1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi next?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    With the Plus now in pj heaven, its time to look for a possible replacement. The only projector that comes anywhere close to what I am looking for is the Hitachi sx5500 lcos projector. I'm a bit rainbow prone so I'm not sure if I want another DLP. I'm also looking for high res and DVI connected so that I can go fully digital. It should also work very well with my ISCO II anamorphic lens. Has anyone seen the Hitachi yet?

Jeff

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    totally agree with your observations Jeff.
    I have been waiting for a few weeks now for a phone call to demo the hitachi so I'll chase it up next week.

This unit has so much going for it (features list is great) but I have heard the blacks ain't as black as you'd expect from an LCOS and the contrast range is not too great: ( whether this means its incapable of resolving an 8 bit video intensity scale or whether a few people have looked at how black black is relative to how white white is and pronounced it contrast range is debatable)

but think: good res , no screendoor , lower blacks than lcd( theoretically) no rainbow (slight panel convergence issues which shouldn't be a major issue ) directly addressable panels

Everyone who has plumped for one of these has commented to the effect that its great ( although there is the unsrutinable buying decision factor) although there were some quality issues with the early models. And we appear to have some not bad pricing for a change relative to our US cousins. Ivojo sell em.

If anyone has got one in london I'll bring a 12pack and some crisps!

If this one lights me boat then I'll get it... or will I just get an ae-100 and live with it for a year or two until the super duper cheaper units materialise..... whisky should help glug glug glug...

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    There's been quite a few positive threads on AVS over the last couple of days. Since no one else is coming forward I guess that I'll have to be the guinea pig. I just want to make sure that I get a new model since it would appear that Hitachi have corrected a couple of issues since production first started. I might give Ivojo a call and see what they have to say.

Jeff

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if there will be anybody demoing the Hitachi at the Bristol show? Jeff perhaps you could convince Ivojo to take a last minute stand at the show that would drag most of the forum members along to have a look I would think.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am still waiting for Hitachi to get back to me as well, for me it seems to have an excellent balance of specs, now all I need to do is look at the quality. DVI as well:D

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I found a site that sells this projector for £1430 +Vat, unfortunately they spotted the mistake and didn't let me buy it for that price. Well it was worth a go. :)

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Plus totally gone, is it not repairable under warranty?

I suppose this is a problem with new technology, new units can be tested in the lab, but real world stress and strain can take it's toll. Do you think your Plus was just a dud or could there be reliablity issues?

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    These things happen, I use the projector a lot (600 hours since October). I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with these projectors, they are designed to be knock about and missused a little. The Plus is going in for repair tomorrow, all being well I should get it back for Friday. I'll see how it goes, I may buy the Hitachi regardless. By todays projector standards its the bargain of the century and for once its actually cheaper here than in the US.

Jeff

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jeff, next time can you tell us first and then try to buy one please:D

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    PJ on order.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    cool give us the nitty gritty when it arrives Jeff.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Its going to take about a week, but that's a good sign that I'll be getting a fresh one rather than one of the early ones that's been sitting in a shelf for quite a while. I'm a bit peeved that I sent an email to Hitachi and 2 to Ivojo and didn't get a single reply. Needless to say Ivojo didn't get my business and I just got the projector supplier that I use at work to beat Ivojos price. They are much more likely to want to help me out if something goes wrong. One thing, I did a ft lambert calculation and its coming in at over 70, so I should be able to get a nice tan while I watch the films. :D

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I asume thats 70ftL incidence rather than reflective!

14. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They just gave the Hitachi 3.5 out of 5 in their review!

I'm really beginning to distrust the mags (well the UK ones) as they don't seem to spend time calibrating these PJ's properly? I'm not saying that HCC don't know what they are talking about, just that we all know that an "out of the box" picture, with just a little tweaking doesn't ever result in the best a PJ has to offer!

Kane.

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    From what I know about the projector 3.5 out of 5 sounds just about right. You're not going to get the best out if it by simply pluging in a DVD player. In fact non of the DILA/LCOS projectors look good unless they are in the right hands. Not one for the average What TV & Video reader.

Jeff

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Have you bought a DVI cable yet? I waiting keenly in the background to see how you get on.;)

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I bought the DVI cable even before the projector, 5M dual link DVI cable for just £50, bargain. Just need to wait for the projector now. :(

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It arrived this morning, had about 30mins to play with it. First impressions, power cord at the front is a pain, might get in the way of my Isco lens. A bit noisy, but much better when switched to whisper mode. With stock settings and via a VGA cable, the picture looks shockingly bad, blacks non-existent, colours are vibrant but unnatural looking. Clear evidence of posterisation in blacks. Compared to my Plus, the picture looks soft and out of focus. Went home at lunch time and had another 30 minute play, this time using DVI, the picture is different but not necessarily better, judder on pans is way worse. Only positive so far is no dead pixels that I can see. :(

19. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Jeff.
    Your views seem to echo the review in this months "What TV/Video".:(

I only hope that after some tweaking, most can be improved etc.

Can you send it back if not?

Let us know how you get on...:rolleyes:

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I think that I know what the problem is, or at least part of it. Basically the panels are badly aligned. A single black dot appears on the screen as;

GB
    R

The alignment is so far out that if you display a black character on the screen, no portion of the character is actually black if you look close up.

Judder is also a problem, none of the input look smooth, even compared to my cheapo Plus.