1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD6600

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xx396, Aug 28, 2005.

1. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow this set really puts the cat amongst the pigeons at under £1400 with promotional codes eh! I guess the questions are whether the PV500 is worth £600 more which is debatable.

My burning issue now is whether to still get the PWD8; I was completely happy with this but paying 200 more for a panel which may require me to get more external boards in the future and is only SD compared to a fully HD ready TV is looking far less attractive..! Plenty of UK magazines certainly loved the PD7200 with it receiving a 90% and a few 5/5's, and this model just looks to be missing the picture master processor or something. What d'ya think. Is it worth the plunge or stick with the Panny's?

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I spent a bit of time at Currys the other day, specifically comparing the PV500 with the Hitachi 6600.. purely on picture quality .. and after playing around with the settings on the Hitachi, testing it out with a good quality DVD player, I was in no doubt that Hitachi was not only a bargain - but to me, I quite liked its more vibrant colours and brighter panel than the stable but 'flat' looking pic quality on the Panny... it just didn't seem to have much depth.

I'm sure many will disagree with that, but I guess that was my perception and i'll trust my own eyes to make judgements.. it was good enough for me and i've gone for it.. the Hitachi 6600 if anything will really bring plasma TV prices down .. because when people start realising you get pic quality as good (if not better) with the 6600 than plasmas worth upto £1000 more, which is HD-Ready and mind you, its not a Tevion, a Tiny , a Goodmans or even a modest looking Samsung/LG, but its a reputable and quality brand - Hitachi ..

If there's one thing that I will confess I really liked about the Panny, it was the blacks.. that was the one thing which I found noticeably better than the Hitachi (not that the Hitachi's black level was poor, but no, it wasn't quite at CRT-level like the Panny).. but I guess the Hitachi made up for that through brightness and more vivid colours.. but assuming even if it didn't, is it worth paying £1000 extra just for a better black level? perhaps if you are an AV purist than yes, but if you're just someone who wants a nice telly with a good picture like myself than the Hitachi's more than impressive..

My advice to anyone who's thinking about this Hitachi is to go out and get a demo of it, trust your own eyes.. your perception is what really matters.. if you like it, go for it.. no point in restricting yourself to just a Panny PW7 or this or that, simply because its rated highly by the 'AV purists' or so-called experts..

3. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I felt the same as Majid, I had one delivered this morning although as of yet it hasn't been set up. It will by the end of the day tho. :D

It should give me something to play with this evening when I get back to the house.

4. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes having read enough about the 7200 it is obviously one hell of a budget HD ready performer. I'm not sure how much the lack of Picture Master processing affects it, especially during fast motion but maybe in some aspects its better without, auto contrast anyone :) However its Achilles heel as always does appear to be the blacks and you're never going to get the Curry's showroom into the pitch black darkness required for home theatre, well you could try :) I think the Panasonic really would show its superiority under those conditions, and that is what matters to me. I'm sure in normal viewing during the day it holds its own. So a great set and fantastic price but not for me. Enjoy your new plasma!

5. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Make sure you post some piccys so we can all have a look :thumbsup: I'm not getting mine delivered till next monday, i'm dying to see what its like!

6. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Will do, just got to paint the bloody walls first. It's the price I have to pay :smashin: I'm afraid.

Feel like a wolf hound infront of a dirty great big steak.

I'm sure it's just another reason why women do really rule the planet us men only think we do :D