1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PJ-TX100 rated best pj for under a grand by T3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johann1979, Oct 11, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies if anything similar to this has appeared before - I'm in the market for a projector round about the £1 000 mark and have been reading a fair bit about them.

The latest T3 rates the Hitachi TX100 as the best pj in it's price range. What do you guys think? I've not seen much about it in the first couple of pages of the forum...

Thanks for your advice!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well with the difficulty in getting hold of the AE700 and Z3 I'd say it's the only HD PJ in its price range!. :D

Seriously though, the TX100 (good as it is) is "old news" now and it would be worth spending the extra few hundred quid on the TX200 or the Z4/AE900/TW600....PJ

3. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Spot on PJTX100

The 200 looks to be only £1099 ish and available very soon, so def wait for that!

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    ...is that incl VAT?

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind waiting - so thank you so much for the advice guys, been reading quite a bit and have to say that the Hitachi TX100 and TX200 both have some of the cheapest lamps to replace (in the region of £160 - £170) - which is a major plus. That means I would be able to use it for telly too - however, I am slightly concerned about the LCD panels degrading.

Texas Instruments' test was just enough to make me a bit worried, they didn't actually offer any real proof as to what would happen when a machine is not used 24/7 in a normal setting.

Has anybody here found the blue colour in the LCD projectors degraded over time?

I'm looking at the TX200, but the TX100 is on sale for about £860 inclusive of vat - that is a really good price, is the TX200 really so much better that is worth £300 more?

Thanks for your help guys... :)

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Being the inventors of DLP, hence with a vested interest in rubbishing LCD technology, that's exactly what they meant it to do.

Don't worry, bird flu or global warming will get us first. :D

The only disappointing aspect of the Hitachi is that you only get 12mth warranty by default, Sanyo is 3 yrs. You can pay to extend it of course...PJ

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be very honest, it was indeed the short warranty period compared to Sony and Sanyo products that made me wonder about the quality of the polysilicon LCD panels... Hopefully my worries are totally unfounded...

I saw the TX200 online (pre order) for about £1 300 - as a student I would find the £850 price tag of the TX100 much more suitable (if it is not a bad projector, as most say...)

I owned the Sony VPL-ES2 about 3.5 years ago and it was highly portable (something that is quite important to me) - it came in a laptop style case and was easily moved around. Is the TX100 quite portable too? I've noticed it is pretty heavy and there is no carry case supplied...

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Portability is not the TX's strength, it's pretty big though you can get a carry case for it (it comes with wheels). ;)

Also I'd definitely look for a longer warranty if you need something to lead a "portable" life...PJ

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you need a PJ now then hunt out a bargain Z3 for around £800 otherwise wait a couple of months to see which of the next gen crop comes out on top for around £1200. Or go on holiday to Japan and the airflight may well be free with the savings you will make over UK projector prices (it was for me when i bought my Z3 for £800 when it was £1250 here!!).

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I thought all Z3's were now sold?

11. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Confirmed around the £1100 mark inc VAT, we have our demo model and backup stock ordered and can't wait to see it in our dem room. The way Hitachi have been advancing on other 'quality' brands lately in the plasma/lcd market it should be interesting.

I don't think any distributers have the Z3's in stock, but perhaps an odd retailer may have an odd unit left but doubtful.

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Is the dem room on your Colne shop? If so I may pay a visit!...PJ

13. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, indeed it is :)

14. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hence the word "hunt" ! I bet a resourceful hunter could find a few in stock somewhere! Otherwise a secondhand one off the classifieds is the way to go for anyone seeking a bargain - esp with 3yr warranty!:thumbsup:

15. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

16. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've asked this before so so sorry for repeating myself, but do you guys really think the TX200 would be worth the £300 it costs more? See I'm a student and planning to blow my overdraft on this - so if I can get a decent projector for £850 (TX100), I would prefer not to pay £1100 for a couple of extra features...

17. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi

You're not really buying any extra "features" by waiting for the new model, just a general hike in contrast. (Of course i'm guessing here)

If you're looking for the best picture then you can get then I'd wait (most of the people on the forum would seem to fall into this camp! :) )

If you're more of a novice user (no offence) you will probably be extremely happy with the cheaper choice, it'll still give you a nice sharp picture, particularly for games/TV, the films would prefer you bought the newer model, but hey it's your money!

hope that helps, have fun with whatever you get, may I recommend an xbox360?

18. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah at the end of the day there is a reason sanyo got rid of the z3 stock before selling z4 and it MAY be that at the end of the day the difference is not huge. the best thing about the projectors mentioned are that they are hidef. and people are happy if not delighted with the image. I suspect the Z4 out of box will not be better than the Z3 calibrated following ROnes settings - but he will let us know in due course!

19. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am totally a novice! I've notched up the vast majority of my post-count over in the Mp3 and Portable Audio section.

I'm trying very hard to maintain a balance here; on the one hand I would like to make sure that I choose something that is the best value for money. I also want to make sure that I get a projector that's blue LCD panel will not wear out before the lamp does, that doesn't feel like I'm watching the world from within a chicken pen and that doesn't sound like a police helicopter hovering above the house when it is switched on, whilst on the other hand I am trying very hard not to get sucked in to deep into the world of projectors (as I have done with mp3's players) - which would inevitably develop the dangerous desire in me to have to get the latest and newest.

