1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD5200 vs PD3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by mfini, Feb 9, 2004.

1. mfini

mfini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had the rare chance to see a 42PD3000 and a 42PD5200 side by side, connected to the same DVD source via S-video.

I must say that the older model was a lot better in any aspect! The technician tried to fine tune the two, but he eventually had to admit it.

The older one had far more natural colors, while in the 5200 digital artifacts of the 8bit processing (solarization-like) were very evident.

This is a pity, as I did not buy the PD3000 for Christmas as I was waiting for the newer model, that on paper has better performance.

Comments, anyone?

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting!
    Where did you see them side by side?
    Why were they connected by s-video as opposed to scart?

3. mfini

mfini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not in the UK. I travel a lot, and I saw them in France and Italy, but only in the latter coutry I could see them both in the same store.
    There were over 10/12 screens connected through an S-video splitter, not the best I can imagine in terms of quality, but still they should be getting roughly the same input.
    By the way, the 5200 is the one with integrated tuner, but I guess this has little impact on S-video.
    I actually asked to have it connected through the component input, but it was last saturday asfternoon and the store was packed... the chap told me to come back in the middle of the week of course.

By the way, among the differences, I forgot to mention a very visible dithering on the 5200.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I like your post very much, as i have continued with my order for a PD3000 from currys and gave up on the PD5000 from RS...:)

Can you please continue on how much better the 3000 was over the 5000, untill mine gets delivered and then i wont keep thinking (everyday), maybe i should cancel my order and go to RS for the 5000........:laugh: :laugh: :D

5. mfini

mfini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..well, I do not know myself which one to order!
    I wanted some advice, but apparently mot much coming!

6. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    haven't seen the 5000 but have just got the 3000 a week and a bit ago from JL & am very impressed with Sky+ & DVD PQ.

I was very worried about Sky PQ before I got it but must admit the PQ is, in my opinion, just as good as my 32" Sony CRT

7. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Cag
    Had any problems with "Buzzing" fromthe rear of your Plasma, I have had the 42" model now for 6 weeks.

Paul

8. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen the 5000 running alongside a PMA400 in RS at London Bridge. Could not really tell much difference between the 2, if anything 400 was slightly better, but could just be that the 5000 had only been up for a day so probably not bedded in (if that really does make a difference!) Oh, and the 5000 was connected with high quality component cables although not sure what they were using on the 400.

I've actually cancelled my order for the 3000 to go for the 5000 when I get the cash together (no interest free at RS!).

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've had my 42inch Hitachi panel for 4 months now and mine doesn't buzz at all, it's wallmounted so maybe that has a bearing on the buzzing issue. I have to say the PD3000 blows my socks off everytime i switch it on, i've just had sky+ installed and it looks stunning :smashin:

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    My 42PD3000, which I love, didn't buzz when it first got installed but it does now (I've had it around 6 months now) to the point where I can hear it from the seating position during scenes where it's just dialog with no background noise.

I've got an engineer coming tomorrow so I'm hoping he'll agree that it's making too much noise.

John

11. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johndon, any update on this noise issue? Thanks!

12. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi Pezee,

Got in touch with the dealer who arranged for a service agent to come round. They ordered a new transformer from Hitachi and it was fitted on Thursday. So far so good, the screen still buzzes a little but it's a vast improvement on before.

HTH

John

13. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like this new xformer did the trick - thanks for the quick update John!

14. hon750321

hon750321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have bought a pd5200 4 weeks ago was buzzing badly got an exchange and its just as bad. got hitachi involved and they are changing the power supply. I dont think you should hear the buss 8 feet away should you

15. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fuzzybee

I have a 42PD300 which i am very pleased with. However i've noticed a lot of people say how impressed they are with the quality of Sky+, are you saying that the PQ from a Sky+ box is far superior to a normal Sky box?

cheers
    Pacha

16. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just a long belated update. My 42PD3000 is buzzing alot now..especially when colours on screen are light. It's starting to get on my nerves.
    I also get the screen 'flashing' then looking ok again which seems strange.

Do u guys think I should get on to JL about it

Cheers
    Cag :rolleyes:

17. MPBayless

MPBayless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should get onto JL and Hitachi immediately. Too many people are having problems with Hitachi screens buzzing and its about time Hitachi sorted it out once and for all.

I'm nearing small claims court on mine since Hitachi say that the buzzing is within specification, even though they have fitted two new transformers. Latest is that Hitachi have told me after numerous complaining letters that the supplier will contact me to enable a suitable solution to be found ... watch this space

18. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So what is RS?

I wanna get the PD5200 and looking for best price. Intrest free sounds good.

19. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    RS = Richer Sounds

Regards
    Cag :)

20. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 5200 should be coming today :D

I work near RS at London Bridge so went in there first but managed to get a substantial saving they couldn't match at http://www.hiwayhifi.com/

I'll report back how I get on....

any tips any current owners can give me on set up as I am pretty new to Plasmophillia... or would that be a new Plasmaphile?

21. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

I am near the Richer Sounds in Watford, its £2500 for the PD5200, and a further 100 odd for the stand what is included everywere else.

Rip off.

22. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Portstanley
    If I were you I'd try John Lewis as you get 5 year warranty and they will pricematch any offers you can find (as long as they have a shop!!)

I've had a few problems when I got mine & Customer Service was good on the whole.

Cheers
    Cag ;)

23. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Cag, but i just looked £3,000!!!!!

I know the extra 5 years warrenty but still.

You can get this for £2280 on the web, delivery about £45.

I don't know weather to leave it 4 months and see if they come down to £2000.

24. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahhh price match. sorry i shall check them out.

25. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the the 32" 32PD5200 which I found at £1699 inc Vat and £35 delivery which was the best price I found. Service has been good so far, phoned me on despatch and the courier just called to say he is close and will be here soon!

26. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all set up, the missus has had her fit and calmed down now she has some bathroom catalogues... not sure about the stand being seperate as the desktop stand (the swivel one) seems to be included and packaged with the unit.

Courier was excellent, even helped me lug it upstairs. Currently "testing" it when I should be working!

I just have to wait for the wife to spot her new bathroom suite before I break the news that I want to head into town tomorrow and get a new home cinema audio kit for it!

I have to say I am very pleased with the screen even out of the box. The picture through Telewest pace 4001 box is amazing, the dvd also is superb... I know a lot of people report buzzing but it is silent so far (not sure if this surfaces later for people who have had it) I can hear the DVD player over the TV at any rate.

27. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lovely jubbly, where did you get it from?

Tell the misses that now when she watches her god awful soaps it will be like she was actually there!!

Just thought if i get one i will have to get a £200 glass cabinet aswell. :(

But im sure it will be worth it. :clap:

28. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Portstanley I got it from http://www.hiwayhifi.com/

Only problem at the moment is the detachable speakers were not in the box so I am assuming a box got left behind somewhere... customer service are chasing despatch now.

Currently I have a pair of old Sony stereo speakers wired to it which don't do it justice... and so the saga continues!

29. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a call from their CS and they are going to try and drop the speakers in to me this evening before 8:00, failing that they will courier them to me by tuesday.... Not too bad all round as I only ordered the screen about 11:00 yesterday!

All in all I have to say the service and contact from Hi-Way Hi-Fi has been excellent.... now I have to go and pretend interest in the bathroom tiles the missus has picked out if I want the missus to pretend interest in the new tv ;)

30. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ha ha poor sod.

"Hmmm yes love that will look great, ohhh fantastic"

Just look forward to getting home and watching a good movie on a decent screen.

Im tempted to order mine next week.

:thumbsup: