1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi, Fujitsu, Pani or Pio - confused, oh yes!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matthew J Taylo, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have up to 3500 to spend, maybe a bit more but in that ball park & have narrowed my selection down to the above manuf's.

I have a Pio 757Ai (plan to upgrade to NTSC Prog Scan when avaialble?) as my DVD & a Telewest Digital cable box (getting better but still crap) as my main source, I would also like to occationaly hook up the old Ps2 for some realy dodgy grand turismo.

What I suppose I'm looking for is the best allrounder:
    TV PQ
    DVD PQ - Prog scan (NTSC & PAL)
    Noise
    Connectivity - tuner options

One area I'm a little confused on is the need for a dedicated tuner box as my mate has his Pani via Sky+ & a converter & this looks ok?

I've also seen the Zinwell ProV+ & this looks loike it could be great if it works well - check it out at:

http://www.av-sales.com/html/prov_plus.html

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Matt
    :eek:

2. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can bog yourself down in the stats for as long as you like - the bottom line is that you should get down to a showroom and demo each screen. A good dealer will be able to show you DVD and TV running.

This is what convinced me to get the Pioneer MXE, but it might be different for you, so check them out yourself.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matthew,

The good thing is you have a decent budget, hence you do have a lot of choice, which in turn makes your decision harder !!! :eek:

As previosuly stated, Viewing is a must.

But as youre viewing will not be in ideal circumstances - ie not your home!, you can only use showroom views as a guide; good / bad depending on dealer.

Different displays will vary in config/set up drastically from dealer to dealer. I also beleive, that dealers inevitably favour a range :- varying profit margin from one product range to the next, depending on dealer, virtually insures this.

Consequntly, I think you do need to understand what you are buying into in terms of technicalities to a degree, just to make an informed purchase. From criteria you have outlined there are some certainties.

Firstly, if you want a true PS image, you will not want an ALIS panel - which are interlaced displays. Hence the Hitachi's and Fujitsu's will not fit (mostly).

Secondly, regading PQ, is if you want to view all of a sources (DVD or TV) intended picture for both PAL & NTSC you will need a plasma with a resolution that fits, ie >576 vertical resolution (no. of horizontal lines - vertically counted).

Finally, although not mentioned by you, if you want to allow for the future, you need a display that is modularly upgradable in terms of input boards (look for DVI-HDCP or HDMI).

Theres been some well constructed/informative and very useful threads recently on the whole which is best ( - also some not so !! :eek: :thumbsdow). The outcome of these has been that its down to the individual - YOU, what you consider important from a display should be the deciding factor.

My advice is narrow the choice down, by product investigation/technicalities in relation to your budget and then make informed viewing to finalise decision.

On the other question, tuner boxes are basically to allow the Plasma to be more user freindly, makes it more like a conventioanl TV, and allows easier connectivity. For me not important - in some ways limiting.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Tony

Finally with your budget, do not forget to factor in Video Boards / Stands / Cabels & Coverters, when required - these also make a difference when tallying up.