Hitachi picture settings help

C

colsa

Guys, i have just purchased a p42h01, hitachi 42 inch plasma tv, im just watching the tv as normal ( not hd ), but i am sick of messing about with the picture settings, can anybody help me with the picture settings on this tv please.

When im watching sky sports the picture is near perfect, however, when i change channel and watch say " paramount comedy ", the picture doesn't seem as crisp and sharp,

brightness 30
contrast 36
colour 26
sharpness 25

thanks thms, was just wanting to know what other people had there picture settings set to realy, just to give me some idea, as i think im miles off with mine :)

thanks thms, was just wanting to know what other people had there picture settings set to realy, just to give me some idea, as i think im miles off with mine :)

you might be interested in this chart which shows the lines of resolution on freeview.

http://www.mymuxdata.tk/

ps.
brightness controls black levels and you might need to set it lower
contrast controls white levels and you might need to set it higher
sharpness can cause a blurry image if not precise. take a lot of time to get this accurate (the scrolling text on sky news is useful when you are doing this)

ah thanks thms, got it set up for my eyes the best i can now

warm screen
brightness 62%
contrast 68%
colour 46%
sharpness 30%

it looks pretty damn good to me, thanks for your replies, much appreciated :smashin:

ah thanks thms, got it set up for my eyes the best i can now

warm screen
brightness 62%
contrast 68%
colour 46%
sharpness 30%

it looks pretty damn good to me, thanks for your replies, much appreciated :smashin:

hi m8 just got the same set like it but i get green flashes on certain things the film sin city was very bad for it get it on games aswell do you notice it on your set.

not noticed anything like that as of yet, mind you, i aint sat down and watched a film or anything right through yet, just been concentrating on getting the picture set up right for me, i dont play games anyway, and i aint got an aerial on my roof, i watch everything through my eurovox, i'll be watching alot of tv over the weekend, so will give an update early next week, :)

not noticed anything like that as of yet, mind you, i aint sat down and watched a film or anything right through yet, just been concentrating on getting the picture set up right for me, i dont play games anyway, and i aint got an aerial on my roof, i watch everything through my eurovox, i'll be watching alot of tv over the weekend, so will give an update early next week, :)

thanks m8 if you have sin city try it that shows it up most also snatch it's a green flash around the edge of objects some plasma's do it some don't hope you dont see it as it will pi-- you off if you do.if you don't see it at all i will try another p42h01 before i get a refund.

thanks m8 if you have sin city try it that shows it up most also snatch it's a green flash around the edge of objects some plasma's do it some don't hope you dont see it as it will pi-- you off if you do.if you don't see it at all i will try another p42h01 before i get a refund.

i was watching a hitachi plasma the P50T01 in comet, they were playing the movie wild wild west and there was an intermittent green flash while this was on. i thought it was due to interference rather than a fault. there has been a lot of changes to freeview channels recently and you might want to try a new install of the freeview channels. just a hunch. also check all you connections to other equipment, like video and dvd players, especially the aerial connections.

i was watching a hitachi plasma the P50T01 in comet, they were playing the movie wild wild west and there was an intermittent green flash while this was on. i thought it was due to interference rather than a fault. there has been a lot of changes to freeview channels recently and you might want to try a new install of the freeview channels. just a hunch. also check all you connections to other equipment, like video and dvd players, especially the aerial connections.

the green flashes are phosphor lag some plasms' do it some don't.my hitachi does it and it's obvious easy to see on certain things.my m8 has a hitachi different set and he says his doesn't do it but he had a pioneer before that did.the only thing i don't know is if the same model set one may do it and another not will wait to see if colsa can see it on his set.they say that some people can't see it but everyone can notice it on my set that has seen it.

no green flash at all, the picture is perfect :thumbsup:

one thing i have noticed though, and this is peeing me off, sometimes peoples faces look errmm, dunno how to explain it, like a 70s top of the pops video, blurry?, like krytons face off red dwarf,

whats your memory picture settings oxman?

turned the colour down, and this has seemed to have helped with the face problems, mind you, it could all be in my head, im messing about with the picture settings that much

no green flash at all, the picture is perfect :thumbsup:

one thing i have noticed though, and this is peeing me off, sometimes peoples faces look errmm, dunno how to explain it, like a 70s top of the pops video, blurry?, like krytons face off red dwarf,

whats your memory picture settings oxman?

the green flashes happen at the edge of objects bright objects against dark backgrounds the film sin city shows it worse flashes every few seconds. watched football yesterday and the lines on the pitch would have a green tinge around them i notice it on everything now and again.apart from this i like the set but can't keep it with the green flashes.my settings on memory are
brightness 20
contrast 25
colour 18
tint 0
sharpness 15
colour temp normal
cinema mode video

yes oxman, i noticed that on the football yesterday, on bbc1, i was watching the england match, and when the camera was following the fast moving ball from distance, the lines on the pitch were blurry, as if the were struggling to keep up with the rest of the picture, however, when i turned it over onto sky sports to watch a different match, the picture was perfect, weird, but yeah, i noticed that on the england game to be honest, and it did pee me off, dunno what to do now, i'll give my set a week or so, if it bugs me then i will try and change it

yes oxman, i noticed that on the football yesterday, on bbc1, i was watching the england match, and when the camera was following the fast moving ball from distance, the lines on the pitch were blurry, as if the were struggling to keep up with the rest of the picture, however, when i turned it over onto sky sports to watch a different match, the picture was perfect, weird, but yeah, i noticed that on the england game to be honest, and it did pee me off, dunno what to do now, i'll give my set a week or so, if it bugs me then i will try and change it

just noticed the 70's effect on the rugby watching wales now and on the players faces sometimes it looks like a 70's pop video.going to return mine m8 phoned tesco this morning.the green flashes on mine is the worst problem just can't put up with it surprised that there is motion blur aswell expect it on a lcd but not on a plasma.think i may get a lcd now i have a 19"lcd only problem is motion blur but not as bad as the green flashes.will get the panny or sony 100hz which should,t have to much motion blur also will get smaller screen which helps hide bad picture quality.

dunno what to do, the face thing is doing my head in, i bought the tv mainly for watching sport, and i cant be doing with this dodgey football pitch thing, i bought mine from argos for 700 quid, argos have a 40 inch sony lcd in for the same price, i might try to swap, will go onto the lcd section and ask in there about this 40 inch sony lcd, what a carry on :mad:, i aint got the box the plasma came in now, shouldnt be a problem, i think i might phone hitatchi tomorrow and ask about issues with the p42h01, lets know how you get on oxman

dunno what to do, the face thing is doing my head in, i bought the tv mainly for watching sport, and i cant be doing with this dodgey football pitch thing, i bought mine from argos for 700 quid, argos have a 40 inch sony lcd in for the same price, i might try to swap, will go onto the lcd section and ask in there about this 40 inch sony lcd, what a carry on :mad:, i aint got the box the plasma came in now, shouldnt be a problem, i think i might phone hitatchi tomorrow and ask about issues with the p42h01, lets know how you get on oxman

best speak to hitachi first see what they say m8 as for argos they can be funny about refunds and swaps would phone them see what they say first best to say it's faulty as you dont have the box.is the sony the kdl 40U2000 don,t know much about this set the d3000s are meant to be good.asda and tesco are pretty good for tv's 28 day returns.you can't tell what a set is like from a few minutes watching in store so best to buy from somewhere you can return them.the 70's effect could be freeview poor picture quality i noticed it on the rugby on players faces on the same channel when in the studio the picture was fine will watch hd movie later dont think it will do it then.

there are factory set settings for movie, sport and standard
did you use your custom setting for watching sport?

yeah, tried everything to be honest thms, used the sport settings to watch sport, tried my custom settings, same result, dodgey faces and the playing surface moves about when the camera moves quickly, im afraid its going back, thing is, i aint kept the box, still, the tv aint right, they gonna have to do something, id prefer a totaly different tv model

yeah, tried everything to be honest thms, used the sport settings to watch sport, tried my custom settings, same result, dodgey faces and the playing surface moves about when the camera moves quickly, im afraid its going back, thing is, i aint kept the box, still, the tv aint right, they gonna have to do something, id prefer a totaly different tv model

the 70's effect is much worse on freeview just been watching rugby on freeview and on normal sd and it's far worse on freeview because its digital don't notice it on normal sd.when the camera moves quickly i get ghosting like a double image with a green tinge happens on everything.if you can m8 get a refund asda have the sony lcd you were thinking about if you buy it there you can get a refund easy if you don't like it if you swap the hitachi for it at argos i doubt they will let you change it if you don't like it and will be stuck with it.to be honest i had a goodmans 28 widescreen crt and the picture was alot better than the plasma and lcd i have.

yeah, ive got no option other than to buy at argos, as its through an insurance claim, will go to argos tomorrow, mention the bad picture, mention i know of others with the same problem, tell them i dont want it, and ask to swap for this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...6.Televisions>C$Brand=Panasonic.Panasonic.htm i will have to add extra money, but its supposed to be a good set,, just been watching tv, and the 70s thing doesnt seem too bad,

yeah, the picture on my 28 toshiba was better than this hitachi 42

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom