1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD7200 Cabling & wall mounting - Pics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by BabyNSX, Sep 24, 2005.

1. BabyNSX

BabyNSX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done the research, done the cash. PD7200 had to go up on the wall and this is what I went for as an install. All DIY and I think it looks good, I hope you agree.

I wanted a good fix on the wall so I went for the RS100 universal tilting mount. After a test, I decided that the tilting mechanism wasn't what I was expecting so I decided to mount it flat. I think it looks better flat anyway and it's not too high up. Eleven anchor bolts ensured it will never come down.

Out came the mother of all drills, and I made a v deep channel for the cables in the brickwork. I went a bit overboard here but I knew that I had to bury all the cables now, even the ones I wouldn't be using. I made sure I had purchased all the cables for all the inputs beforehand, so I was completely futureproofing the install.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used these little brackets to hold the cables in place while I plastered the wall.

[​IMG]

Used undercoat plaster and then finishing plaster for that smooth effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife decided that it was a good time to re-paint the whole room as I had made such a mess of her wall. So that slowed me down a bit. :(

[​IMG]

Finally, rigged up all the kit, and this is it - what do you think? :)

Hitachi 42PD7200
    Sky + (upgraded to 160gb)
    Homebrew Xbox
    Modded PS2
    Pioneer DV-656A DVD Player
    Yamaha DSP-E800
    Rotel RB-985 Power Amp
    Mission FS2 speakers
    Black Rhodium Rhythm cabling

[​IMG]

2. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    very nice!

Mines still on the stand which i prefer for now but to be honest the moterised stand is a bit of a gimmick! It works but i have used it twice in 3 months

Azz

3. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That looks very nice :thumbsup: :clap:

4. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,340
    Looks really neat and tidy, i have my 7200 on the wall but haven't bothered to sink the cables in yet ,the missus is starting to mention this fact quite often now ,maybe i'll have to get my finger out soon lol.

5. Serkie

Serkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Top effort! Well done.

6. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looks superb, well done, I want to wall mount mine but the wife wont let me! Would you believe that, but part of the deal of having a plasma was that I had to redecorate, this is being done ion the next few weeks, that is when final decision about mountingt the TV will be made!!!

7. BabyNSX

BabyNSX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks (all)

re: the decorating, it's the perfect opportunity to wall mount. You'll be messing up the wall anyway so you'll have to redecorate. And it's such a space saver being up on the wall. I am lucky, we have a son almost 2 years old and he would mess up the TV if it was within reach - he already likes pressing all the buttons on the AV kit and turning up the volume to the max :nono:

8. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BabyNSX that looks fantastic - well done mate, truly a showpiece :thumbsup:

I'm gonna try and do the same and need to channel my walls out - i was thinking of using an SDS drill - is that what you used? How long did it take for you to do that channel?

:D

9. BabyNSX

BabyNSX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I used a SDS Rotary Hammer Drill with chisel bit. You can set the drill to impact rather than drill and use it like a mini kango. it made light work of the brick walls, only took about 5 mins to do the deep channel that I had. One note of caution - cover everything in the room and close the door - the dust will be everywhere. Good luck! :smashin:

10. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice mate :thumbsup:

I now have to work out how i can get her indoors out the house for a week :rolleyes:

:D

11. BabyNSX

BabyNSX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you prepare well - buy all the cables, mount, have all the tools and plaster ready, you can do it in a weekend. i did mine in a weekend including painting the room

12. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, i've bought everything for the room virtually (cables, speakers etc) - got most tools but will need to buy/hire an SDS - once i begin to move in to my new house in a couple of weeks i'll get cracking and try and nail it down quickly (hopefully :D )

the only thing i've never plastered before, so will probably call someone in as its a bare wall (i.e. no wallpaper) so any imperfections will show up quickly :(

13. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Looks reallu good but what happens if you need to replace a cable :eek:

14. BabyNSX

BabyNSX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hopefully covered all bases by wiring up every single input (AV1-8, and RF) so I will never need to. I used good quality cables and I'm happy with the picture. The only way one will need replacing is it becomes faulty but cables never do that.

It means I had to put a lot of cables in the wall which I am not using now (HDMI, DVI, VGA, SCART3, etc) but I know I will use them all one day. I'm building a silent PC for the lounge and will probably get the 1080 Sky service when it comes out.