It's not too expensive having this sort of mentality when it comes to mp3 players, however as a student - I couldn't afford to feel like this about projectors.

I don't mind saving more and waiting for the TX200 (afterall, the replacement lamps are really cheap), but I would prefer to keep the £300 in my wallet if the PQ difference is as marginal between the TX100 and TX200 as the SQ difference between the iPod and Sony's NW-HD5 - in other words - almost none.

Thanks for all the help so far... :)

20. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my god 700 posts on mp3 players! i bet you could tell me a thing or two! like is the mp3 player i use any good (an orange spv m500 pocket pc phone which plays back most file formats).

okay as for your pj i would say get any HD projector for future proofing and quality. Here are my recommendations for you in order:

Sanyo Z3
    Hitachi TX100
    Panasonic AE700

You will need to hunt hard for a Z3 at retail - last selling price around £800 with extra free bulb) if you are really on a budget get a secondhand Z3 (say £500-£600 depending on lamp usage) from someone upgrading to a Z4 - they probably looked after it and it may not even be a year old and it has a 3 year warranty etc etc etc. subscribe to the classified forums here!

21. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Z3 seems a very popular choice on here - I am definitely looking into it and reading everything I can find about it. The lumen output is much less than the TX100 and as I have light coloured curtains would that prove to be problematic? On the other hand I would mostly be using it at night - but just incase...

About your Orange SPV M500, he he, smart phones double fine as on the go mp3 players or cameras - but nothing can beat a purpose built camera or player. All the latest phones seem to have 2MP cameras on board, which are quite amazing for a quick shot here or there - but you can imagine a purpose built digital camera would most definitely beat it where picture quality and functionality is concerned - same with mp3 players. :)

But to get back on topic - thank you very much to everybody that has contributed so far :)

22. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Performance-wise there is nothing between the Z3 and the TX100, the only reason people went crazy for it was because it was cheaper, came with a free bulb, and you got a 3 yr warranty (all good reasons!). Yes the TX is brighter, hence it produces and amazingly punchy and sharp image even on its darker (ie deep black) settings which is a pleasing feature.

Having not seen the TX200 I'd be guessing as to the improvements. On paper contrast is superior but I suspect that won't be the main thing, I think the better pixel fill and resultant reduced SDE with the new D5 panels will be the biggest improvement.

However I think you'll be well impressed with the TX100, so if the money difference is important then I can heartily recommend it - and you may well be able to drive a hard bargain with the TX200 imminent...PJ

23. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Unsolicited testimonial....I was really impressed with dealing with Benji's co. I had a Panasonic TUCTH100 (Freeview PVR) from him that didn't work and they were simply suberb about taking it back and refunding my money. You get fabulous service from him.

24. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as Johann, being a student that saved up £800 over the summer for a z3, only to see that it was now £690 without the free bulb. I panicked when I should have ordered and the next time I found my way back to the net, they were all gone. I struggle to find one for less than £850 now (typically with no free bulb). The tx100 being £880, I'm now fairly unsure what to buy. I definitely can't afford the new generation until they start having their prices knocked down in a year or two's time and I feel a bit of a chump spending so much when I missed out on a much better deal. I think I'd prefer a z3, but at this point I'd take any good value offer from the ae700/z3/tx100 set, except that they're all gone. The best deals, according to kelkoo, all come from pixmania's shifty exchange rate.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone seen either of these pj's in a good deal? I foolishly assumed they would be cheaper once their successors were released rather than disappearing from the market altogether.

25. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you've been foolish to have waited - what you did was sensible but did not pay off but you do still have options. Firstly calm down. Secondly I would say contact some of the German retailers and see if they have stock left and the price. From my research a year ago they were significantly cheaper then the UK retailers so if you do find stock you will solve your problem and keep on budget. If you're going to do this though do it quickly. Thirdly post a wanted ad in the classifieds forum and eg with the 3 year Z3 warranty (just make sure you get the reciept) you can buy with some level peace of mind.

26. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Members of this forum habitually upgrade, just wait a few weeks for the rush of second hand Z3, AE700, TX100's & more. Always happens and a good way to get a bargain.

27. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a coversion and you are right, they are loads cheaper than buying in the UK - but I have a little problem understanding what is going on as all the sights are only in German!

I'll try and find a phone number and call them instead - do you think they would have a problem phoning to the UK? Being as scared as I am about dead pixels - do you reckon all the handling during the shipment could increase such a chance... :) cheers :)

29. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it should be fine transporting in manufacturers box. DHL germany are very good and well used to transporting to uk. i bought mine back from japan without the box in my hand luggage - no problems!

"sprechen sie englische" should be handy for you :)

when/if you do this please post a thread about your experiences to help other consumers enjoy the savings :)

--
    PS if i was you (i love to travel) i would find a place to buy it and then book a cheap flight out there :)

30. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    sainthalo do you know of any decent german retailers? im actually in germany on business next week, im gonna be near karlsruhe.

Ich sprache ein bischen deutche, so alles gut.