1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Fan Noise (again!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BigCol, Sep 12, 2003.

1. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a definite answer regarding modifying/disconnecting/quietening the fan(s) on a 42PMA400E?

In the past various people seemed to be making significant progress to a solution but there hasn't been any news or fresh discussion of late.

Specifically:

Darren Blake - was getting very positive feedback from Hitachi that there would be a field-based modification on its way - is there any more news?

ncpl - said that changes could be made in the service menu - but how does Joe Public get at this? (a simple unpublished combination of buttons on the remote I guess - but what combination?)

dblake - was going to change the fan and said that Richer Sounds knew what to do but were keeping schtum! Have you been able to persuade them to spill the beans? Like you I've searched the 'net for any answer without joy.

plus of course the red herring of an on/off switch! :rolleyes:

I love the screen but at low volumes, the fan's noise is noticeable/intrusive/frustrating - so any help/news from anyone would be appreciated.

2. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Hitachi yesterday about this and the technical guy i spoke to didn't know anything about a modifiaction to the fan...he suggested that one of the fans could be turned off but but they wouldn't recommend it...but there is a modification coming out regarding the PAL progressive scan compatibility (on a separate note)

3. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to the screen's supplier who advised that if I rang my local Hitachi service centre that they would send a man in a van out who would "disconnect one of the fans" foc - under warranty.

That said, I don't know for sure if my model has one or two fans...! The noise is consistant (so I presume these things aren't thermostatically controlled) and seems to be coming from a single place at the rear of the screen - so I guess I have but the one.

:confused:

Will give it a try when I can spare half a day at home waiting for him to arrive!

4. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just left another message for Matt at Hitachi technical support to confirm as he implied the noise depended on the room temperature hence thermostatically controlled...i will also ask him to confirm there are 2 fans. (The PAL progressive fix will be available to anyone who complains about it)

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Coincidantally I e-mailled my contact at Hitachi (Peter J) yesterday for some more feedback. I got an out of office reply saying he would be back on Monday 23rd September.

Dougall: If you spoke to Hitachi's "customer" techinical team I'm not surprised they did not know anything about the fan. When I spoke to them they could not even tell me the screen's native resolution :-( I got a more direct contact by e-mail after I wrote them a couple of nasty letters asking them why my requests for information via the feedback form on their website were being ignored.

BigCol: You can possibly tell if you have two fans by whether or not your instruction manual has a yellow addendum sheet saying that you cannot mount the screen in a portrait (vertical) orientation. The very first screens had two fans and could be mounted either way. Later Hitachi decided to sacrifice the portrain mounting in the name of eliminating one of the fans.

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    dougall

What is this PAL progressive fix ??

dvd

7. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When inputting a PAL progressive signal into the Hitachi I noticed that it couldn't keep up with sharp movements in the screen and the top area of the screen appeared to be distorted slightly. I phoned tech support and he told me they were in the process of testing a fix that should be available within a month and was taking details down of everyone who called in (he had about 7 on his list). I also asked him about the true benefits of outputing progressive on the dvd player in opposed to interlaced as it is an ALIS screen (having read the thousand page thread on this forum) but he simply told me that the better the signal that goes in the better it will appear on the screen (in short).

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In short, he had no clue. And there was I thinking this PMA400 and it's derivatives were the perfect sceen! How come they suffer from fan noise and a firmware problem with pal progressive? I've had similar contact with Hitachi's tech department, little to show for it. Mind you, that's not unusual, most elecronics firms seem to have a different idea of customer service than me.

9. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - first post for me here.

Im from Australia and I bought this panel a little while ago. I am so glad I stumbled across this thread as I was begining to think I was overly pedantic. I too found the noise an issue, to the point that i sent it back and got the TV version.

I was told by Hitachi that there was nothing I culd do about the noise and that is why they brought out the TV version with the media box.

Now I am mostly happy with the one I got, but I do find at times that the fleshtones are overy yellow/orange. This happens during a show where everything is appearing perfect, then they have another scene and it just looks like there has abeen an orange filter thrown over.

I am not too technical, but to me it seem like somethign wrong with the color/white balance. I have tried to change the color balance to the different presets, but this has not helped. I had a technician come out to look at the panel and he said there was no fault

I an not really sure what I should do now. If I should take it further with Hitachi or not. *shrug*

10. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had my 400E for a few days now & have to say, I cant hear the fan at all. I live in a very quiet area, in a house with double glazed windows. I turned off all electrical equipment except my digibox & the plasma. Left it running for about an hour so it got nice & hot. And still no noise. Could it be that they have removed the fan on the new models.

Of course there is the other way to look at it. Maybe the fan is broken :rolleyes:

Now if you really want to talk fan noise, lets talk about my Philips DVDR75 (DVD Recorder) The fan in that makes a jet engine sound quiet :eek:

Stuart

11. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a man in a van out ~10 days ago (pleasantly surprised how easy/efficient/helpful they were - the chap rearranged his schedule as I was off out and visited me early on the Saturday morning after I called on the Friday!)

He reckoned my noise was a transformer buzz (he said these panels don't have fans...!) and as they don't do any field repairs I now have a new screen en route!

:clap: I hope....!

12. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    BigCol

what plasma do you have?

DVD :)

13. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you - a 42PMA400E.

(and similar amp - Denon 3802... different speakers though - Linn stuff)

14. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So BigCol, am I right in saying that the Hitachi man told you that the new models of the 400E now have NO Fan?

If so that would explain why i couldnt hear it :rolleyes: great news for me, shame for those who already have the 1 or 2 fan models though. You can bet your life they wont replace them just because the people dont like the fans in them

Stuart

15. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My interpretation at the time was that the chap didn't know the product and was confused with the TV version which has much less heat generating electronics and so no need of a fan!

He reckoned that there were enough holes/grilles in the back to allow heat to escape without being forced out and as above that the noise was transformer-related.

You could be right and that yours is quiet due to an absence of a fan. If there has been sufficient negative feedback on this subject Hitachi may well has disabled/removed them.

I was happy to go with any diagnosis if I get a quiet screen as a replacement! :laugh:

Though I'm still waiting as they're out of stock. :(

16. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigCol,

Let us know how you get on with your replacement screen when it comes, specifically whether or not its's actually any quieter.

17. Mo-S3

Mo-S3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So does this model definately have fans ?? If so how noisy is it ? Does it get to a point where its obtrusive ??

18. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mo-S3,
    I have had the 400E since Monday & have still noticed NO FAN NOISE. I have still had no confirmation hear as to if the fan have been disable or even exist in the latest models. The 400E has had 2 fans in previous models, the Hitachi went to the 1 fan model. But seriously I just cant here one in mine at all. Im a recording engineer in my spare time, so I pride myself on me pretty good hearing, the rest of the family think im barking as I keep turning things off in the house to listen for the elusive fan noise, & it just aint there, not on mine 400E at least!:D
    Stuart

19. Mo-S3

Mo-S3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks stuart

20. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi all, I also have had my 400E since Monday and haven't had any fan noise. I have the mentioned yellow amendment sheet saying only to hang it horizontal. Mine is wall mounted in our extension and away from any noise, you could hear a pin drop. For those of you that have this noise (fan or other fault) have you had it from new, or is it something that happens over time?. I have also found Hitachi tech support disappointing (to say the least). Being as I got mine from RS and get on well with the boys I will ask them if they know of any issues.
    ASH1 :rolleyes:

21. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi all, just been talking to Matt at Hitachi tech support,this is what I was told. There are two fans in the 400E (all models). One could be disabled but they wouldn't recommend it. There is a fix for the prog scan problem (if you have it), but you will need a engineer to call out (it's in a hidden menu). The progressive scan issue is with certain films and DVD players (Pioneer and Harman Kardon) are two that was mentioned to me. Hope this clears up a few things.
    ASH1:smashin:

22. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive read on the forum in several places now about the number of fans in the the 400E & at the end of the day, I guess what really matters is if they are audible or not. Im my case if they do exist I dont hear them.:D

However, anyone ever notice the signal quality from a analogue cordless phone when you walk past the 400E. Im guessing all plasmas radiate in this way, but it totaly wipes out my phone signal. Wonder how frazzeled my brain will be in a few years time.
    My Family already resemble the Simpson too much :eek:

Stuart

23. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Stuart, maybe if you got yourself a digital cordless phone you wouldn't have that problem. Your brains may still fry but your phone will be ok :D
    ASH1:smashin:

24. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest...

Have been uncharacteristically patient and listened to the (differently phrased) "don't call us, we'll call you when we have the replacements come into stock" from Hitachi's service agents, so haven't called them for a couple of weeks.

Did so earlier and now the phone line is always engaged. So I rang Hitachi and was told that the company was face down in the water and so I had to go back to square one and throw a six to get my fan noise fixed or be supplied with a new quiet screen (again, bit of paraphrasing here...)

As above, chilled at present, so I shrugged my shoulders and rang the alternative number I was given and booked an appointment for one of that company's man in a van to call.

Began to get grumpy however when I was told that whilst the screen was under warranty and so our Japanese friends would cover parts/labour, the call out wouldn't be and how would I like to pay the £50...?

Just spoken, very calmly (though v p*ssed off) to Hitachi and am awaiting feedback but this isn't my understanding of what the on-site warranty would cover; is it down to the luck of the geographical draw and so which third party repairer Hitachi use and whether there is anything to pay?

:(

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Why isn't your dealer sorting this out for you? That's why we don't buy from unbeatable etc, you can't expect it from them, but any 1/2 decent dealer will get a little thing like that straightened out.

26. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment... and especially ironic as I work in a sales environment where we sell ourselves on the back of service/value and not price!

:rolleyes:

My initial call was to the supplier who, as above, said that all I needed to do was call Hitachi and they'd sort it...

My next line of attack will be back to them but having got so far down this road, one more step shouldn't be too difficult... (potentially famous last words!)

27. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hang on in there BigCol. And tell them to whistle for there £50. I think some of these companies hope you'll give up and it saves them from calling out.
    ASH1 :smashin:

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Service and value can often add very little to the cost, but much to customer satisfaction. Maybe Hitachi should bear that in mind too, they seem to be amongst the culprits. Panasonic uk are better than that with grey imports! They may not lend you a screen, but at least they pick it up, fix it, and send it back without pratting about.

29. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got Hitachi's new service agents coming out to have a look at the buzzing on my 42pd3000. They haven't mentioned anything about a call-out fee to me, I'm not sure how they can justify charging BigCol £50 and me nothing.