1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD7200 v "new?" 42PD5200(H)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rick4, Jul 14, 2005.

1. rick4

rick4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

New to all this and it does seem quite daunting, how you can get stitched up going in to a retailer and reading this site!

If anyone can help, I am either looking at getting the Hitachi 42PD7200 or the 42PD5200(H). This last model seems to be described as (H) “new” on Pricerunner.co.uk. The problem is the cheaper 5200 seems to have more features like progressive scan, being a novice I thought this seems better?
    Its also HD ready (according to the logo’s with web pictures) but I am not sure what this means exactly as I can’t see details of it having a HDMI socket.

I’m also not sure if the best thing is to go for an external control box or have it all integrated?

If anyone can offer advice I’d appreciate it.

Basically looking to spend about £2k, want the TV to be HD compatible/ready without the need to add parts.

Thanks very much

Rick4!

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most would say go for the 7200.

Not sure if progressive scan works on alis screen

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Yes 7200, definitely.
    Both are interlaced screens because of the way they alternately light the lines, if I understand correctly.

Although this is not a problem :smashin:

4. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi. The Hitachi 42PD7200H has been upgraded so that it can receive a 720p50Htz picture. The 42PD5200 only does 720p @ 60Htz. I emailed Hitachi about a possible software upgrade for my 42PD5200, they told me that it is a decision to be made by Hitachi Japan IF Sky are really committed to 720p50Htz. I might not have to buy a new plasma TV after all.

Cheers, Neil
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. Gadget King

Gadget King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 42PD5200H looks a great deal at the moment.

You can get it for under 1400 quid (unless anyone has found it any cheaper??) with a free portable DVD player (worth 150 quid plus) and it IS 720p 50Hz compatible. It is an upgrade from the 42PD5200. No it doesn't have an HDMI slot but you can get a DVI to HDMI cable easily, and suffers no picture quality loss. Completely SKY HD ready.

Yes, the picture might be very slightly better (arguable) on the 7200 and you get a motorized stand (who really needs?) but is that worth 500 quid plus a nice portable DVD player.....

6. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is very interesting Neil. I'm really worried about the future of my 5200. I prefer the look of it over the 7200 and agree that the motorised stand is pretty worthless.

I would be very interested in a software upgrade if one became available/possible. Could you give me the e-mail address for Hitachi so I can badger them too? maybe we should start a petition?

7. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  8. si1972

si1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One advantage the Hitachi 42pd5200 owners have is that the SKY branded plasma was a rebadged 42pd5200. Now if I had bought a SKY branded plasma and then SKY HD wasnt compatible I would be very annoyed... So I would expect a software update to be available... Well im hoping so...

9. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hitachi 42PD5200 can only do 720P @ 60Hz and 1080I @ 50 and 60Hz.Though i suppose you can use a scaler to do the job for you to convert 720P@50 to 720P@60 signals :cool:

Hitachi 42PD5200H & 42PD7200 can do both 720P @50 and 60Hz apart from 1080I @ 50 and 60Hz :)

Regarding picture quality 42PD5200 and 42PD5200H are the same thing with I3 Intelligent Image processing technology. The 42PD7200 has Picture Master FC6 picture processing and a colour palette of up to 68.6 billion colours. This models also sports the remote controlled swivel base. I would definitely go for the Picture Master :thumbsup:

5000 series models have the A1 ALiS panel while the 7000 series the A2 ALiS panels. ALiS panels are NOT interlaced but odd and even lines are displayed all at the same time at a frequency of 60Hz alternating between each other. Technically this can improve panel lifetime by 67% apart from obtaining superior brightness dues to its panel rib structures. In Interlaced displays the upper line is displayed first and the bottom one as last, and at a rate dependant on the tube/screen, but no line is displayed at the same time as another. The screen is "scanned" from top to bottom by the CRT gun (cathode) at a stable frequency rate :lesson:

Hope this helps :D

Cheers :hiya:

10. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Ok everyone seems to be confused.

The 5200 H is not HD Ready, it has had a software upgrade to allow 720p @ 50hz through the DVI imput, as the 5200 could not accept 720p @ 50hz. This is the only difference between the H series and the rest.
    The 5200 H can still not accept 720p @ 50hz through it's component imputs.

The 7200 is fully HD ready and can accept 720p @ 50/60 and 1080i @ 50/60 through the HDMI,DVI and COMPONENTS imputs making it fully HD Ready..

11. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi
    I have just bought the Hitachi 7500, its the same as the 7200 but with built in tuner and free view. I paid £1950 from Empire Direct, it's been running now for approx 5 weeks and the picture is excellent. so I'd recommend the Hitachi.

Lee

12. GIR

GIR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a PD7200 about a month ago I am delighted with it. So what if the swivel is a gimmick - I can only recommend it. :thumbsup:

13. JimmyCobra

JimmyCobra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the 5200 will revert to native 768x1024 with some dvd players it does with my hacked sammy 850 through component.
    so i dont feel like ive lost to much.

i have had a long run in with hitachi who moved the goal
    posts with retailers by releasing the H model and relegating
    the E model to none HD compatable

i took this up with the retailer who has offerd me 3 choices
    swap for 6600/ pay diff to 7200/very sizeable discount on
    my current 5200E

i have taken the discounted price as the 5200 is worth more than it now cost me. ok the 7200 might have the slight advantage in pq and the 5200H is called HD compatable because it will accept all signals via the DVI but not component.

hitachi responce to me

Thank you for your email.

HDTV broadcast services will start in Europe in 2006. This will deliver viewers the best picture quality ever seen in the history of broadcast television. HDTV refers to the highest-resolution format of digital broadcast TV. While there is still some discussion about what is true HDTV, it is generally accepted that 1,080-line interlaced (1080i) or 720-line progressive (720p) are HDTV. A TV that is described as 'HDTV-ready' is usually capable of properly displaying at least 1000-line interlaced or 720-line progressive.

32/42PD5200. These sets cannot be called "HD Ready" because to do this you need to be able to accept and display 1080i 50/60 & 720p50/60 via DVI and Component. We can show 1080i 50/60 but only 720p60.

42PD5200H. Again we cannot call this set "HD Ready" but we are calling it HD Compatible. It can accept all signals via the DVI and all signals except 720p50 via component.

32/42PD7200 Fully Compliant with "HD Ready" specifications.

The Good News:
    Sky have confirmed that the first HD boxes will allow you to select the output, so you can select 1080i (which we think is the best signal anyway) and connect via the Component input. This means that you can view ALL sky programmes including HD broadcasts. It may also work via the DVI socket but this is a bit more complicated and we will need to see a Sky box before we can confirm.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.

my reply

Thank you for your reply but the datasheet on
    the Hitachi web clearly states all resolutions
    at both 50/60 hertz for the 42pd5000 series
    through component
    http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/brochures/en_GB/42pd5000_datasheet.pdf

INPUT SIGNAL FORMAT
    Component 480i,480p,576i,575p,720p,1080i [50/60]

i bought this plasma believing your information.
    i did a little homework before i bought a plasma tv
    and the datasheet on your web site would suggest
    i was covered in all situations regarding HD

upscaled dvds using what seems to be the set standards surrounding HD 720p is 50 hertz
    and obviously i can not view that resolution on the plasma.

i have not found any site on the web even hitachi that states
    there are two varients of the same model.
    and retailers are not aware of this fact, and so the consumer
    is not aware inclueding myself.

most sites declare the pd5200 as HD ready or at least HD compatible.

their reply

Unfortunately we can not be held responsible for the advertising of a retailer or the lack of product knowledge a retailer holds. When purchasing a new appliance it is always advisable to contact the manufacturer before hand to clarify any information especially where new technology is concerned.