1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD7200 Audio Problem ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by motorcyclecol, Oct 24, 2005.

1. motorcyclecol

motorcyclecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone give me some advice concerning my new Hitachi PD7200?
    I received it on Friday 21/10/05 and set it up following the run in settings for the plasma screen and I must say the picture quality is excellent, even on the run in settings. However, I am having a problem with the sound output. With the matrix sound feature turned off I am getting sound, only from the left hand speaker but with matrix on I am getting both speakers on but have to adjust the balance to +4 to the right. I have also noticed that if I put the balance adjuster all the way to the right the sound goes off completely but back to the left it returns. I have tried to link the TV's stereo output into my surround sound amplifier but once again I am only getting sound out of one channel.
    I recently returned a Samsung DLP46 TV to Currys for the exact same issue.
    Am I missing something, or is this a fault? Any good advice will be much appreciated. :lease:

2. avguy234

avguy234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am interested in this plasma

Which Set top box are you using? DTT / Sky / Cable etc?

3. motorcyclecol

motorcyclecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi AVGUY

I am using a Thompson set top box direct to the TV and a Grundig set top box via my hard drive recorder.I also have another DVD recorder into the component in, on the TV and a VCR into the S-video input.
    I must say that I am very happy indeed with the picture quality even on the analog channels and there is hardly any noticeable blocking on digital channels.
    I had the new Samsung 46 inch DLP TV for 5 weeks before the Hitachi and I can honestly say that the picture quality on the PD7200 is a country mile ahead of the Samsung.
    I just need to find out if I am missing something with the audio set up or if I have a problem. Either way I will be keeping the PD7200 as it is quite impressive. :thumbsup:

4. avguy234

avguy234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Im sorry i cannot suggest anything to help you with your problem.

However, i am very interested in this television myself.

When I seen the TV in John Lewis It looked very poor - I assume It was displaying the analog channels only.

I wonder what the quality of SKY would be like on this set?

It was rated best plasma on CNET.co.uk

5. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If exactly the same problem arises twice, have you ruled out the possibility that it could be the audio feed thats the problem? How does it sound without anything connected, i.e. by using the inbuilt analogue tuner?

6. motorcyclecol

motorcyclecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wonderloaf. Took your advice and tried it without any other equipment attached, using the inbuilt tuner and the problem is still there (it was worth a try though).
    The Currys mastercare guy is coming out on Friday so I will ask for a new replacement tv. It must just be my bad luck that, two completely different tv's have had the same problem?
    Anyway, I think the PD7200 is a real performer and the connectivity is more than adequate, looks good and the motorised stand is a bit James Bond.
    Thanks. :)

7. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think you've been very unlucky. 2 panels with exactly the same problem - what are the chances of that happening :eek:

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the same doesn't happen to my 7200 :lease:

Anyway, enjoy the panel and sound, think you'll be impressed with the 'built-in Matrix' sound, I don't even bother with my 5.1 surround system sometimes thesedays!

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Have you tried recreating the problem with a pair of headphones plugged in?

I did have something similar with mine when I first had it, turned out to be a SCART had wormed its way loose (I have classic angled SCART plugs which don't sit very well in the 7200 sockets)...although if yours is doing it in the tuner then its unlikely to be that.

9. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I presume that you have checked that the wires are making good contact. I found the spring in the speaker terminal quite strong and it took a bit of effort to make a good connection.

Stu

10. motorcyclecol

motorcyclecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried a pair of headphones with the tv and I am getting good stereo sound through them. I disconnected every piece of equipment from the tv and tried using just the inbuilt analog tuner and the problem is still there. I made sure that the speaker wires were connected securely but it is still not working correctly.
    However, I must say I am still very impressed with the picture quality of the tv even on a analog signal and I think the overall build quality is very good indeed. I expect, that I have just got the 1 in a 1000 that has a fault. Anyway I will be getting the tv replaced with another new one after the currys mastercare guy has had a look at it, as it is only 6 days old.
    Thanks for all your help and advice, I will let you know what the problem is when I find out.
    :confused:

11. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Sounds like one of the speakers is shot to me.