over his older panny ae500 is that the picture is so much sharper over a bigger screen size, he has gone from a 60" to 100" and its just as sharp as it was with the 100"

M

morkys

It seems that there is a far bit of feedback regarding the sharpness of the Z4 being good.

Oogster,

Are you using the dynamic iris? How is that working for you?

:)

PJTX100

morkys said:
It seems that there is a far bit of feedback regarding the sharpness of the Z4 being good.
I can vouch for the TX200 being every bit as sharp and detailed as the Z4...PJ

M

morkys

Not too surprised there. Its the ginormous optics :) I have a TX100 and it is razor sharp across the screen. Of course, I use practically ZERO lens shift. That huge lens probably has something to do with the sharpness.

Oogster

The image size I'm projecting is about 100" and it's razor sharp. I'm only limited but the short run freebie cable it came with.

I have had a little play with the iris settings. Like I mentioned, I'm very new to this, so have really only experimented with the 'pre-set modes'. When switching from one mode to another, you can see a big difference in picture as the iris setting changes. I need to get used to which I think is best. I used the cinema low setting the other night and watched 'The Warriors' a movie set on the New York subways with plenty of dark scenes. Contrast to me looked superb, I could see details and texture in the shadows, but remember I have nothing sitting side by side it to compare it's performance to. To me the quality is faultless.

One other point to make as just how quiet the fan is. I had previously auditioned an Infocus 5700 at Sevenoaks, the fan noise of which I found noticably distracting. The Hitachi fan is whisper quiet, so quiet in fact I was starting to get worried that it wasn't working!!

One of the most enjoyable things about the projector is being able to catch up on movies that I missed on the big screen first time around, and experience them how they were meant to be seen. I can only relate it to buying CD versions of your favourite albums when CD's first came out. You discover something new. Anyone thinking about buying a plasma should go and audition a projector before they part with their cash. To my mind the picture quality is superior, (and of course bigger). If you are on the verge of buying a projector and like me, read this site to helpmakeup your mind, I can only urge you to make the plunge. You won't have any regrets.

M

morkys

Oogster,

Yeah. I can totally relate to that. Watching All the Presidents Men on my 92" diagonal screen is a cool way to time travel :)

I hate to break the silence (ha....ha......ha..) but if I were you, I'd double check to make sure the fan is on high or at least medium (just not on the lowest setting).

manhar,

Keystone is bad to use generally. You want to mount the pj perpendicular to the screen and use lens shift if you must.

I prefer not to, because I don't have to :) ..although when I move, I will have to use a ceiling mount I suspect, so we'll see how that goes.

PJTX100

manhar said:
No keystone correction on the PJTX200 ??
Is it safe to dispense with this facility?
The TX100 does have vertical keystone correction capability (I'd be surprised if the TX200 didn't) but as ever the advice is not to use it. With optical lens shift it shouldn't need to come into play...PJ

r47463

Standard Member
What kind of warranty does this PJ have?

It's rated at 2dB louder than the Z4 in the specification. Does anyone know if there is any real difference or is it the manufacturers playing the numbers game?

Major Payn

Standard Member
The 2dB difference will negligible. Very much the numbers game. The issue is how accurate those figures turn out to be.

PJTX100

r47463 said:
What kind of warranty does this PJ have?
1 year. :thumbsdow

r47463 said:
It's rated at 2dB louder than the Z4 in the specification. Does anyone know if there is any real difference or is it the manufacturers playing the numbers game?
The TX200 was next to my head with the vent blowing hot air on my ear while I was auditioning it. I could hardly hear it. :smashin:

M

morkys

Does this projector automatically track the gamma to match the changes in the iris (auto iris) ??

PJTX100

morkys said:
Anybody else with this puppy? Impressions?

Here is something from an AVS member I can share:

http://frozen-toes-home-theatre.funtigo.com/?preview=y&cr=1&rfm=y
That's a very informative comparison, and great to have side-by-sides of the pixel structure. Also interesting they've broken out GHOST and STRIPE form the factory menu and placed them into the standard menu.

