1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi CP - X327

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Doug, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone own or know anything about this projector? I don't know much about PJ's, but a friend can get a good deal on this one and I was wondering if it's any good?

Thanks
    Doug

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Depends how good the deal is...

Assuming it's nearly the same model as my CP-X325 (which is probably a pretty good assumption), it's a very nice bright XGA resolution business PJ that doubles quite handily as a home cinema PJ via HTPC (you could run it off a standalone DVD player, but it doesn't have too many connections for that sort of thing).

It's not ideal, though, as its black levels are not very good, and shadow detail is lacking. Also, I can't quite get the colours to look right - there's a bit of a greenish tinge to flesh tones. And the contrast level is pretty weak.

But these are relatively minor gripes for what is a very decent projector at a very nice resolution - as long as you get it for a good price. I got mine second hand for a grand in August of last year. This was a decent price back then, but since then projector prices have dropped considerably (largely thanks to the Panny PT-AE100 - grrr!:mad:)

These days, seeing as you can get the Panny for £800 new (or less?), I wouldn't want to spend more than, say £6-700 for this one second hand. It's a higher res. than the Panny, but I doubt its contrast levels or black levels are as good. Having said this, I haven't actually seen the Fanny in action, so I would take my advice with a grain of salt. :p

Anyway, yeah, my advice is, as long as it's less than about £700, then it's worth going for. Otherwise, steer clear. Out of curiosity, just how much is your friend offering?

Dunc

3. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for yr reply, Dunc! I don't know how similar the 325 is to the 327, I see they have the specs for the 327 on this site:

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/

It seems to have component inputs, which I would probably use from my standalone DVD player,since normally component gives the best picture - don't know if this is possible?

The deal is £900, but they are brand new and come with a year warranty.

Think I'll check out the AE100 to compare...

Thanks again

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just checked out the specs of the 327 and it seems it's a significant improvement on the 325 - so ignore everything I said. :)

BTW, £900 for the 327 new sounds like a great deal to me, seeing as I paid more for an inferior model secondhand. :(

Anyway, I agree with your decision to check out the Panny first. In any case, good luck,

Dunc