1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Elvis, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to spend £3k+ on a hitachi 42pd3000, and the only thing putting me off is the fact that it only comes with a 1 year manufacturers guarantee. I don't want to have to shell out another £3K in 13 months time if something goes wrong.

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced extended warranty for this model? I have heard that Hitachi Europe don't provide them (is this true ?)and places like warranty direct don't cover plasmas.

any advice welcome.

2. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do john lewis give 5 year , on all their tv/plasma?
    Dont know if they still do if you price match ? and who they price match with

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If JL is a no-go, you would easily get a extended warranty from the likes of Comet or Dixons... yeah, yeah, I know...

The set would cost you £3K and the warrantly likely £1K - however, I would almost *guarantee* that if you spend £1K on the warranty you would easily get £5/600 knocked off the price of the panel - effectively discounting the warranty (but in reality *not* - as we all know this is illegal!)...

HTH.

4. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answering my own question here but...

Phoned John Lewis in Cheadle they charge £3000 for the set including 5yr warranty. Pretty good, but as I am outside their delivery area if anything goes wrong I have to get it back to the store which is a pain, looks promising though.

AV sales charge £3055 for the set plus £260 for an extra 2yrs cover (3yrs in total with manufacturers warranty) which is quite a bit more but doesn't require me to travel with the set.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong and I'll never need the warranty, in which case travelling isn't a problem, if it does break I guess I could live with a trip to cheadle and I'll save £305.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Audiovision in Sheffield's price includes a two year warranty backed by Hitachi.

6. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i only got a year warranty because as a consumer the goods you buy should have at least a 5 year lifespan so if something does go wrong with the plasma i should be ok after the 12 months has ran out i got the hitachi 400e £2500 from richer sounds.a 2 year warranty on top of the 1 year is £199 but i didnt bother

7. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andya,

I understand your point, but from what I have read in this forum and others there is a bit of a grey area in terms of what kind of service you can expect from a manufacturer without a warranty.

I'm no expert on these things but I figure peace of mind is well worth a bit extra on a £3K TV. But hey! If I buy from JL it won't even cost me any extra.

Thanks for everyone's contribution BTW