Hitachi PJ-TX10 - 26db too loud?

W

wixy

I just bought my first projector, a hitachi pj-tx10 (or home-1), which is rated as 26db in whisper mode. However I found this to be very noticeable. It sits about 1 metre from me. Not knowing about normal projector noise, should it be noticeable or should it be not noticeable at all?

Do you just take projector noise for granted?

Make sure you are in 'whisper'/low lamp mode. If you are then you will notice it only during quieter film scenes and you should get used to it very quickly.:smoke:

I hear two noises: The sound of the air coming out, and what sounds like a buzzing/motor noise. They are both about equal. Is that normal?

Wixy

I have PJ-TX10, also situated about 1 metre from my head and the noise is extremely minimal, this is the quietest lcd of all, I dont use mine in whisper mode at all

Mine is also about 3-4 foot above me, when seated, can't say that it is noticable at all. I can't even hear it.

Chris

My PJ-TX10 is also approx 1~1.5m above my head when viewing. I can only hear the projector if I conciously listen for it. I'm running in 'whisper' mode. Aside from that, as mentioned above, it is only occasionally apparent during quiet or silent scenes.

Mr Sparkle

Must agree with the above on noise, just got PJ-TX10 & have yet to install on ceiling mount, at the moment it's perched on coffeee table about a metre in front of me & noise is hardly discernible.
Yes, there is fan motor noise & air movement noise, but it's so low that unless you actively listen for it, when a soundtrack is on you don't hear it (even when not in whisper mode it's still pretty damn quiet !)
I would imagine that when I get it on the ceiling mount (mine is a shelf suspended on four lengths of studding effectively forming a bit of a sound baffle under the projector) it will be virtually silent.

...now getting a decent laserdisc picture out of it, thats a different question.............!!!!!

cheers,
Andy

not intending to hijack or anything but can you guys tell me where are the fan intake and exhaust on this projector. Just trying to consider where I would mount one.

thanks

The exhaust is on the front, the intake is on the right hand side (when you look at the front of the projector).

Mr Sparkle

Wixy, when you say you can hear it 10 metres away, is that in a silent house ? - I.e. there will always be noise from a LCD/DLP PJ due to the need for a cooling fan. I would sort of compare it when in whisper mode to the sort of sound level from a laptop when the fan's running. Therefore you shouldn't expect it to be totally silent, but if it's audible that far away over ambient noise level then there's probably something wrong with it. How many hours has it got on the filter ? Have you checked the filter element ?
Also, if your dealer is close by you could always nip in & have a listen to one to see if the sound of yours is incorrect.

cheers,
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom