1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Picture format - which one??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by micol, Oct 22, 2004.

1. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone else got a Hitachi 42DP5200 and find that the picture setting on some channels never seems quite right. I especially notice it while watching Sky Sports football. The auto setting is "Panoramic" and by pressing the zoom button on the remote it scrolls through the various others. Most of the others either zoom in and you then loose things like the score & sky sports logo. Most seem to "Squash" the picture and it just dosen't look right. The only setting which looks correct is the standard 4:3 but of course you get a smaller picture and ugly vertical bands either side!

Is there a setting i need to tweak? I thought sky sports was broadcast in widescreen, so it should look right shoudn't it?

Is it just me or has anyone else had / having this problem?

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Is your Sky box set to 16.9? If you have it set to 4.3 this will affect how the zoom button works on the 5200.

3. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good question. I'm pretty sure it's set to 16:9 but I will double check! Thanks.

4. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My sky box is set to 16:9 and there is a second option underneath so I have set that to 16:9 also.

The problem only bugs me when watching footy as the players all look small & stocky close up! On other channels like E4, when set to auto, half the E4 logo is cut off but the picture looks fine? On sky sports the logo is about 2" down from the top of the screen and the picture dosen't look right.

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The only other check would be to make sure your Sky box is outputting RGB and that your TV is also set to RGB. I think that's one reason you don't get auto switching.

6. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm pretty sure that both are outputting RGB. TV definately is. I do get autoswitching but it just doen't look right on some channels.