1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi CMP4121HDE Plasma has RGBHV connections. Can I connect an RGB source to it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jon Weaver, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have been looking at the review/specs of the Hitachi CMP4121HDE and can see that as well as a 15 pin VGA connector and componant, it offers R,G,B,H and V connections.

I am pretty sure that the answer is no, but with a suitable lead (SCART to BNC), it is possible to connect an RGB device (i.e DigiBox, DVD etc) to these connections.

I am pretty sure that this kind of connection is used for a PC, but just wanted to check.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use the vga port for my ntl digital box through a john sim box www.rgbtosvideo.com
    you will have to check it works with the panell you were thinking of buying
    what happened to the toshiba you were looking in too?

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Jon

Do you mean the 5 BNC connectors? If so I think Keene or Electropaks sell a SCART to 5 BNC lead (syncblaster?) but if memory serves some buyers reported that they couldn't get it to work with their plasma. Others got good results.

You say the screen has component - or do you mean composite, RGBHV is component of course.

If I were you to avoid problems I would use either the scart to vga converter or the new scart to component also sold by John Sim. It is phono component but you can get phono to BNC converters.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can use the RGB to Plasma VGA unit in to the VGA input (15-pin D-Type) and keep other inputs free for future uses. Although we can still use the RGBHV input with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to allow more RGB inputs to the screen. With the Hitachi screen, you should check to see that this input can take an input at 15kHz, you can email the specifications if you're not sure what to look for.

Even if the screen doesn't take RGB at 15kHz, all is not lost as we can still use RGB to Component and use the Y, Pr, Pb input.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    J.S. Technology

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    There are several questions by several people, so I will answer all in one post.

Jmack,

I am aware of a converter between RGB and S-video, but I don't want to 'downgrade' to S-Video. I want to use RGB.

I am still thinking about the Tosh, I just wanted to find out whether the Hitachi would let me connect an RGB source without the need of conversion and save me a few more pennies

PhilipB.

I don't think that the RGB+HV is the same as componant. RGBHV is Red, Green and Blue with Horizontal and Vertical Sync.

Compontant is different.. Its got Red, Green and Blue connectors, but its not the same (as far as I know) as the RGBHV connections that the Hitachi has.. Although, its possible that both Componant and RGB share the same physical connectors.

Symanski,

I am aware of the RGB to VGA/Componant converter.. Infact, i have already budgeted for it, should I go down the Plasma route.. I am just trying to find out whether the Hitachi will be cheaper overall than the Toshiba.

MAny thanks for all your help.. Looks like the Hitachi donsn't offer anything (other than the Hi-Res screen) over the Toshiba.

I will be back in the UK on Saturday and plan to do a bit of 'demoing'

All the best

Jon

6. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread but I've finally took the plunge and ordered my plasma !!
    After the Richer Sounds farce I decided to order the Hitachi CMP-4121HDE which I found for £3050 inc. vat (RRP £4500).
    I have sorted out connections for my DVD player (component) but need to find out how to connect my Sky Digibox via RGB without shelling out for a John Sim Box if possible.
    The AV inputs are; Component Video, two types of RGB input (a Dsub and five BNC plugs), composite video input, S-video, two pairs of stereo audio input, RS232 input, and a composite video input.
    Please help ??!!
    I will post a review once it is on the wall at the weekend ..

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Please, don't get too fixed with the price. Try a retailer that has experience of such screens. Elsewhere in this forum is a story of 1 out of 15 people that bought a screen with no video input board (no component, no composite and no S-Video input). Fortunately, he knew about the Plasma VGA product and was able to get a picture. Now he's faced with having to source a terminal board for the screen, where he bought it doesn't stock them.

What if you found that the £200 saved was because you didn't get all the boards that are normally supplied? And if you wanted to get the screen up and running you'd have to spend another £500? There are retailers that frequent this forum who are experienced in these matters, please talk with them. Their expertise does have value.

Hitachi:
    I've been to their website for a look at the CMP4121HDE specification. It would seem to me, from their on-line information, that you will require an RGB to Plasma VGA unit. It also indicates that it is compatible with a 15kHz input too. Therefore, I believe that the screen will work with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

All the best,

Dr John Sim
    J.S. Technology

8. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, cheque is in the post for the RGB to S-Video Convertor Version 2 (to be used to get Sky up to the Plasma, will my video work if I plug it into the back of the Sky Box ??), I now have a Toshiba SD-520E which I will be connecting via Component.
    Thanks again, review will be ready Wednesday, can't hang the Plasma yet as the cement holding the bricks together above the fireplace is still wet !!!

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You'll be able to make recordings off Sky, but to view the video you should have this connected directly to the video (composite) input. S-Video from Sky can go up too.

So, RGB out from Sky to the converter. S-Video from the converter up to the screen. Video recorder should be connected to the VCR output of Sky, and the video recorder output to the composite input on the screen.

All the best,

John.

10. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I have only just had chance to check my emails etc. as I have been moving home, thanks for the convertor by the way ..
    I only have one Scart socket on the back of my JVC Video Recorder so how would you or anyone suggest I connect this to the Plasma to allow playback and recording.
    Picture/sound quality from this source does not really concern me as I will only be using the Video occasionally for taping Corrie etc. !!
    Cheers everyone .....

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    foxmeister:

Easy! SCART has in and out for composite on the one connector! You should be able to get a Y type lead, where the bottom of the Y is your VCR, tops coming from the digibox and going to the plasma.

Now, where can you find such a lead? I'm not sure, but it is possible. The SCART to six phono type leads do this, but what you need is one which comes from SCART, to SCART and then to three RCA connected to video and audio outs.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know where I can get one of these leads from please ??