I do feel this review is slightly suffering from the effects of cost justification though. From what I saw the TX200 wasn't sharper than the TX100 for example, and if you get a good TX100 then no way is it a "very far leap" forward in terms of VB and CU. I still stand by my original opinion that if you have a TX100 it's definitely not worth the cost of upgrading to a TX200...PJ

M

morkys

The colour differences are kinda wacked. He also used a filter in some or all of the photo's. I agree that the TX100 is great. The only reason I am thinking about it is for the combined benefits. Higher contrast, less vertical banding, better colour uniformity, less screen door. If I check one out and notice that all of those are improved, then I may make the leap. All depends on the cost of your upgrade. I bought from Japan and have not used this unit much yet, so my overall invested and my upgrade costs are not too bad (new because least month my original one was replaced under warranty).

simzuk

Standard Member
I'm about to bite the pj bullet, and have got it down to two choices- the Hitachi pj tx200 looks like being my winner, but the Sony HS 60 may be a late contender! It's now a question of screen size, and I'm a little confused. The Hitachi is apparently a 1.6X, which I presumed would throw a smaller picture than the Sanyo Z4/Panasonic 900- which both have a 2.0X. But on checking the projection calculator on projectorcentral (based on its figures for the pj tx100) the machine, when at full zoom, apparently can throw virtually the same size picture from my desired throw of 3.75metres. Could anyone with an hitachi 200 out there fire it up at full zoom from 3.75m and let me know the exact width (not diagonal) as I need to put an order in for an acoustically transparent screen and need to know that the pj can fill it!! I don't want to solely rely on a projection calculator, and there are no demo rooms in the West Midlands for LCD pjs. (Its a DLP stronghold seat!!!) Also, whats the picture quality like when at full zoom, does it deteriorate noticably? Thanks guyz.

PJTX100

simzuk said:
Also, whats the picture quality like when at full zoom, does it deteriorate noticably? Thanks guyz.
Doesn't degrade pic quality but you lose the flexibility to make the pic bigger if needed to align to borders - believe me you'll need this flexibility at times so never size your screen at full zoom, leave at least 5 to 10% to play with...PJ

simzuk

Standard Member
Yes, that sounds sensible! I've got my sights set on a Da-lite screen, but I don't know which standard screen size to buy until I can find out the accurate throw size... and I'm eager to put my order in for both screen and pj asap. So any measurements from you Hitachi pj tx200 owners would be a massive help. My max throw as I mentioned last post is 3.75 metres. Thanks in advance, Simon

R

Rice0209

I have a question also. I will be receiveing my tx200/hdpj52 soon. I downloaded the manual from the hitachi europe website since the USA site doesn't have the manual yet.

Does this projector, when level, have any upwards or downwards projection? From the pictures in the manual, it somewhat appears that the projector is ideally suited to be level horizontally and vertically and projected directly at the middle of the screen. example: if the height of the screen is 50" then the lens should be centered at a height of 25".

I am going to ceiling mount mine and didn't want the lens shift feature to have to be used for vertical adjustments, only horizontal to obtain the best picture quality.

PJTX100

Rice0209 said:
Does this projector, when level, have any upwards or downwards projection?
I don't think is has. Don't be afraid to use vertical adjustment though, within reason...PJ

M

morkys

I am pretty sure it is like the TX100 in that the projector lens is centred both horizontally and vertically when you have it set with zero lens shift. A little lens shift will not hurt the image too much though. With my TX100 I deliberately use as little lens shift as possible.

M

morkys

Does anybody know how to adjust lcd panel convergence for the TX200? I know how to get into the factory service menu, but I am unsure which setting I need to adjust the lcd panel convergence.

Also, where can we obtain a service manual from?

M

morkys

Does anybody know how to adjust convergence on the TX200?

I need some help. My TX200 may have poor lcd panel convergence and I need to determine if it is in fact bad, and if so, can I do anything about it before returning the projector to swap for a new unit. On the TX100, in the factory service menu, there was an adjustment under OPTION. Below Iris-A and Iris-M there was CNV-V and CNV-H. I cannot find these in the TX200 menu. Do you know if they are missing in the TX200 or is there another special way to get to these adjustments? I also tried the "secret" menu, but all I found there was the "air switch" etc and no CNV adjustments.

I will attach a pic. Have a look and let me know how it compares to your TX200 (if there are TX200 owners out there).

thanx

Attachments

Anim

Probably not this but....

Is the projector perfectly face on the screen?
Have you adjusted the feet? (spin to lower/raise)

Always worth a try

Anim

M

morkys

Good idea, but I have checked that out already. This TX200 projector is in the same position as the previous TX100. I have it pretty nearly perfectly perpendicular to the screen, and whats more, when you move the projector left and right on axis (spin it in place) there is no affect on the pixel mis-alignment you see.

Of course from seating position, you cannot see the "pixel mis-alignment" itself. Instead, you see a softness and a blurryness. I realized this when trying to focus.

Anim

Could you phone your dealer and ask them how to adjust the convergence via the menus before returning the unit as faulty?

Might work

Anim

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett