1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PJ-TX100 Poor Build Quality?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by coldash, Sep 14, 2004.

1. coldash

coldash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these projectors about two months ago. The first one had to be sent back before the end of the first month as the fan was making a hell of a racket when you switched it on, (after about 15 minutes it quitened down to a dull roar). The replacement has been disappointing as well.

I replaced a Panasonic PTAE100, which was my introduction to projectors and it impressed me enough that I wanted to buy one of the new generation projectors.

My advice to anyone considering the Hitachi would be to think twice. The picture has exceptional detail, the range of adjustments are superb, but the overall build quality seems very poor. In a year and a half of owning the Panny I'd got one dust spot, in less than a month the Hitachi has three. 'Whisper Mode' has to be one of the marketing scams of the year, this beast is louder than the Panny I replaced and I've checked, (the one that had to be replaced was louder than the sound system).

If I could make the decision again I'd probably look at the new Panasonic projector.

2. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow! Someone thats NOT happy with their TX100!

People post on here all year through, the thing I have come to learn and know is that at the end of the day its down to personal choice and opinion.

All the time people say one is better than the other between Z2, TX100, Panny 500 etc

At the end of the day the best advice anyone can listen to on here is DEMO! :lesson:

That way people who buy have a better chance of chosing the right projector that suits them!

3. coldash

coldash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's kind of true, except in the case of the Hitachi a demo wouldn't have helped. The fan noise gets worse over time and from what I've learnt the amount of noise the fan generates varies a lot from one machine to another. Any dealer is going to be demoing a machine that is free of dust spots and as quite as it can be.

All of my problems manifested themselves several weeks after setting it up. In fact the Hitachi demo's very well, as I mentioned the picture quality is exceptional.

4. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know where i can demo a pjtx100 & a ptae700 in scotland ? if i demo a good one can i take it home :D

5. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must admit that I find my TX100 quite loud, even on the quitest settings. It's no problem when your have the sound up a bit but at night when I have the sound fairly low (due to being a considerate neighbour) I find it very distracting.

As coldash says this may not be readily apparant during a demo but if it gets to the stage where it bothers you it can detract from what is a superb picture.

KL

6. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got this projector totaly quiet ,superb pics.............. :clap: ........mate has a panasonic 100 sounds like a heater fan!!

7. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Hitachi and I am nothing but impressed by it. My projector seems to be quiet enough [i sit less that 1m from the projector quite often] and the building quality is suitable. I mean - this is not a £5000 projector - i think its very good considering the cost. I had to clean the filter the other day and though the build quality was good as it very easy to take apart and put back together again.