hitachi p50t01.......any thoughts?

12 promises

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i have been running an hitachi 42pd5200 for 3 years now and love it to bits,but now i see they have the above model just recently released and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it.

im looking at this screen too, dixons and currys have them on their website at 1399 not been in to see them yet but i also have the same screen as you and have been more than happy with it at that price it seems like a bargin to me

This looks to be a new model out in the more affordable catagory of 50 inch screens.

I too cant find quality review information on it. Their 42 inch sets seem to have excellent reviews

Does anyone know of any magazines or sites which has a review of this plasma set ?

i saw one tonight in currys in one of the edinburgh stores. only 3 scottish stores have them one display, and do not carry stock........all must bedelivered to a home address.

its a very nice looking set but it was connected to some cheapo dvd player and it was not doing itself justice.

it has all its connections to the rear unlike the 42pd5200 and strangely the power cord is almost centrally located and goes in at an angle face on!

i am going to revisit the set now i have an idea as to how it will fit onto my existing wall mount.
the problem is going to be that power cable............for me anyway.:)

forgot to mention that it has one hdmi on the back and the other is behind a front flap situated centrally between the two speakers.
behind the flap is an svid , a sd card slot ,headphone socket, power button, channel changer,volume control and something else which i cant recall.
strange place for the second hdmi imho.

well,...........just bought one this morning but it wont be delivered until wednesday.
will let the forum know how it performs.

now i just need to flog the 42pd5200 to offset some of the expense!!!:)

If you compare spec between 9700 and T series - the set is lighter but you lose lots of features.
No PC Input(only HDMI), less specified sound system.
Hitachi will be releasing progressive plasma later in the year.

If you compare spec between 9700 and T series - the set is lighter but you lose lots of features.
No PC Input(only HDMI), less specified sound system.
Hitachi will be releasing progressive plasma later in the year.

the spec sheet states that pc input is via hdmi (there are 2) , who still listens to their tv sound ?
the spec sheet also shows that the set supports ALL the p's and the i's so can you explain the releasing progressive comment?

The T series is still using ALiS panels which are interlaced,
regardless of incoming video signal format.
There's little point of firing up a full AV sound system for regular telly though is there?
And will HDMI support all your graphics card resolutions?
I expect its support to be worse than VGA.

Plus a major worry is build quality - especially if its come out of Hitachi's Turkish plant. The 9700 series has quality problems because of this.

There's little point of firing up a full AV sound system for regular telly though is there?

Plus a major worry is build quality - especially if its come out of Hitachi's Turkish plant. The 9700 series has quality problems because of this.

i am interested in where you get all this info regarding the set.

you have assumed it will be made in Turkey and you assume that the pc support will not be of any use.

as for firing up a full av system for tv.............i do it every day.

the 42pd5200 set i have has never had its speakers out of the box never mind connected.

also, where did you get the info regarding hitachi bringing out progressive panels later this year?

The cheap 6600 series was built in Turkey and it really had some quality problems but where it has been said that 9700 series is assembled in Turkey and what quality problems do you mean?

hello all

Are the build quality issues all just hear say? :rolleyes: I too have a 42PD5200 and the build quality and PQ is outstanding, had an issue very early with it but thats now sorted and I can only recommend it, hence the reason I have just ordered this new 50" Hitachi.

This model was brought to my attention through this Forum and HCC, their annonuncement is here and as far as I can see its 1080P 'ready to go'?

Other features of note include 1080p/50/60 playback, two HDMIs, three Scarts, and a motorised swivel stand

Please do correct me if this info is incorrect :smashin:

as for firing up a full av system for tv.............i do it every day.

the 42pd5200 set i have has never had its speakers out of the box never mind connected.

2nd BOTH of the above.......:smashin:
Shane

The cheap 6600 series was built in Turkey and it really had some quality problems but where it has been said that 9700 series is assembled in Turkey and what quality problems do you mean?

Reading through the 9700 thread owners were inferring it was poorly assembled ergo EU assembly plant : Turkey.
Owners are complaining of PSU related noise : whining, buzzing, contrast flickering and poor black levels.

HCC revealed Hitachi's release plans for 2007- and indicated that T series was still ALiS. Autumn releases would include Full HD, progressive plasmas. The p50 is not full HD, full HD is 1920*1080.

Reading through the 9700 thread owners were inferring it was poorly assembled ergo EU assembly plant : Turkey.
Owners are complaining of PSU related noise : whining, buzzing, contrast flickering and poor black levels.

HCC revealed Hitachi's release plans for 2007- and indicated that T series was still ALiS. Autumn releases would include Full HD, progressive plasmas. The p50 is not full HD, full HD is 1920*1080.

have you seen this set yet?
it seems that until someone posts some opinions AFTER firing it up in anger, then we will not know.
at least a few of us here will be able to do so soon and i look forward to swapping experiences.
almost all of what you have said is pre-judgemental and of little value.
the only fact you have got right about this set that is that it is an ALiS panel.

