Hitachi PJ TX100 vertical banding and shading?

M

morkys

Canadian here with a question for Hitachi PJ TX100 owners out there. I have a TX100 and so far without calibrating or tweaking it, I find the vertical banding is bad enough that it is distracting and the tinting, colour non-uniformity, shading or whatever you want to call it, is not so good either. How were peoples units in general for Vertical Banding and Colour Uniformity when they first set them up, and how much were they improved after calibrating and tweaking? I'm going to calibrate and tweak away shortly.

Also, was there anything about zoom, lens shift or anything else which aggrevates Colour Non-Uniformity?

I have to do the best I can to calibrate and tweak now before my 10 day period passes.

thanx in advance for any info,

:)

Is this a new machine? If so I'd look for an exchange 'cause from new the TX doesn't tend to show any VB. Combined with the c-unif problem you mention it definitely sounds unnacceptable.

Lots of lens shift tends to give slightly uneven focus across the pic, but it's not an issue and it doesn't contribute to the other effects you are seeing.

The factory menu does have a adjustments for all the things you see and may help. But you shouldn't have to delve into this on a new machine...PJ :)

I also have a PJTX100, and I have very very little VB, and the only time it is apparent is in those misty/foggy type scenes in MASTER AND COMMANDER. Unless I point it out to people, they are not aware of it..
Sounds like you might be unlucky and have a bad one there...I'd change it..

my VB is terrible but ive been putting up with it. simply for the fact is that i dont want to go through all the trouble with hitachi because knowing my luck it will take months. this is the only problem with my unit other than that the image is fantastic. my VB only came in after 45hrs it wasnt present before that. im now on about 135 hrs use so you can see how long ive put up with it

wow hitachi's customer support is good. had graet support for My CRT set and now this projector, top guys :thumbsup:

update will be getting a call tomorrow from the service center were they have a PJ there and they will advise me to do somethings probably in service menu. if after that then its onto retailer to get a new one so the guy says :D

Kopite4Ever said:
wow hitachi's customer support is good. had graet support for My CRT set and now this projector, top guys :thumbsup:

update will be getting a call tomorrow from the service center were they have a PJ there and they will advise me to do somethings probably in service menu. if after that then its onto retailer to get a new one so the guy says :D

Well, with Liverpool's away form, Moyes's smug gurning face, and wrangles over Friends series 10 you were due a break. :thumbsup:

...PJ

My unit is from Japan. I have until Friday to make use of a 10 day exchange of sorts, although I'll lose out on my return shipping insurance. I saved $726.00 Canadian and I still end up with a 2 year vs 1 year warranty (although the return shipping is only covered once).

I'm going to take it to a friends and calibrate it and also take it to someone's place to compare it with their TX100 so I know where I stand relatively speaking. I've heard of many people getting rid of vertical banding, so I'll have to do some research. I should have gotten on top of this right away, but I have until Friday.

Any more feedback is more than welcome :)

thanx folks :)

Chris

This is from an earlier post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181602&page=1&pp=15

[Getting to service menu]
Instructions below: 'key' means button on the remote; 'option' menas choice from on-screen menu

Go to 'easy menu'.
Select the 'reset' option (near the bottom)
Press key '->' (right arrow)
Press key and release key 'reset'. [NB this will not reset any of your settings]
Press and hold key 'reset' for about 5 seconds.
Copy down what appears on screen
When you've finished, press 'menu' to get rid of it, and then next time you press 'menu' you're back to 'easy menu')

[Adjusting vb. Some have said that this affects the warranty. I don't know]
I let the pj warm up for a good while (watched "Last Samurai" which I really enjoyed and would recommend). Maybe that's a bit long for a warm-up though - other folks recommend half an hour.

First I used VCOM first to minimise flickering (no flicker apparent afterwards)

Then NRSH to attempt to minimise the bands I could see. For low values the bands were white, and for high values they were black (or maybe vice-versa). For some mid-values, mostly about 180-220 though different for each colour, the bands were minimised as much as possible.

Then STRIPE. I had to get my eyes used to this, and sit quite close to the screen (about 40" away for a 70" diagonal sort of) with all other lights off.
For each colour, for each brightness group (0 to 4), I played with the values. Too high and white bands appear. Too low and black bands. In the middle and they mostly disappear. You'll see what to look for when you deliberately adjust the values badly - e.g. make it too high and the particular stripe is visible then as white, and you can watch it disappear and reappear as black when you reduce the value. Then you can slowly go back and find the middle value which minimises it. For some brightness groups the stripes appear in the darker bars, and for some brightness groups I found them in the brighter bars.
Red and green benefitted most from tweaking, blue much less so (and blue was really hard to do ).

Then back to NRSH just to see if a further round would help.

I've got it much better now - I can't be sure that I can see it at all in the foggy forest or smokey gun battles in "last samurai". I can even watch most( ) of "master and commander" without seeing vb . Where I think I can see it is when the mate(?) first uses a telescope to look for the Acheron in the fog bank.
I think I'm quite picky about this. I'd love to see someone else's projector though to see if mine is a horror or quite good now in comparison.

I hope this helps

Hi Wonks

This is good advice, I had a go at stripe and it certainly improved things. Couldn't see any flickering on VCOM hence didn't need to adjust that. Can't recall NRSH - must check that when I get a mo!

To be honest from your descriptions I think your VB is extremely minimal.

Cheers...PJ :thumbsup:

Actually, I went over to a fellow PJ owners place last night and we spent good while looking at my TX100. I tried to adjust Stripe but that alone didn't minimize vertical banding enough to satisfy me. I can still see it fairly easily in some scenes, and they don't need to be whole screen images. The colour tinting is also fairly bad. I will tweak more tonight. I got into the "factory" service menu but I have to press the button on the unit itself.

I will study the info here and also the link posted in this thread, along with the info over at AVS :)

thank-you all for your feedback,

Thank-you Wonky Ewok. So far you have provided the most useful feedback. I have printed it out and plan to use that info to use in my adjustments.

I have heard that some people have taken their PJ's and gone from significantly noticable vertical banding and colour non-uniformity and tweaked until they reached a much improved picture using a similar approach to what Wonky Ewok posted. Is there anything else helpful along those lines that I should try in my adjustments? Any other adjustments? I can't understand at all how to adjust the colour uniformity problem.

thanx

Any firmware updates for the Hitachi PJ TX100?

Any reason I'd want one? Or not want one ;)

Unusually, compared to the perennial firmware shenanigans of much of its peer-set, I've not seen any discussion of firmware updates on the TX...PJ

morkys said:
How are peoples TX100's?

Don't wanna answer that in case I'm tempting fate!

...PJ :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom