1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi pjtx100 concerns

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by quagmire, Dec 31, 2004.

1. quagmire

quagmire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,
    I reciently purchased a hitachi pjtx100. After initial setup, I began watching several movies. Everything seemed fine until I started to watch the movie ICE AGE. If you don't know this movie is a very "white" movie and while watching the intro I noticed that on the bottom right half of the screen the white has a pink tint to it. I have messed with the setting and every factory/custom setting still has a pink tint to it. It is not the screen, as I han move the image and the pink image will follow. This is driving me insane, as know I can notice it on other movies and videogames as well. Does this sound like a manufacturrers defect, or am I doing something wrong (setup, adjustments, etc..)
    THANKS for any help in this matter!

2. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First check if it is a dust blob.
    Defocus completely to both directions and see if you can see some random dust-like shapes form on the image.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Hey great to have another PJTX100 owner on the list! :thumbsup: I have seen no such thing on mine, I've watched quite a few with snow too eg Empire Strikes Back, The Day After Tomorrow etc. Sounds like a fault if it's only limited to one part of the picture, if I were you I'd return it asap and ask for a swap.
    Good luck...PJ

4. quagmire

quagmire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it is a showroom model that my dealer let me borrow till my new one comes in. I should recieve my new one monday, I was just concerned if this has happened to any other pjtx100 owners.
    Also, could you please explain the dust blob. I have cleaned the lens with the recommended cleaner, and still no help can you explain a little more precisely what I should look for.
    Thanks again!

5. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

On my TX100 I have some similar colour uniformity issues.

If you show a completly white picture the whole width of the top of the screen has yellow tint to it which start off quite a strong yellow and fades to white over the first 8 or 9 rows of pixels. I have exactly the same at the bottom but the colour of the tint is blue.

It was quite a while before I noticied it as films with any sort of borders completly mask it and on full 16:9 material it is only visible where their is a bright light colour e.g. sky.

The problem is now that I have noticied it it drives me mad when it is visible.

I'm not sure what to do. I have read that such colour uniformity can be a fairly common problem with LCD panels.

I did pose the question on AVSForums but was met with a fairly unhelpful response.

Any further experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

KL

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I've just fired up my TX100 and watched the snow scenes in Empire Strikes back again, but this time stretched using the MOVIE-1 AR so it fills full 16:9. I paused it frequently on total white-out scenes and inspected the screen from close quarter. I couldn't see any uniformity issues at all. I tried taking pics but the only digital camera I have is pants and the results are totally alien to the screen in real life.

Amazing to see all those little pixels doing their thing from close quarter, never really looked before. Looks complete chaos from close up, yet from 9ft away it looks completely amazing.

If it's still under warranty and you're not happy then get Hitachi to sort it out.

...PJ

7. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for having a look.

I use a HTPC so it is easy to get a completely white background, although you would of easily seen such a problem in the show scenes if it had been their. Luckily yours appears to be fine.

It is 5 months old with approximately 300 hours on it so I will maybe speak to Nexnix about sorting it out. The only problem is that if it had to go in for repair I think I would miss it too much.
    Better to get it sorted out though.

KL

8. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Oh no! I noticed colour uniformity issues too and assumed it was due to poor paint work on my behalf (used Goo Systems paint). On mine I have a blue hue on the left hand side and a red on the right hand side. Very noticable on white scenes.

That means my PJ-TX 100 has two major issues:

1: Lamp Flicker (big brightness changes at random) getting worse and worse.
    2: Color Uniformity screwed.

Wonder if Nex Nix can do anything, the unit is only 6mths old (approx).

Matt

9. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As has been mentioned over on the AVSForums, some people who have had tinting (generally seems to be yellow) have successfully removed it using the factory/service menus.

I have had a little bit of a fiddle with mine but it seemed to make no difference at all, although this could have had something to do with the fact the I wasn't sure exactly what I was adjusting.

As quagmire stated earlier he has had no success with what appears to be a thorough adjustment the the menus.

I'm not sure wha to do yet as if it goes back I have all the hassles of getting it down from the ceiling (I have to take the floor up upstairs to get it out) and then the long wait with
    out a projector. I then have visions of some Hitachi service guy looking at it who really isn't sure what they are looking at or probablly doing.

KL

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    There's some noise on the AVSForum about a new model of the TX100, some guy said he'd just had his replaced and the new one has silver/blue top and 2 air filters. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Also, have the colour uniformity issues gradually appeared or do you suspect they were always there...PJ

11. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I suspect that the problems were always there. I did not notice them at first, but I think this was due to the excitement of having a projector and not watching the correct material - i.e. watching stuff with borders.

I first spotted them around 30 hours and i'm now on approximatley 320 hours and they have remained at a constant level throughout.

KL

12. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If anyone comes across a guide to how to remove the yellow using the service menu could they post a link here, as i would be interested in giving it a go although i would like to know what im doing before going into the service menus.

I Would also be interested to here how nexnix handle any returns/ replacements etc as i dont really want to return it unless i know its going to be fixed at least reasonable quickly.

Thanks guys and hope you all get your units sorted, hopefully they will send us these new blue/silver models.

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    You may have seen this already but there's a lot of talk about it here on this massive TX100 thread, haven't read it in detail but it does discuss how to get into the factory menu etc...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=404498&highlight=hitachi

...PJ