The P50T01 is from Hitachi's new plants in Czech Republic :D The 9700, IMHO, has no worrying problems as the 6600 and build quality is identical to 5000 and 7000 series :thumbsup: No major flaws with the 8000-series too as I can see from my experience with repairs ;) The 6600 was a mojor problem. Another worrying problem was (and is also now) the PSU of the 7200, which are mostly easily repairable since a 5ohm10watt resistor goes bust at the primary of the power supply :eek: The bad news here is that most service centres charge you stg500 for an stg50 job and replace the whole PSU!!! :mad:

As regards the ALiS talk I don't want to resuscitate an old debate here, but it can still accept progressive signal and the difference is noticeable on ALiS screen as with others when swicthing from interlaced to progressive signal :smashin:

The only non-Alis screen that Hitachi will be producing is the 60-inch PDP due later this later :rotfl:

Cheers:hiya:

The P50T01 is from Hitachi's new plants in Czech Republic :D The 9700, IMHO, has no worrying problems as the 6600 and build quality is identical to 5000 and 7000 series :thumbsup: No major flaws with the 8000-series too as I can see from my experience with repairs ;) The 6600 was a mojor problem. Another worrying problem was (and is also now) the PSU of the 7200, which are mostly easily repairable since a 5ohm10watt resistor goes bust at the primary of the power supply :eek: The bad news here is that most service centres charge you stg500 for an stg50 job and replace the whole PSU!!! :mad:

As regards the ALiS talk I don't want to resuscitate an old debate here, but it can still accept progressive signal and the difference is noticeable on ALiS screen as with others when swicthing from interlaced to progressive signal :smashin:

The only non-Alis screen that Hitachi will be producing is the 60-inch PDP due later this later :rotfl:

Cheers:hiya:

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but my 7200 has just died on me, and sounds like the issue camorra has decsribed. Camorra i have a few question for you. Please can you tell me where you get your info from, how common is this isssue?

I have sent my set away to the approved repair for Hitachi in my area, and don't wont to get stung on a repair, i dont know how well regulated these company's are?. My set is just under 2 yrs old, and i'm ****** off that some i paid £2000 from new has broken so quickly. I plan to speak to hitachi depending on the quote i get back, but any additional info on this problem that might help me represent a case to Hitachi would certianly be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm a repaire, that's all!!

Though you haven't gone thorugh this forum well :cool:

There is a nice long thread re: 7200 PSU problems :rolleyes:

If you still have a problem and have to repair it from you own pocket,
I can try to help you given that you have a least a small background
of electronics and some basic electronic's tools ;)

Cheers :hiya:

new set arrived and its broken!!:thumbsdow

as you can see the screen is cracked and the inside poly is broken so it must have ben dropped at some point .

inspection engineer to call tomorrow 19/04/2007 and "inspect the damage" before currys will authorise uplift and replacement set.

have been told 3 days minimum but since its wednesday and the guy wont be here until 2moro the likelyhood is it will be next week:mad:

sorry the pics will have to wait...........not letting me attach for some reason.

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 462

as you can see the screen is cracked and the inside poly is broken so it must have ben dropped at some point .

inspection engineer to call tomorrow 19/04/2007 and "inspect the damage" before currys will authorise uplift and replacement set.

have been told 3 days minimum but since its wednesday and the guy wont be here until 2moro the likelyhood is it will be next week:mad:

sorry the pics will have to wait...........not letting me attach for some reason.

Hi 12 promises,

Sorry to hear about the screen being broken, would love to hear some feedback on this set.
Could you please confirm a few things about the p50t01?

Is one of the 2 hdmi connections on the front of the screen? if so where is it?
do you know if the remote if the same as the pd9700?
does this set have an SD card and usb module?
does this tv have analogue and digital tunners?
does is have a pc input?
does it have a motorized stand?

I have contradicting info on all these points.

Thanks a lot

Renton

Hi 12 promises,

Sorry to hear about the screen being broken, would love to hear some feedback on this set.
Could you please confirm a few things about the p50t01?

Is one of the 2 hdmi connections on the front of the screen? if so where is it?
do you know if the remote if the same as the pd9700?
does this set have an SD card and usb module?
does this tv have analogue and digital tunners?
does is have a pc input?
does it have a motorized stand?

I have contradicting info on all these points.

Thanks a lot

Renton

hdmi 1 is behind a flap right below the hitachi badge along with a usb and a sd card /mmc slot.
hdmi 2 is round the back. a c/i slot is also round the back.
the remote is cle 984 i dont know if this is the same as the 9700.
yes it has the 2 tuners.
pc input is via the hdmi from a pc dvi output.
yes the stand is motorised.

anything else..................just ask.:)

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 264

you must be well :censored: off, sorry to hear about the damage.....I logged on expecting to see your screen in all its glory :oops: ....keep us info'd as to replacement, mine is expected end of next week, hopefully in better condition. Will be very interested to hear about the attitude of currys once they have seen the damage :eek:

Shane

Ditto with everyone else regarding your broken set.

On a general point......why are manufacturers putting extra HDMI sockets in stupid places?

Why would I want to plug a PS3 or DVD player into a socket at the front of the TV? :confused: :eek:

thanks for the sympathy guys,....just waiting for the inspector to arrive.
he phoned at 0900hrs this morning to say he would be here sometime after 1230pm!!
regarding the hdmi 1 slot at the front, i said the same in my op.
i can only think that hitachi thought it was more convenient for plugging in a pc.
round the back where hdmi 2 sits there is a stencil outline for another hdmi slot so perhaps later models will have 3 hdmi inputs.:)

that front hdmi is the only bad point i can find, and its quite annoying,
What if you have a HD cable box and a HD dvd player, u have to have a messy cable round the front,

Makes me think more about getting the panasonic th 50px70

yes i hear and agree with what you say.
it does not affect me because i can route two hdmi units via my amp and upconvert any signal input to hdmi out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom