Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

hitachi hca-7500 preamp and luxman c5000 preamp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jute_whatever, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jute_whatever

jute_whatever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! Is anyone familiar with these two models: hitachi hca-7500 preamp and luxman c5000 preamp? Pls. help. I need to know the quality, sound, features, basically a comprehensive user's review of one of these two. If you can give reviews of the two, so much the better. Thanx!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    From what I can find,the C5000 was a 1979 vintage preamp.....the Luxman preamps and tuners of that vintage were beautifully made,as were many of their valved amps.

The few of their items that I'd heard from then I remember as being very nice,and smooth,but really it's a lonnnng time back!

You may find the following link of some interest,although the C5000 isnt directly mentioned there.

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman.htm

There's also a link to the Luxman Yahoo group there,which may be of more help too.

As to sound quality compared to the Hitachi you mentioned.....if it's of similar age,I would say it won't be in the same league at all.

3. jute_whatever

jute_whatever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx alexs2. i appreciate it. :clap:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hope it helps....it's not easy often with vintage gear to find the right places to look,and even then the info can be patchy.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Dug out something on the 7500's replacement the 8500. This was a comment on the HCA8500/HMA8500. "As a straight Power amplifier it performed in much the same manner as it predecessor, just about average, with a slightly thick and grainy treble. It was considered to be competant as a package, but uninspiring. The weak disc input on the pre-amp and load intolerance of the power, meant care should be taken when choosing speakers and source"

This bears out what I got from the Hitachi integrateds I've heard. OK with line sources, but not up to better amps in the fields standards in terms of bass reponse and detail. Like Alex I thought the old Luxmans were "nice", in that they had a smooth, easy on the ear sound.

Sorry I can't be more help.

6. v-ms

v-ms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dr feelgood/dual cs741q (original pick-up) and some big Polk Audio speakers...Can't really compare it to anything else but it's been serving nice for more than twenty years and I have never been disappointed with it. I would by another power amplifier anytime if I could find one (it can be bridged) just for fun.

I remember having service manuals for the set, I ordered them years ago just for fun as well.