1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PJ-TX10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr Sparkle, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone have any personal experience of this new PJ from Hitachi ?

It's either going to be the PJ-TX10 or the Z1

Ivojo.co.uk have the PJ-TX10 for £907 (inc vat)

2. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WE got our Hitachi Illumina PJ-TX10 up and running today. Splendid piece of kit. We have no experience of any other home projectors so we cannot compare to other products. For the price it seems pretty good so far.

Tried it with Monsters inc, Lilo & Stitch, Wizard of OZ and Fellowship of the Ring. Colours and detail are stunning.

We would like to compare notes with other owners if there are any yet.

3. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aqualung,
    Good to know there is someone else out there who doesn't have a Panasonic or Sanyo PJ. I have now been a PJ-TX10 owner for two weeks.

I must admit that my pre-purchase expectations of the PJ-TX10 have been considerably exceeded!

I'm running a Toshiba SD330 via a Denon AVR1803 (with component video) and the screen images are nothing short of superb.

Cheers,

Mr Sparkle

4. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the review by Marco Bilello in What Home Cinema Projector it says that he found this PJ good from five foot away but at greater distances noise and screen door were more obvious. What is he on about? I want a long throw because I need to project from about 13.5 feet, and this unit seems very flexible on screen size from that distance, but would this make the picture bad? Any experience of this, Mr Sparkle?
    Joeki

5. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joeki,
    Coincidentally, I actually re-read Marco's review last night.....

I'm not sure how many users would actually have their PJ only 5ft from the screen ?

My PJ-TX10 sits about 6.5ft off the ground and projects 11~12ft across the living room on to the opposite wall.

The (x 2) zoom lens allows a screen size of ~3.5ft (min) to ~12ft+ (max) approx. Typically, I'm viewing a screen size of between 6~8ft. The lens shift is another invaluable feature enabling easy resizing and repositioning of the projected image.

Audible Noise ? what noise ? My viewing positioning is almost directly underneath the PJ and the only time it is heard is during very quiet/silent passages in movies....and then only if you are actually trying to listening for the projector and not concentrating on the movie.

The image ? yes the LCD resolution is 'only' 854 x 480 and by it's very nature you can see the LCD structure.....if you look for it. When watching Sky or a DVD I'm generally concentrating on the content rather than trying to see if I can see screen door. It's there, but I don't see it unless I look for it.

I consider the projected image to be excellent: colour saturation and contrast are very good. No visible noise.

Hope this helps.

Mr Sparkle

6. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Sparkle, thanks for the reply. Do you think Marco meant less than five feet from the screen not more than? Would I be right to think that the screen door visibility gets less when you are further away from the screen or the screen is smaller? I am seriously considering this PJ, but I want to be clear on this.
    Joeki

7. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, the screendoor effect is less prevalent the further you are from the screen image and/or the smaller the screen size (the same thing really).

I've re-read the review again and I'm unsure as to what Marco really means by his reference to 'we found the projector was best about 5ft from the screen'. There is no reference to the size of screen image that was being projected and the viewing distance from the screen.......

As I mentioned earlier I have no probs with screendoor from an 11ft viewing distance if I'm watching the content on a 6~7ft screen size rather than trying to see if I can see the LCD structure.

Mr Sparkle

8. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK think I will get one...will let you know when I have it running

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I have been looking into getting a projector.. This was one of those I have shortlisted along with the X1.. I need to use it quite near to the screen as I will be using it on a stand rather than on the ceiling and the nearer the screen it is the further away from me. (Also I can only fit a 69" screen in my bay hence it does not need to produce a mega image)

So I am looking forward to hearing your comments on it!

Cheers

Matt

10. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OMG, just finally got the settings right on our Hitachi and invited a home cinema fan/friend round to look at it and he is an absolute critic and insists you must have this and that. He was bowled over and said he has seen his brothers new set up which was supposed to be the best for a 2 1/2K budget and still our proj image was 10 times better. We are now super proud owners and would recommend this pj to anyone.

Presently watching Attack of the Clones with a approx 2 meter diagonal image and its prestine, has fantastic colours and the contrast is perfect even in whisper mode.

Ah to be married to a woman who loves the big screen more than me, did the right thing there didn't I !(shes an ex cinema projectionist)

11. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also, there is a 'budget' projector review in the new January 2004 issue of Home Cinema Choice:

Under test are the Hitachi PJ-TX10, HP VP6110, Panasonic PT-AE200E, Sony VPL-HS3 and the new Toshiba TLP-ET1.

Check it out.

The PJ-TX10 gets the 'Best Buy' award.

Mr Sparkle

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Like the sound of this projector, were to buy?
    I would like a free pixel check and a no squable replacement if i find problems.....Thanx

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Cool.. defo one to demo then :)

Matt