1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi pd4200?????? review anyone?????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by LLcoolDave, Nov 2, 2004.

1. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone know where i can find a review please????

dave :confused:

2. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    I had one and sent it back and brought a PW7, which picture quality blows the hitachi away.Reason for sending it back was the buzzing from the transformer.

4. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks people!

cheers :beer:

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: The initial question was about the 852x480 PD4200 folks, NOT the ALiS based 1024x1024 PD5x00 series... :rolleyes:

The PD4200 is a totally different beast, it came out very recently (vs 9 months ago for the PD5200 series), it has a 42" 852x480 LG glass (prolly same as LG's recent PX series) and from what I've (briefly) seen delivers a pretty decent picture - esp. for the price (can be had for about 2500€ here, i.e. ~1650£).

So I'd say ignore previous comments on this post, and go check it in a store, worth at least one visit imho. :)
    <You might in fact want to compare it to its LG "sibling" 42PX11/42PX10, same glass, about the same price, different electronics and badge.>

The Pana's might produce a better picture but you've also got to look into warranty, connectivity, future proofing if important to you, etc...

6. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    cheers peezee!!

a bit of advice, cheers im lookin into it!

dave

7. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're very welcome Dave! :cool: :)

8. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be late but I hope will help anyone searching like I was yesterday...

It's true what they say... they look far bigger at home than in the shop!!! http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1252337#
    ThumbsUp

I unpacked it like a little kid, grins all the way and my girlfriend jumping out of my way while I was hurring around the lounge. The screen is impressive and the price at Richier Sounds for 2000.00 plus £200.00 for the extended warranty is a bargain.. Or I feel so. Please don't let me know otherwise cause I'm rather happy right now.

Now let me state I was going for the Panasonic TH42PWD6 and that's a 853x480 display. I saw the Hitachi PD5000 but the PD4200 was a better bargain. As I feel it's a in between display, has every input you need whereas the Panasonic and the Hitachi PD5000 plasma you have to buy the stand and extra input which makes it more expensive in the long run. I wanted a 720p HD-Display that could also do 1080p better than a 853x480 display and will look at upgrading once that scene settles on and can provide something more definate on HD-Video.

Ok...

Inputs..
    PC-DVI
    PC-VGA
    RGB-Component
    Scart
    S-Video
    Composite

I tried the scart with RGB signal set on my yamada DVD/Divx player. Was alright, not impressive but this was scart and I saw this screen running on RGB component in the store and looked incredible.... so the player is crap! or has limited output should I say.

Played Matrix, looked decent but not impressive.. once again I need a real DVD player to unleash it's DVD playing abilities or just output RGB in component form. Cause there were white speckles in the dark areas.

HI-Definition and PC connectivity...
    I then conencted the PC upto the display.. WOW!!! what a huge monitor!!
    Put the Matrix DVD in and it looked much better, the dark scenes were clean though DVD is starting to show it's age. I unfortunately haven't converted Matrix to Divx yet but have done I, Robot.. It looked just as good as DVD!! Very clear and I though it would make Divx's look crap but if you do a 2 disk encode the quality should look good.

The screen setup through DVi is max 1024x768.. native to the screen, I dono why this is like this but anything else besides 1024x768 and resizing is going to happen anyway. With a standard VGA input you can go upto 1600x ???? so it's there if you really need it..

Now there is a Sony shop in Croydon with a 50" plasma playing a Blu-Ray disc and this is the quality I was aiming for regarding HD video.. Anyone wanting to now what true HD-Video is really about head on down to the Centrale centre and take a look. I can't explain how clear it is.

I loaded up the wmv HD video... it's close.. I sat there like a kid smilling. The picture was really clear and stamps it's hi quality foot on DVD really hard. I plan to buy my first HD-Video when I can get my hands on one.

TV quality..
    TV looked fine though I have a crap source and I felt this looked better than my TV did. But looks very impressive and rather satisfying. Cannot complain about the picture except. The one channel that is clear look really good. Wish I had sky cable TV now!!! :(

The blacks aren't true blacks but can look great with a good source. This being my first display I'm more than happy. It stomps on my TV set. And my 32" TV set is staying at my parents place... I don't want it back.

Games
    I loaded up Need For Speed Underground and once again blown away. I donno why anyone buys playstations or x-box's. The graphics on this display are incredible! My 17" Iyama LCD looks likes mobile phone screen now!! It really is like having a 42" computer monitor when playing games.

Word of advice.. take a film along to RS with people in to get a feel of the colours perhaps a LOTR, cause I hear they good quality. They play CGI flix like Monster Inc. and Finding Nemo cause they all colorful and I believe plasma friendly.

Got speakers, display, stand, ext warranty... all for 2199.98. Bargain and does 720p HD-Video natively. Go for it!

Regards
    happy new plasma user.

P.S. ( never written a review so can't dono if I helped) :thumbsup: