1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi - Is it HD DVD ready?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lordbilly, Sep 23, 2005.

1. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi All,

I've got a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma screen (lovely machine although some might disagree) unforntunately i bought it before Sky HiDef specs were finalised so I know its not HD Ready(I know I couldn't wait)
    My question is although its not HD ready will it be HD DVD/Blueray compatible and be able to screen hidef material from these formats in 720p/1080i?
    If not my wife will kill me for having to purchase another TV(i'm on my 4th in 5 years).

Cheers, any feedback would be helpful.

Lordbilly

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    There is a thread talking about this very thing.
    Yesterday or the day before, I believe.
    Have a look.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  4. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for that badger, although it doesn't altogether answer my question. I know both the formats i've mentioned wont be out till next year and details are sketchy but i'm worried my plasma will not output a high enough resolution to take advantage of these systems.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I believe your telly does 720p at 60, but not 50, I guess that could be a problem.
    But I'm sure you can get 1080i at 50/60, so I would think you'll be ok.
    I'm probably telling you what you already know.
    I've not seen any definitive specs for HD-DVD or Blu-ray yet, but would guess that they will want to exclude as few people as possible.
    I'm guessing you'll be ok, but will leave it to people more in the know to answer.
    Not very helpful, I know :(

6. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm in the same boat, just bought a Hitachi 32PD5200, was told in the shop it would be fine with Sky HD should I ever go down that route, but subsequently I've discovered it's not as easy as fitting an adaptor to the HDMI cable!

Anyway, the shop has contacted Hitachi for a definitive answer on this subject so I should hear by Monday and I'll post it here. Fortunately they will take it back if it doesn't do what they said it should! (any suggestions for an alternative would be useful just in case)

It then occured to me that PS3 might be looking for a 720p/50Hz display aswell, but... many current games often come with a 60Hz option, if your tv supports it - my previous JVC CRT tv did, so i always used the option - my point being that I think it very likely that all games on next gen will support a variety of display formats.

Does anyone know what Xbox360 outputs, I would have thought that whatever that supported the PS3 would do to.

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/bdj_gem_application_definition_050307-12959.pdf

Specs, from the horses mouth :smashin:

Page 18.
    Basically, 720p at 50/60
    and 1080i at 50/60.
    Also, 480 at 60i and 576 at 50i
    Looks like everyone's fine :clap:

HTH

8. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for that badger i have been looking for specs on both machines but with players only been available in Japan specs are thin on the ground. But looking at your link the future is looking better for my enjoyment of HiDef material.
    Thanks Lordbilly

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Those specs are subject to change.
    But I guess that's what they'll go with :smashin:

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the thing is some blu rays may be 720p/50. those specs dont mean you can watch any disc in any of them, it means the discs could be in anyone of them. i would guess the players will have a switch for 720 or 1080 output for all discs though (as is with NTSC/PAL now) and maybe even a FRC built in?

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I agree.
    They won't want to exclude people, as I said.
    More interesting to me is the fight between Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
    Blu-ray looks fave from what I've read.

12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    it does look interesting, especially as i wont be getting one any time soon (student!). more interesting to me is the new 24mbps DTS 8 channel sound :eek:

13. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    OTT, IMO.
    5.1 for me, is plenty.
    And even then it's hard enough to hit the "sweet spot".
    It's fine in a pupose-built place, but not in the average home.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yet more doubt and uncertainty, Blu ray has mentioned 1080P. Now nobody at all can display that, well hardly anyone! Least of all any Sony displays. The HD-DVD versus Blu ray is certainly interesting. Blu ray being technically superior does not guarantee success, with the mighty Microsoft lined up in the HD corner. My money is on Mr Gates.

15. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    My understanding is that Bill will go with whichever format wins.
    Big argument though, basically, IMO, is, manufacturers or Studios.
    Even they seem split :confused:
    One format can be made instantly, the other involves new manufacturing plant,but gives more disk capacity.
    People will want more capacity and low price.
    I don't see either coming soon and guess we're still 2 years away from a decision, by which time we'll be talking about something else.

How things have changed.
    My first proper computer had a 850Mb hard drive.
    That was 11 years ago.
    Now, I have 250 Gb, so no need to worry,I just plod on with video etc, no problem, it'll last me ages. :smashin:
    Until 1080.
    Now we're talking about 1080 giving 3 hours on a 20Gb(?) disc.
    So now we're talking 40 hours video to fill my previously monster hard drive.
    Where will it all end??
    Makes for good discussion though :smashin:
    Sorry, I'm rambling, but the technology jumps astound me

16. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    500mb for me :D

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bill has set out his X-Box 360 stall, and in the HD-DVD camp.

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    That's why I said proper.
    When I first booted it up, it played an introductory video.
    I was amazed. :smashin:
    Mind you, it was £1700, a lot of dough then.
    I remember when computers never had hard drives, but I know what you mean :smashin:

19. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It would appear so, I agree :smashin:
    But from what I read, on some yankee sites, he swings both ways, his choice is not final. :smashin:
    A lot of big players involved and fortunately, IMO anyway, he can't make all the choices

20. KrisWK

KrisWK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the Hitachi 5200 compatible with the Sky HD box? What are the difficulties with using a DVI to HDMI converter lead?

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Too much information!
    Kris, this subject has been very recently done to death, the answer is no, no how, no way, without a video scaler for £700 or so.

22. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    no the hitachi 42pd5200 is not hd ready AFAIK, although the H variant might be but people on this forum have there doubts, as do I. Not really bothered about Sky HD more the the next generation DVD players (HD DVD/Bluray) and if my plasma will display them at the higher resolutions(720/1080).I've downloaded HiDef clips from the internet and they look amazing through the DVI port. Cant wait for next year so many technological gadgets and not enough money!!!!

23. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The 32" PD5200 is not HD Ready as it does not support 720p at 50Hz (only 60Hz).

However...

I've just had a call from the shop I bought my set from, who I raised this very issue with. They have spoken to a tech bod at Hitachi who said...

Sky still haven't set their HD standards in concrete and there is a good possibility that, to accomodate as many potential users as possible, will allow the user to set the HD box to either 720p 50 or 60Hz OR to 1080i 50 or 60Hz in which case the PD5200 can use the service.

If not, and 720p 50Hz is their only method of connection, Hitachi are looking at a circuit board upgrade that would allow the DVI connection to display this format. There is likely to be a charge though - no idea what it is.

But, don't go running to Hitachi yet, they are waiting to see what Sky do and there is still a long way to go before the Sky HD service is fixed, let alone available.

But it's good news for anyone with a 32PD5200.

As for next gen consoles, you can already play 60Hz games on a PS2 if your tv supports it, so I'm not worried about plugging in a PS3 and playing HD games or BD movies, I'm sure the consoles will have a variety of set up options.

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is all like deja vu, and is still utter tosh from Hitachi. Everyone else in the known world knows that sky will not be giving you the electronics necessary to output different formats, what comes out will be as broadcast, the boxes are designed and some are even built. Games likewise, US games will be 60Hz, EU at 50 Hz

25. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, thanks for that, but I'll go with what I've been told today.

I can play 60Hz games on a CRT tv NOW, you don't really think that next games or consoles won't all have a variety of options available for display do you - given that many people will use them on CRT, some on flat panels, some on HD ready and some not... Come on mate, be serious! :)

Sky are the only group to have given any special preference to 720p/50hz and given how long it is till the service goes live, I very much doubt there are consumer ready boxes in production, which means the specs are still up in the air. Sky have already said some boxes will support component connections when previously they said only an HDMI would be available. They are not about to slice off a portion of their prospective HD audience are they?

26. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I have to say ,I agree with that.
    I'm guessing we'll all be fine :rolleyes:

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your privilege guys. We will most certainly not ALL be fine, Sky have drawn a line in the sand. They have conceded the HDCP part, TEMPORARILY! But 720/50 they are set on. Consoles, the current state of play with X-box is 72050 and 60. Sony are talking about 1080P with the PS3 which sinks just about everybody. Almost no CRT will be able to display SkyHD, they believe anyone who wants the service will buy a suitable flat panel. I think they are sufficiently uncommunicative as an organisation that they have overlooked the fact that the plasma they themselves sold until very recently will not display HD content from themselves. I don't suppose Hitachi warned them about it before they committed to sell them, who can blame Hitachi? All the manufacturers except Pioneer were caught with their pants down on this, and all have brought out revised specs, even Hitachi. Why would they bother if they were actually convinced sky really would do this? They are deadly serious, the box is designed, it was done months ago, 1st ones to market in December they say. Not good for anyone I know, but no sense in burying heads in the sand. Get used to the idea before you have to.

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    MAW is right, Sky are going to start demoing their HD service next month, the boxes will be 50Hz and you will not be able to use them on your screen.
    Region 2 HD discs will also be 50Hz because they want backwards compatability. Even if you could get the box or player to frame rate convert that is the last thing you want, it looks terrible, like a flicker book!
    The only thing you may be able to use is the next gen consoles, they offer the 60Hz option only because when running at 50Hz the game runs with borders and 17.5% slower, so it is easer to offer a 60Hz switch than try and get the developers to optimise it for the Pal territories.

If you have the chance to take it back, bitee their hand off, there are hundreds of people who would live to be in your shoes but they are stuck with the screen.

29. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    MAW, PS3 outputs 720p as well as 1080, and has a standard PlayStation output connection as well as two HDMI sockets. So they've given the user a number of ways to connect, no doubt the standard PlayStation socket will support RGB and Component, as it does on PS2. As far as I'm aware the current Xbox can transfer NTSC games into PAL, i.e. 50Hz to 60Hz using built in routines, and I would expect the next gen consoles to offer a wide variety of settings for the user to customise.

As for my Hitachi and Sky HD, well time will tell, but I prefer to believe my supplier than you, sorry! That said I don't have Sky and may never do, so it's not the biggest loss should it turn out that way.

The whole "HD Ready" nonesense applies to Sky, no one else, and I fully expect new consoles to support pretty much everything that can show a picture!

30. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607

Sorry mate you are talking out of your arse. ;)

A games console is different to video, a game is usually written at 60fps, and when you switch the machine to 50Hz it slows the thing down 17.5%, where as if video is shot at 50fps you need to repeat a frame every third frame or so to get it up to 60fps, this will cause judder and look awful.

HD-READY is part of a european standard that covers all the HD formats and types of media that it is delivered on, it is not just a Sky thing.

When it comes to product, take a car for example I always tend to trust what the dealer say too rather than people who are really into it with a passion, because I know my dealer will not have a hidden agenda.

Ask your dealer to put it in writing what he has promised you! :)

As long a you are happy with just consoles that is fine, but please don't go spouting a load of nonsense on here that everyone else accepted was not the case 12 months ago as soem people may read it in think you are correct.