1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD7200 has 4093 gradations per hue, is it =16 billion colours; PV500=8b,XDE=7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DFL, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry if this seems dumb, but it has been irritating me for a while. The Pioneer 435XDE boasts 7 billion colours which is 1920 gradations per colour. Likewise the Panasonic 42PV500 is 2048 gradations per hue or colour and this is equivalent to 8 billion colours. Now the Hitachi PD7200 boasts 4093 gradations per hue.

1) Does this mean the Hitachi has almost 16 billion colours? Should this mean it has better contrast than the other 2. I realise you have to test with your eyes, but reviews in magazines (I know...) consistently say the Hitachi underperforms in the contrast area in terms of blacks, whereas the Pioneer and Panasonic are always well received and reviewed in this regard.

2) Why do they never advertise how many billion colours a LCD tv can do, is it because PDP are more advanced in terms of gradations of colour? Is this why plasmas have a better "3D feel"?

3) Lastly, I have found the assistants at store less than knowledgeable in the area of HDTV at times. A guy yesterday wanted to sell me a Panasonic PE50 and despite it being SD said it looked better than the Pioneer 435XDE, (they don't have PV500 in Dublin yet!) Am I being cynical thinking this guy just wants to get rid of old stock? I am now considering, due to price, that a Panasonic PE50 (1,094 gradations) SD tv and upgrading later even though it is the same price as the Hitachi PD7200.

Thanks for comments.
    D

2. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be honest Darren, I find all this wild boasting about the colour processing that these manufacturers do slightly embarrassing.

For many years 24bit colour was considered 'true colour'. This allows for 8 bits per channel or a grayscale of 256 colours. This gives a total of 'only' 16.7 million colours!

This can be perfectly adequate.

The quality of the processing involved and the source material etc is likely to have a far more noticeable effect on the reproduction of colours than simply upping the bit limits.

I'm afraid, as always, the best way to judge which set you like best is view it with your own eyes and compare it to others, rather than relying on a manufacturers spec list.
    :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And to further that line, if I may, the manufacturers contrast figures are a total nonsense. Nobody, and I really mean nobody, produces a panel anywhere near a true 1000:1 yet. And the ability to display 16 billion colours does not mean you will see any more (or less) difference between the whitest white and the blackest black. Other processing factors count for more than this, though nowadays almost all panels are more than 24bit. Quoted contrast ratios get more out of touch with reality as you head out of Japan, for some reason. Hitachi, Pioneer and Panasonic all 'over quote' but by roughly the same proportion, but the new '10000:1' panels by Samsung and LG have less measured contrast than Panasonic's and only just more than the paltry 1500:1 quoted by Hitachi. So, as the voodoo guy says, have a look at some, see what you think. Of course, money comes into this too, and the Koreans may stretch a point on figures, but the do stretch your plastic a bit less.

4. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I get so bogged down by sepcs sometime, that it distracts me from the joy of auditioning and choosing the next big toy.

5. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, what MAW says about the contrast is also true.

But I would go further than this again (if I may)

People on here do often tend to get bogged down with stats whether its contrast ratios, bit depth, brightness, number of pixels, number and type of connections etc etc etc.

I'm a very firm believer that there really is only one way to find out what the performance of a TV means to YOU (and remember it's what YOUR eyes think of YOUR TV that really matters).
    You have to try to see it in action and preferably using the sources and connections you intend to use at home.
    This isn't always easy, but sometimes salesfolk will go to extraordinary lengths if they think they'll get a couple of grand out of you (the obsequious sods!!! ;) )

6. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And may I congratulate MAW on a most well reasoned and unbiased answer!

. . .and you didn't even try to get him to buy a Panasonic off you either!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :D

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would say specs mean nothing contrast ratings are never anywere near true ratings and more resolution does not mean more detail and the colour thing is just stupid.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Baron, folks rarely buy anything from me, and I've little interest in a box sale with £50 in it plus a load of hassle. I sell whole systems, which seems to heve the perception of being hideously expensive for some reason. The new Hitachis have also gained a little more of my respect than the previous ones, so far. Still not sure about Hitachi's backup, so it'll be a bit longer before I start actually recommending them.

9. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    MAW, have you managed to have a play with a 7200 yet ?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it versus earlier Hitachi's and relative to Panny's etc.

10. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW:
    I can imagine.
    My brother used to sell computer systems a while back. He told me that someone brought one back once because they couldn't find the 'ANY' key.
    Problem was whenever they loaded up a bit of software and it said 'PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE" they thought it was bugged.

I'm SO-O-O-O glad i've never worked in sales!! ;)

He doesn't either now.
    ha ha ha