Hitachi P42T01E image/audio settings?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dgs3333, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dgs3333

dgs3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Before anything else, as this is my first post, I'd like to present myself and congratulate everyone who helps make this forum as big as it is. :smashin:
    That said, her is my problem. I bought a Hitachi P42T01E plasma screen last week, but I'm having some trouble finding the best image/audio settings. Perhaps someone arround here who has the same model could pass me there settings or help me in some way.
    Thank you.

2. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will send you my settings this evening (I am at work now).
    What I can say is, that I spent a few hours to set my TV to be acceptable.
    Most important is to switch off ECO Mode ! (with switched on (does not matter value 1 or 2) you will have colour banding in dark scenes)

3. dgs3333

dgs3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excelent!! Thank you very much. I´ll be looking forward to receiving them. :)
    Hmmm, I hadn't realised the colour banding. I haven't played arround much with the ECO Mode setting, but from what I've seen it seems not worth using anyway, the decrease in brightness is so great (in either value) it makes the image too dark for my liking.

4. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    here is my settings:

picture mode:normal
    contrast:74
    brightness:50
    colour:50
    hue:50
    sharpness:50
    colour temperature:normal
    contrast mode:normal
    YNR:eek:ff
    CNR:eek:ff
    film mode:eek:n
    3D comb filter:high
    LTI:eek:ff
    CTI:eek:ff
    black enhancement:high
    MPEG NR:low
    colour mgmt:eek:ff
    colour temperature adjust:eek:ff

I would like to tell you, that I am waiting for DVE disk for initial calibration, so my settings probably will be changed.
    as for sound I think, that you have to find the best settings by yourself (it is hard to know what sort of sound you prefer).
    If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me again

5. dgs3333

dgs3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again bankroot,

I tried your image settings but to be honest with you I like them even less than the ones I had. I think the best thing to do will be to follow your example and buy a calibration disk. As for the sound I've achieved good enough results playing arround just a little bit (allthough the sound in this set doesn't seem anything special). I'll post my settings once I get it properly set up.
    Thank you very much for your help, I sincerely apreciate it. :smashin:

6. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was sure, that my settings wouldn't be the cure for your problem.
    Everyone has different prefferences of image view (I can feel it, when I am watching TV with my wife :D), very much depends on source signal, light environment, etc. This is why I am dissapointed of lack more personal settings in Hitachi (we have only 3).
    Different settings may be needed for DVD, for console games, for SD source, for HD source.
    Lookin' for your settings

regards

7. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your set has picturemaster fhd. this hitachi site explains the picture processing it can do.
    http://av.hitachi.com/tv/features/picturemaster.html
    you will see now why colour management, and other settings might better left on..

i've read that the contrast level should be 50% or less, for at least two months..

i don't have a hitachi plasma but i have been reading a lot of information on this particular model, and i was tempted to buy it. you're right to experiment with settings, but take your time and make small incremental changes so you can take in the change. i would use one of the lucasfilms dvds like star wars, as they will help you to set up your picture and sound. contrast settings controls white levels. brightness controls black levels. my opinion is that white levels should not be piercing, and bright levels should should be low just enough to see detail in darker areas of the picture. colour is a matter of taste. i set my colour settings by the colour red. if it bleeds then there is too much. when adjusting your sharpness settings look for edges that look blurred. aim for the sharpest edge. too much sharpness gives a white edge and too little gives a black edge. with the right sharpness level you should see a clear image. good luck with your purchase.

cnet written a review on this set and also produced a video review..
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030220,49291375-1,00.htm

8. dgs3333

dgs3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree with you bankroot, personal prefference is very important in finding the best set up. And of course source signal and light enviroment are equally determining.
    I'm convinced using a calibration disk is the best option to point you in the right way of fine tuning the settings for your personal liking. The only bad thing about it, is it will help you set up your dvd imput, but you'll have to find your own way with the rest of them and, depending on the source, I'm sure they can vary significantly.

Hi thm,

Thanks for the pointers, it's allways good to have more than one opinion. :smashin:
    Actually, the cnet review is one of the things that made me decide on buying this particular model.

Best regards.

9. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

you're welcome..
    if you want to check how good your freeview is, catch the new series of the antiques road show. it has been recorded on high definition for the first time. although freeview isn't available in high definition, the purity of the digital signal means the images are razor sharp....

10. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if I set contrast level below 50 the white is not white as it should be.
    I know, that it very ipmportant for "future device condition", but PQ is more important for me (unless I will switch on my TV with lower contrast and go for two months vacation :D).

@thms: why haven't you bought Hitachi definitely ?

11. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the manual has a lot of don'ts... so be careful ;)

i have not seen it properly set up, and i have not seen many reviews.
    i saw the P50T01 in two different comet stores. it's a great looking tv.
    their set-up was awful. if i had the time i would have fixed it for them.. :D
    i really don't think the staff had a clue about the hitachi.

i would like to see their new P50XR01...
    http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/brochures/en_GB/p50xr01_datasheet.pdf

12. bankroot

bankroot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    great TV set !
    I was going to wait for this model, but finally decided to have T01.
    SD will be looked worse on XR than T01 I suppouse, so untill HD TV in Poland will be more popular (more than few channels) I won't buy full HD TV.

13. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a glut of new sets and i fear the XR specifications might already be

obsolete by the time it's released in september/october.

specifications for hd tv just get better with each week that passes..

i've noticed prices for 42 inch plasma televisions are plummeting and can

start as low as £600..