Hitachi PJ-TX200 users, look-in

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mike greenslade, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mike greenslade

mike greenslade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you other Hitachi PJ-TX200 users who reckon BLACKS are Not Greys please say which:-

1) Dvd Player you are using?

2) SVIDEO, Component or HDMI cabling used?

3) PJ Settings for Blacks?

I ask because I reckon BLACKS are nowhere near BLACKS, still look like Grey to me.:mad:

1...I set-up with Pioneer 725,

2...Cableing by means of SVIDEO(10m) and COMPONENT(10m) seperately in both menus, but cant see Component giving a much better PQ. The difference I get is in SVIDEO there is more contrast in the colours, than Component, both are as Sharp as each other.
    Isnt COMPONENT supposed to be far superior?:rolleyes:
    I would like to hear from someone using HDMI Cabling...for PQ

3...PJ... IRIS is set to Auto1(OFF is too Dull)
    Sharpness = 3
    Brightness = 6
    Contrast = 3-4
    Whisper Mode.
    Manual IRIS = 4

Regards
    Mike.

2. mike greenslade

mike greenslade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lesson:

OK! I have run the "Pirates of the Carribean" through the PJ and Dvd Player in Component modes..

I chose this Dvd because of the Dark Scenes, and I'll be damned, I have got the Blacks as Black as I wanted...:thumbsup:

This projector is better than I thought, much so.

These are the Settings:-

Brightness = +4
    Contrast = +3
    Gamma = HIGH
    Col Temp = 7500K
    Colour = +0
    Tint = +0
    Sharpness = +5 (this setting is up to your taste)
    Iris = 2
    Black = Auto1

The settings above are of my own taste but you cant go wrong if you decide to try them.
    At the End of the Day we all got different preferences.
    The above settings are very Cinematic.:clap:
    Regards
    Mike.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    Hi Mike,

Did you use a test disk to get the white and black levels correct? It can help quite a bit and take out a lot of the guess work. See the calibration sticky at the top of the page for info.

Gary

4. mike greenslade

mike greenslade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No Gary, I used the THX optimiser at the start of POTC but still dropped the IRIS down a notch as to get Blacker Blacks.

Mike.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
  6. morkys

morkys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever the case, make sure your dvd player black setting is set to DARKER when using the component, VGA, DVI or HDMI connection from your dvd player.

7. yaughan

yaughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projecting an image of about 120" diag on a white wall

Using Panasonic EH-60 HDD-DVD-DVB for all source material via progressive component

Calibrated using DVE (PAL) and set at Brightness +13, contrast +6, iris 3, auto1, STANDARD gamma, col temp 7500K, colour 0, tint +3. This is fine for DVD material.

Blacks are grey in the lighter scenes but match the rest of the entirely white but light controlled room. For example, we can't see the bars when projecting 2.35:1 material at all. I don't see how we could expect better than that!

Things are different when watching Freeview. Much of the material appears washed out. Tweaked to Brightness +6, contrast +13, and been dicing with auto2 iris to achieve far more dynamic results.

Good luck.

8. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Do not underestimate the reflective power of a white wall...paint them some dark color...

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    You will find that usually the progressive scanning performed by your DVD player will produce a brighter image, with lighter blacks than your projector doing it. Set your player to interlaced and then set your projector up using a test disc of THX optimiser. Try having the contrast slightly higher and the brightness slightly lower than you would normally as this helps define the blacks a little better making them appear deeper.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    Oakly,

Are you saying that you should set the brightness lower and contrast higher than what the test disk would suggest? If you do that you would crush blacka and whites and lose detail, not gain it. WHat test disk do you normaly use?

I find Avias moving bars allow an accurate setting for those levels (fine to use on digital connections, but only for NTSC analogue), and you can easily see the bars dissapear if you set the levels wrong. The bars are 1% and 2% above black, and 1% and 2% below reference white, and represent detail above/below black and white. If you can't see them, then you will be missing detail in what you watch if it has it at those levels.

You can see the same thing happening with other test disks too of course.

Gary

11. Parallax

Parallax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

The most important aspect in creating your desired white/black level are in the colour of the surface you are reflecting your image onto. White is most reflective surface of course and Black is least (!).

Consider how fact that a projector cannot display or project black and the black you see is not entirely, but basically the colour of the wall (with a little light leakage from the LCD).

With this in mind and my own preference for black level rather than all out brightness, I painted a wall in a mid grey thus 50% of black and 50% of white. This means that the black levels are far better and the white levels are somewhat worse.

The TX200 seemed to have a amazingly bright output so I went for a little darker than users elsewhere have and went for Icestorm 5 paint and it has really improved things. I can still alter the settings for everything so I can tweak higher or lower depending on the source.

Get a foot flat square of wood or card and paint it grey. Hold it over your image and compare the two, or experiment with different shades. I would set all TX200 setting to 0 so you can tweek in both directions after its all done with.

Hope this is feasable and helpfull to you.

12. mike greenslade

mike greenslade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, thanks...

I am projecting onto a 10ft Wide screen (White).
    PJ is 9mts away approx.
    Didn't mention this earlier ;)

Mike.