1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi CL32PD3000 vs Loewe Aconda?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by djinn, Jan 4, 2004.

1. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok

Here goes the decision. Which one? I have a budget of £2000 ish, and have a choice between the plasma Hitachi CL32PD3000 or buying the CRT Loewe Aconda for £1500.

It is for DVD or Free to air digital. Computers are not necessary - but the question is which one is best?

Any thoughts?

2. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    djinn,

Go for the Hitachi CL32PD3000 :smashin:

DVD :D

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry to disagree but the Loewe will be in another class from the Hitachi (or any other plasma for that matter.)

You MUST see these side by side before making a decision, but at the very least see them both.

Look at close up images of a face. Newsreaders are a good example. Look at sporting events with lots of movement.

I think after viewing them you will clearly see the problems plasma displays have.
    lack of deep blacks, poor contrast ratio, limited colour pallette, pixelly digital artefacts etc. etc.

Thats not to say tha Loewe is perfect, (it doesn't have progressive scan) but if you have the space then CRT is still the best.

4. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Add to that that there is a Loewe Aconda in the special offers forum for £999.99 and it really is a misnomer.

Cheers, Brock.

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Aconda is better than any 32" plasma.
    If you can accomodate it then go for the Loewe and save yourself some money and get better picture quality too!! :smashin:

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Gotta agree that the Loewe would be the better bet if you've got the room. At that size it makes no sense to spend twice as much - £999 is a bargain.

If it was 32" CRT over say a 42" plasma then the choice would be harder.

Get the CRT now, save the extra and upgrade in a couple of years time when prices will have dropped and quality improved even more.

Cheers, Lee

7. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Plasmas may not be perfect,but i would never go back to a big brick sitting in my front room :D

On my setup the PQ is very good with sky,even when watching sports!! :D

At the end of the day it's down to personal choice :smoke:

DVD :D

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an interesting one. I have a 42pd3000, and my father-in-law has the loewe. I much prefer my hitachi, the picture on the loewe looks 'fake' and over processed to me (not to mention small :p) When he saw my plasma he couldn't stop drooling, I'm guessing he prefers the hitachi too.

As has been suggested already try to see them next to each other if you can.

9. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Elvis,
    The thread is about comparing a 32" Loewe CRT with 32" Hitachi plasma not a 42" Hitachi.
    I have owned a Loewe Aconda & Articos and I can say from experience that they have the best and most natural picture of any 32".
    If your in laws picture looks fake its because its not set up properly. Do a search on Loewe.

I am considering purchasing the Hitachi 42" as a TV and getting a projector for films, so Im not against the Hitachi.
    I have recently set up my brothers 42PD3000 with Avia disc and it looks excellent! :smashin:

10. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what the thread is about, I'm just passing on my comments based on my experience. I don't own a 32" hitachi so my comments are based on the 42" model, which is pretty much the same except bigger.

I don't know whether my father in laws loewe has been correctly set up either, but based on what I have seen I don't like the picture. I think that some of the high end CRT screens employ lots of processing to give the picture greater definition (ie: a more '3d' look) which I don't really like.

At the end of the day it's down to personal taste, I re-iterate my previous statement, a buyer considering these (or any) two sets should try viewing both side by side and then make their own minds up.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Advantages of hitachi plasma v 32 inch Loewe CRT:

It really is 32 inches
    It fits in the room
    It looks the business

Disadvatages:
    Cost
    PQ not quite as good but because it's a 32 inch screen it doesn't notice as much as a bigger panel
    Still prone to motion blur on footy
    Many panels buzz