1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi - dead pixel and policy ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by edinburgh160, Apr 29, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    to my horror my 4 month old set has a cyan/blue dead pixel bang in the middle. I called Hitachi who said that this is not in their opinion a fault and they would not swap. Stranger still, they have arranged for an Edinburgh firm to come this afternoon to look at it - why I dont know because this firm said they can't be fixed.
    Does anybody know the policy on this, as £2k is alot of money to spend on a set that produces a dead pixel after only 4 months.
    Hope you can help, so I can take it further.
    thanks

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    After 4 months, you're not likely to get a replacement for a single stuck pixel as, certainly as far as Hitachi are concerned, it'll be well within tolerance. Not sure about their plasmas but I've read an article recently on Hitachi's policy for their LCD's and you have to have 6 dead/stuck pixels to be able to claim under warranty.

Can you see it when watching video sources - I had a single stuck red pixel on my 42PD3000 but you could only see it when fed a PC signal with a white background.

John

3. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks john,
    yes it is on all sources unfortunately, the chap hasn't came round yet and I'm not sure why he's coming as Hitachi said they dont want to know and he said they cant fix these. be interesting to see what he says

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    engineers just been. classes the dead pixel as an 'A' grade and said it is one of the worst he has seen and in his opinion unacceptable. He will get in touch with Hitachi and (given the bank holiday) will get back to me on Tuesday.
    He said it would require a replacement display. Fingers crossed

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Good luck with it. Might be worthwhile trying to get your retailer on your side as well - didn't do me any harm when I managed to get the 3000 replaced by Hitachi due to the buzzing despite them saying it was 'within specification'

John

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Hitachi said that my one week old screen was "within specification" with one dead pixel towards the centre of the screen, but after the Engineer came out to look and reported back, it was replaced quite quickly and the replacement came direct from Hitachi.

Hopefully you won't have a problem in getting a replacement.

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers. the guy said that it would be likely an actual Hitachi engineer would require to look at it - IF - they are thinking of replacing.
    Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how I get on

8. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like it could be getting replaced

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's why I would not buy another Hitachi. I have a dead pixel too, although it's on the periphery of the screen and "it's not a fault". I will be wiser next time around.

Just in case anyone from Hitachi is reading this - you just lost a customer.