1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Pj-tx 100 Reviews???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cologne, May 20, 2004.

1. cologne

cologne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know where I can find any reviews of the Hitachi PZ-T X 100? It seems to have all the features I need plus a good price but I need to read some experts' oppinions. Please hurry, the EURO2004 is coming fast!...
    Thanks, Nicholas
    :lease:

2. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are they even in stock anywhere as yet..?

3. Muzza

Muzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the first user review of the TX100 that was just posted by Ktak on the 'other forum' who lives in Japan
    Must say this does look promising...black levels :thumbsup: ... still dissapointed about the lens throw issue :mad:
    Cheers

----------------------------
    I just got back from Akihabara to look at the Hitachi, and I am seriously considering selling my Z2! They just recently set up the TX100 in the ground floor demo room along side the Sanyo Z2, Pana AE500, Sony HS-20, Epson 200 and Sharp Z200 (Matterhorn DLP). Because I already own the Z2, I really didn't want to be impressed by the Hitachi, but I have to admit that it's improvements over the Z2 were not subtle to my eyes or my wife's.

The first thing that hits you is the DEEP black level compared to the Z2 or AE500. It was very close to the Sharp in this respect, which is amazing considering the Matterhorn chip that the Z200 uses. Also, color fidelity seemed more accurate, with none of the blue/green tinge that the Z2 displays. I've owned the Z2 for about 6 months and this tinge never really bothered me, but after seeing the Hitachi I'm afraid it will aways be at the back of my mind. Skin tones on the Hitachi were also excellent.

While I was there, they had an HDTV feed of today's Seattle Mariners game (the Mariners are still big here because of Ichiro, despite the crappy season they're having). When we lived in Seattle, we used to live just a few blocks from Safeco field, so we've been to a lot of Mariners games. The colors of the stadium, field and uniforms on the Hitachi were much more like I remember them than either the Panasonic or the Sanyo. The blue of the team caps especially were spot on (Trust me, I've got 3 or 4 of them for comparison).

But like I said, it's the blacks on this projector that set it apart from all the other LCDs in the room. During the broadcast, the score is displayed inside a black box. This made it easier to compare the quality of the black on each screen. I closed down the Z2's iris all the way and tweaked the brightness, but I couldn't match the Hitachi.

Image sharpness was also superior to any other LCD unit on display. This is most likely due to the quality (and quantity) of the lens assembly. This lens is HUGE! My wife and I actually laughed when we saw it because it stood out compared to the others. I hope I never have to find a filter for this baby! This lens may in fact be responsible for the TX100's only "weakness" that I could see. The pixels seem to be slightly more visible than any of the other projectors on display. I double checked the focus on the other projectors and they were all zeroed in, but the Hitachi's pixels just seemed a little bit more "there" for lack of a better word. It's almost like the inferior lenses on the other projectors provide a automatic "defocus" that masks the pixels even when the projector is supposedly in perfect focus. The Hitachi on the other hand shows the pixel gap nice and clear. I'm sure a little defocus on the Hitachi would remedy this to some degree, but seeing the pixels so clearly was a bit disconcerting and the only negative that I could find.

Vertical banding was equal to the Z2 which was almost non-existent on the sample I saw. Fan noise was also very low and exhausts from the front mounted vent. I would rate it equal to the Sanyo in this regard.

By the way Zippo, I'm not sure about the voltage, but the OSD I saw were in English. ). I think you'll be very impressed with this unit when you see it. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only this is that there is nothing like smoothscreen, hence the visible pixels.

If it had something like smooth screen and sealed optics then it would likely win over the Panasonic AE500.

At the moment I'm still thinking of going for an AE500.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The way Ktak made it sound it seems the lack of additional processing to reduce screendoor effect is more than outweighed by the higher contrast and black level of the picture from the TX100. I would much rather a sharper overall picture than one without screendoor but softer too. You can always defocus slightly anyway if it bothers you but the liklihood is that if you are sitting the right kind of distance away it isn't gonna be a factor at all....

Anway, a quick look over the projector with some close-up photos and screenshots

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cine4home.de%2FMeldungen%2FCebitHitachi%2FTX100.htm&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

And a very long french forum thread:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29731899

Here's hoping there'll be one at CEDIA for me to see next week :smoke: