1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PD5200 - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Portstanley, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new TV, i was thinking of the Sony 50" rear projection LCD, but then came across this one in a shop. (Not literally :nono: ).

before i folk out 2500 anyone got one and not happy etc???

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do a search and make up your own opinion. Also, understand the differences between that and the 5300. May also be worth doing a search for Alis as this model uses this type of panel.

-Ian

3. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read many reviews from mags etc and the 5200 has got very good reviews, Whathoemcinema gave it 90%!

But its still always good to here from avg Joe like me who might have one.

I liked it in the shop.

4. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also i see the PD5300 has a crapper resolution than the 5200. Although it has an external box, that does not bother me.

Cheapest online place i can find for the hiatchi PD5200 is £2280

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    be very very careful when comparing resolution, 1024x1024 is Alis and not without its own issues

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What are the differencies between the 2?

They're both ALIS aren't they?

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    For the same size, the 5300 is exactly the same screen as the 5200 so the resolution will be identical. 32" versions are lower resolution than 37" and 42".

As for external media box, what is not obvious is that the external box uses up the DVI input on the panel.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    5200 and 5300 are both 1024x1024 Alis panels i was reffering to the general rule o more is better, and the exception that is Alis.

9. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The site i was looking at earlier had the 5200 at 1024 1024 the 5300 at 856 x 1024.

Perhaps it was wrong.

I will look into Alis, as i have not heard any bad things from my reviews.

10. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't let the alis haters put you off - at the end of the day there are over 1 million pixels (or 3 million sub-pixels) making up the image regardless of the way they are switched on and off - refresh rates and persistence of vison makes sure of that...

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Hitachi's have had the sharpest pics I've seen.

12. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    love mine

at £2500 it is a lot of money but I do not think I have wasted mine

It takes effort and time and patience to get it looking good but when you do its brilliant

13. kami666

kami666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to agree with Duncan, I was very apprehensive about my purchase of the 5200 but must admit that once it was set up, I have no complaints what so ever. Probably the best £2300 i have spent.

14. Lewdannie

Lewdannie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll repeat what I said in another thread....

There have been some very loud (and influential) postings on these forums and after reading them, one would wonder why on earth you would bother with a Hitachi.

I researched for 12 months (both on and off this forum) before buying my 5200 a couple of months ago. Fact is, for the money (and I got a killer price) this set could not be beaten. Most users, like me, need a CRT replacement that is to be used in the lounge room by the whole family. I know there are folk who post to this forum who want the best in home cinema and will do anything to squeeze out that last 2-3%. Perhaps they will not be satisfied with the Hitachi….but jeez….I am!

I think it might be a mistake to think that all of the postings on this forum are a true indication of customer satisfaction. Hitachi sells an awful lot of these sets around the world and most owners would have never heard of this forum. It would be nice to have some “science” regarding ACTUAL return rates as a percentage of total sales and compare that to other “leading brands”. MAW often throws around quite high figures, but as I understand it, he doesn’t sell Hitachi any more (and has never sold the 5000 series).

Finally, I am also concerned that issues reported to be associated with the 3000 series are also now attributed to the 5000 series (I too followed the “plasma gas charging fault” thread with interest…and wasn’t it agreed that this was screen burn?). I don’t recall people lumping the deficiencies identified with the Panny 5 in with the Panny 6.

Just my own humbl;e opinion

cheers

Lewdannie

15. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for the info.

This really should be fun, but its a pain couse i make up my mind and then here loads of resons why not to pick what i have choosen.

16. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spent the weekend setting up my new 5200 (6hrs to get it on the wall -Phew!). Have watched a few movies with mixed results.

Apocalypse Now Redux and Gladiator were were faultless, better than my old CRT. However, a few music videos and Mickey Blue Eyes were quite poor, not sure what the right technical terminolgy is, but there was loads of banding of colours. Leads me to think that there may some sensitivity on this screen to the quality of the recording.

Normal analoge TV is not as good as my old CRT (looks a bit pixelised) but , then I don't watch TV - only bought the screen for films.

So, my viewpoint as a complete AV novice (If that's worth anything) is, it appears that if you want the screen for watching blockbusters then you'll thrilled to bits as I am.

Other advantage is the compatability with PC's I understand the scaling of VGA is handled alot better with the hitachis than most (but I am yet to test this out). So if you are thinking HTPC (as I am in the furture) then bear this in mind.

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Het an XBOX - get it chipped - connect to 5200 via high def kit and also be blown away

Also - had same problem as above but it improves with time

18. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What for watching movies?

19. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    actually not tried that yet - but for games the difference can not be put into words

its like going from 640 res to 1024 on a pC

20. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, am not really a gamer. However, I'm very keen to get the full use of my 1024 res. I am not sure but isn't DVD limited something like 640 anyway?

Run out out money now for a while, so I'll be enjoying thing as they are for a while.

I'm very interested in what you say about the picture getting better for analogue tV over time. What's the reason for that? what would you say the improvement I can expect is (2X? 10X ?) and how many viewing hrs before it settles?

21. Lewdannie

Lewdannie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All will be forgotten once the decision is made and you are lounging infront of your magnificent set