1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PJ-100TX To buy or DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hothotsun, Apr 14, 2005.

1. hothotsun

hothotsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: Please help I am getting conflicting reviews on this projector which type to buy?

my set up is as follows.

pioneer 575 dvd player
    yamaha 750 reciever

can someone give me some advice
    the lamp on the Hitachi PJ-100TX looks cheaper to replace.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The 575 via component into the PJTX100 is an excellent combination. The 575's Block Noise Reduction works wonders on the TX, as does setting sharpness to fine. My upscaling Sammy 745 via DVI doesn't beat the 575 via component.

The TX isn't the only option however. For around 1K there are many options both LCD and DLP. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.

...PJ

3. hothotsun

hothotsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the focus screenplay 4805 thats a DLP model so is it not worth getting a a DLP, but all these £1500+ is that for a snobbish level of clarity.

Is there anywhere I could a pjtx100 previewed in the wolverhampton Birmingham Area.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    the 4805 had dropped to £999 - and it is by all accounts an excellent machine for the money

it has lower resolution than the TX100 but that doesn't make a lot of difference for DVD - gaming, computers, HTPC applications are a different matter

optical lens shift is a feature many find very useful, not many DLP's have that

there was a recent TV shoot-out between the 4805 and TX100 and it has been discussed on this forum - have a dig around - you may be surprised judging by your comment on clarity

I don't know of any places where you can demo a TX100 - I'm sure they do exist though - I bought mine "blind" off the internet...PJ

5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 4805 has quite a bit lower resolution than the TX100 IIRC.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Yes it does, 854x480 compared to 1280x720 but it does have a higher contrast ratio, quoted at 2000:1

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    LCDs can sometimes suffer from vertical banding, dead pixels, uneven colour uniformity and poor black levels. It has only a 60% pixel fill rate (the rest is gaps between pixels), whereas DLP has 88% or better. DLPs don't suffer from the above possible LCD failings and generaly offer better black level and contrast. It's a personal preference as to which image ypu prefer though, all else being equal.

The downsides of DLP are mainly rainbow effect and/or eyestrain/headaches which some people suffer from. Dead mirrors are covered by TIs warranty.

I feel that (IMHO) DLP offers a better image quality over LCD, but LCDs still offer an impressive picture and are good value.

To decide which technology is for you, you should demo the machines in question and decide which you prefer, and if you see any image improvements in DLP, is it worth the extra cost?

All projection technologies have their pros and cons, and none are perfect, so it's just a case of pick your poison according to your wallet.

Gary.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Nice one, a good summary. :thumbsup:

Do you happen to know the pixel fill rate for normal TV?

...PJ

9. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Right here we go. (This might surprise a few of you ;) )

For around the grand mark. You really can't go wrong with modern home cinema projectors these days.

Sure, I prefer DLP machines because they tend to give you much better contrasts and that all important (for me) black level but LCD machines tend to have higher resolutions and richer colours although I find DLP machines colours are very true to life especially in skin tones.

I'm on my forth projector and to be honest, none of them are perfect. I went from a AE200 LCD projector (a very respectable machine in it's day) to a BenQ PB6100 DLP and was really blown away. And you can pick them up for less then 600 quid new.

It really doesn't matter which one you go for. LCD or DLP. Both machines will look stunning believe me :)

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    pj,

Sorry but I don't know what the fill rate is on a tv - I'm guessing that the mask may be the equivalent to that (dot pitch?), and how that works in conjunction with the CRT beam and phosphor I don't know. There's also the line structure that is often visible, and generaly we sit a lot further away from a tv than a projector screen (average of 2x screen width), I would think that the tv has a worse 'fill' than a projector. All just unneducated guessing though. :)

hotsun,

Cyber makes a good point - for your first pj you will be very impressed with whatever you buy. You just have to be aware of upgradeitus and how long it may be before you'd like to get something better. That's why a demo can be a double edged sword - ignorance is bliss. :)

Gary.

11. hothotsun

hothotsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how in the world do i justify to my wife upgrading my projector. I am just finishing spending around 5k converting a garage into a home theater (with a bar)
    and another 3k on all new av gear (i hate cash converters- sold my old gear)

should i not spend around 1500 on a projector and ignore the PJ-100TX what would be recomended at that price.....

confused and scared...

donnie brasco is on telly

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    if your pushing 1500 the new sony LCD could be a contender :D i keep calling it new but its been out a while but its their latest model i think //end babbling

sony HS50 and apprently its amazing by all accounts. alot of forum users have this model and im sure you can find several threads by us on it

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    You have to demo before buying anything - don't ignore anything untill you've seen it. You may love a £1000 pj because you felt a £1500 pj was not £500 better.

The HS50 is probably the best LCD at that price currently, but some say it's too dim. Others have gone from DLP to the HS50 whilst others have gone from the HS50 to a DLP. There's no real answer we can give you as it's a personal preference. There are also the technical aspects of screen size, screen gain, lumens and seating position.

If you see a pj you like and are flexible with screen size, get it home and project onto a matt white wall. Try various sizes and decide which is best for you. If you want a certain sized screen, then it may come down to which pj has enough lumens or you need a screen with some gain.

Gary.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I don't fully agree with this - for a first time buyer. If they had a full line up of PJs in every electrical retailer I'd say yes. But as it stands, you could spend 6 months trying to demo everything. By then the latest and greatest would have been released and you'd have to start again.

As I said in my very first reply, and as you agreed with Cyber who made the identical point, there's a number of options around the 1K mark both DLP and LCD and none of them would disappoint.

Yes they'll be different in some ways, some will have the edge over others in certain aspects, but the difference will not be radical enough to warrant a concerted effort to demo every option.

I'll temper my views by saying, predictably, that the only caveat is DLP. Rainbows, as we all know, only affect a tiny minority to a sufficient level to be a problem. But to the minority they are a showstopper. Hence, a demo of DLP is a wise option - if possible. If not, then the odds are it will all be OK. As a back stop, the distance selling regs do allow return within 7 days (I think).

Of course, if you are not a first time buyer - that's whole different ball game. You'll then know what you're looking for and what you need. Demoing is important is this scenario...PJ :)

15. hothotsun

hothotsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to add further confusion....but when I go to the cinema the picture always seems grainy.

I am guessing that even a £1000 lcd will give me a better picture than that?

Furthermore techno gadgety dudes will we ever be happy......? I am too materialistic....later on in life I will become a buddhist.

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    PJ,

I only say to demo because I've seen quite a few posters both here and on avs who have bought projectors sight unseen and regretted their purchase. DLP rainbows and the LCD cons I mentioned being the main reasons generaly.

Captain Benefit had to return both an NEC HT1000 and a Sony HS50 which he bought without viewing, and couldn't live with either. The HS50 had nearly all the usual LCD negatives. That's why I have said in the past that not only should you demo, but with LCD, you should try to demo the actual unit you will be taking home because of dead pixels and panel uniformity issues. If the company has a good returns policy then it's not a major problem.

If you buy without seeing a few examples of a projector beforehand then you subject yourself to the possibility of getting something you won't be very happy with. It's also very possible that you will be very pleased instead, but it's your money and your risk. I'm just trying to be helpfull by pointing out the caveats.

Its not uncommon for someone to have the 'WOW' factor with their first projector, only to start seeing things that distract them or spoil their viewing because they've become aware of them later on. Like I said, I'm just trying to be helpfull.

Hotsun,

Picture grain can bee seen in DVD transfers as well, and sometimes DVD will add it's own grain to an image. Projection technologies also have their foibles which you may or may not see in the image so like I said before, try to demo if you can.

Gary.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, I do agree that PJ's don't seem to be the most reliable machines on the planet. And I don't doubt that there are people who have not been pleased with their sight-unseen purchase.

In an ideal world get a demo. But I still think anyone buying their first PJ has an very good chance of being pleased with their purchase even though they are buying blind. There aren't many "turkeys" in terms of modern PJ's as far as I can make out. And generally if issues are going to emerge, they will after a some time, not during a demo.

As for cinema grain, I think there's a lot of variation in the quality from cinema to cinema, owing to many factors. I'd say on balance the pic I see on my PJ is superior to the cinema (in terms of clarity), as long as the DVD transfer is well managed. You can't beat the sheer size impact of the cinema though...PJ

18. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Actually I think the distance selling regs required the item to be returned unused, in a re-saleable condition. So assuming the lamp says it's been used for an hour then it might be tricky returning it 'unused'.

I didn't demo my Panny AE100 and was bowled over by it. The contrast sucks mind. I need to demo a decent home cinema DLP, the office DLPs give me eye strain :(