1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Hitachi PD5200 and HDTV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richjthorpe, Oct 28, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !

My head is mashed from reading the topic on the 42PD5200 and DVi !

I'm looking for a Plasma that is 32" because 42" is going to be too big. The only one I can really find are the Hitachis and I thought that they didn't do High Definition TV but from this topic it seems I'm wrong !

Can anyone answer these questions for me.......

1. Will the PD5200 range display HDTV that is set to arrive in the future ? I've read that it does take D-VHS at 1080i and was stated at 1024x1024 native resolution (Home Cinema Choice September). Is this different from TV Broadcast ?

2. Newbie question here, there are 2 sets of HD signals, 720 and 1080 correct ? The DVi port doesn't like 720@50hz (That is if it's going on the 42" technology). Switching to 1080@50hz is fine though. Does this mean I need a DVD player with 1080 signal capabilities or is it just the DVD Disc that are needed ?

My head hurts !

Richie.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Read again. I think analogue is the best route. 1080i on digital overscans by 5.5% all round, meaning you are ditching about 15% or so of the picture. You've got a good idea what happens at 720p/50Hz, not good. Sounds like it's almost as bad as the Panasonic!