Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hitachi monster

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Blondie, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a demo yesterday of the 55" Hitachi linked up to a Bose surround system. All i can say is amazing!! Does anyone own this TV. I currntly own a DLP TV but i'am upgrading in the summer, was going for a 55" Loewver DLP, however after witnessing this monster i may change my mind :thumbsup:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I should try it with a proper sound system if I were you.

3. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by proper sound system you mean spending what, £5000 grand on amp £5000 on dvd player, £20,000 on speakers, there is an unlimted budget you know!!! like yours no doubt!! I actually think the bose system is more then adequte for my ears :rotfl:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, you have totally misread me, I mean any system with a proper frequency response, and where the R&D budget is spent on R&D, not on adverts in the daily mail.
    My own system here cost about £2.5k, speakers, sub, amp, and DVD.

5. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    adverts in the daily mail, you have lost me!! do you like the TV though, that is what i was asking

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Bose, should modify their strapline from 'better sound through research' to better sales through advertising to the great unwashed who are exceedingly gullible'. The plasma is not bad at all, and a unique size point. Pnasonic's 50 and 65 have better contrast, but of course both cost more, so it can't be bad. The one I have seen running was sorely in need of a video scaler, but that goes for all large plasmas, the bigger they are, the harder it is to get a really clean picture.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you must have seen the bose adverts everywhere, trying to create an aura of exclusivity by not quoting prices

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your Yamaha/canton setup will sound way better than a Bose setup at 3 times the price, and scientifically measurable to be better too, a moderately flat frequency response across all audible frequencies is what is needed. That gives you what the director puts on the soundtrack. Or as near as possible.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    really?.....good!...I think they sound great together

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    For the money, you'd find it hard to beat. 2nd hand speakers you might have got better, but you have to be lucky with the timing, obviously. Bose are engineered to sound 'bright', bose's research having discovered that this is what sells speakers in the shop to Joe Public. They do not run dedicated audition rooms, nor sell through outfits that sell hi fi. A back to back comparison soon sorts it out. The best known Bose demo technique is to hide the little speakers inside some giant wood cabinets. Then at the end of the audition, to reveal what you have been listening to. This of course affects the end result significantly, you don't install them in giant wood cabinets at home. Try taking your own DVD to a bose demo, that will scare them usually. You need something like 'Captain Corelli' and a James bond' or possibly 'bourne identity'. Corelli has little in the way of surround effects, bucket loads of difficult to reproduce music for a surround system. Bond or Bourne gives the sound steering a workout. All are fine for a video demo too, bourne is notably difficult to get right, loads of dark-ish scenes.

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toatylly agree ..i got my Bosy wose AM15s for 50 quid a couple years back..its not proper hi-fi is it!