1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi DVRX7000E - Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bosco, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping that I can get some advice from you all.

I've recently moved from the +r/+RW camp to the -R/-RW/Ram format after having a year of trouble from my original dvd recorder (Philips 880) and its replacement (Philips R70), both of which failed within one year after little use. As I bought these machines in Argos there was no problem in bringing them back and on both occasions a replacement was offered immedieatly. However after the R70 died last Saturday I decided that I needed to go for a different manufacturer and opted for a Panasonic E55, unfortunately for me the modle that Argos sells in Ireland is only the UK model and the TV tuner will not work here (as we are on a cable system we use VHF not UHF as used in the UK), so this machine was returned and the only other option was the Hitachi (the only other recorders were a Bush, Goodmans or Samsung). I've been trying to find reviews etc on this machine but can't find anything anywhere and this concerns me. I've set the machine up and it appears to be working fine but I'm not so sure that it is as good as the Panasonic. While the E55 has progressive scan outputs it doesn't have firewire or coax digital out (only optical) and cannot record to -RW, the Hitachi has both coax and optical digital out, can record to -R/-RW & Ram but has no progressive scan outputs. I can still return the Hitachi to Argos and either wait until they get some new (Irish) stock in or just accept the UK model and only record from my digital STB (which I only record from anyway) but this means that every time I switch the machine on I have to manually set the clock (no big deal I know but a bit of a pain). If there is anyobody out there who has one of these Hitachi machines maybe you could let me know how you are getting on with it. I have searched through this forum and when people are looking for advice on what to buy nobody ever mentions the Hitachi and I don't know whether this is because it's a bad machine or whether it's just a case that nobody knows about it.

Anyway, all comments are welcome.

Cheers.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    It's the latter although I suspect it is probably a budget machine, aimed at the budget market. The Samsung model is a reasonable choice (based on the Panasonic E50 but with DVD-RW support).

3. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got one of these and the only problem I have is with the fan ( but I am told that you get a fan on all these machines.
    This is my first machine and I got it because it has the dv input, it was very easy to set up and within a couple of hours I had transfered some video tape onto DVD-R and turned it into a DVD which plays fine on my Yamada 6100( my wife said she thought the copy was better than the original video recording). The picture quality at xp and sp from sky are just as the original source, I was very impressed with the quality. the on screen navigation is a doddle to use ie deleting recordings and playing them back.
    I have not transfered any dv tape yet but if the VHS is anything to go by then it will be very good.
    I have only had it a day so I have not tried editing but it looks like it has a lot of features.
    Like you I could not find any details about the machine in the forums but I saw in the argos catologue that it has only just become available so maybe it is a new product, as for it being a budget machine I am not sure but it seems to have all the features and the quality is good.
    Like I say the only thing that concerns me is the fan noise so it would be nice to here from someone who has owned other players to say if it is loud or quiete.

Hope that helps
    Greame

4. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan noise is the same for most of the newer recorders, the Panasonic that I had for a day or so (this was before I found out that it was the UK model and not the Irish model) had the same fan noise so I'm not too concerned about that. I also don't think that it's a budget recorder as you can get a Philips R70 (€299), Goodmans, Bush DVDR/Video combo or the samsung for €349.00 (that's about £250). The Hitachi cost me €399 (about £280) and the Panasonic E55 was only €50 more at €449 (although it can be purchased for €399 elsewhere). One of the reasons that I went for the Hitachi when the Panasonic had to be returned is that I read in one of the Home Cinema magazines that these were sister companies and that previous Hitachi recorders were based on a similar Panasonic model (even down to the remote which was identical in every way except for the name). I'll try it out for the rest of the week and will make my mind up then, I don't know why but I just like the Panasonic more even though it is an ugly looking machine (the Hitachi is one of the nicest available) and that big display seems to attract the kids attention like flies to .....

Thanks for the feedback anyway, any more comments are welcome :thumbsup:

5. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how you get on with it, and are you saying that you have the hitachi now and that the fans are at a mormal noise leval for a DVD recorder.
    Greame

6. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. I got the Hitachi yesterday, set it up and recorded some kids stuff onto a DVD-R. I recorded it in SP but wasn't sure whether the quality was as good as the original (I have recorded on 3 other players, 2 philips and the panasonic) and normally you can't tell the difference, the panasonic even looked sharper than the original. I really need to do some more testing on it. One thing that I did notice is that it takes a long time to recognise what media you put into it, it never seemed to take that long on the other players.

7. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting Bosco, thanks for the info (so far). Tell me, does it do -RW in vr mode as well as video mode?

8. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does -RW in VR and Video mode, you choose which one you want to record in. I forgot to mention that it also has a PIP (picture in picture) function so if the kids or wife are watching something that they recorded and you want to watch the match you can put the live feed as a small pip or if you like the recorded feed as the pip (audio is only given on what ever feed is given the most screen i.e. out of the pip box). A handy addition to those whose TV doesn't have this function as standard. :thumbsup:

9. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to know, so it's better than Toshiba in that respect. Does it have Flexible Recording on DVD and hard disc? Does it offer both High Speed & realtime re-encoding when dubbing from HDD-DVD? And a play-list feature on the hard disc? If yes to all these then it sounds like a contender.

10. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has flex recording but this is not a HDD/DVDR recorder (couldn't really expect it to be at that price (£279)). Anyway, if anyone else has one of these machines maybe they could post their opinions on it too.

11. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: Sorry! :)

12. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I decided to carry out some extensive tests last night and I'm afraid that the results were VERY disappointing. I went through all the record modes and the quality of this machine was the worst that I have ever experienced, I'd almost go as far to say that my VCR would have done better from a digital source as my NTL box. Unless you are only going to use this for recording direct from video then I would not recommend it. It is possible that I just got a dud and that the recording quality is much better than what I have managed to achieve but from witnessing the quality of the Panasonic (in LP mode) and the Philips (also in LP mode) both of these machines leave the Hitachi in the shade even when the compression levels of the Hitachi are much lower and the recording is in SP mode. I have returned the machine to Argos and am waiting on new stock of the Panasonic to come in (3 weeks I'm told). Also, the Panasonic has now been reduced to €399.99 so all in all a better buy.