Hitachi Cineform directors series

rudy

Standard Member
Reaction score
These plasmas are available in the states. www.hitachi.us

Look damn sexy, especially the42HDX62.

Unfortunately it does'nt state the contrast ratio(i could'nt see it) which means it probably is'nt very good

There is a review in this months Perfect Vision of the 55" version and it gets a good write up, but does say that when moving to darker scenes it lets itself down.
They say that they just seem to be getting brighter rather than trying to reduce the absolute black level, which is great if you need a screen for a room that has loads of light pouring in.

They also have a section on Hitachis future plans, they are moving away from ALiS screens for the top end models with the next batch and moving into proper progressive screens. The budget screens will still be ALiS though.

What i like about my Hitachi is you can't see a 'grid'(for want of technical expression), especially during light scenes. Is this a feature of alis?

What screens have you seen the grid on?

I presume you mean the pixel structure.

Correcto. Thats one reason i preferred the Hitachi over the PW7(pixel structure is VERY visible) though the latter had excellent contrast. Are there any other sets, non ALiS, which don't show the pixel structure? What about the new Samsungs?

Well I could see the pixel structure on my Panny PW6 from sitting distance of around 8ft, but I had to be about 4ft away from the PHD6 to see it as it is a 1024x768 screen.
When I got the Pioneer which is also 1024x768 I could again see the pixel structure from normal seating position.

I see that Hitachi on their directors series are going back to using progressive panels instead of ALiS panels and they have made quite a thing about the gaps between pixels being small, they described it as "very little unused space giving a smoother image".
Pioneer has probably the most amount of unused space between pixels, and alot of people really like this as it makes the screen look sharper, I don't mind either way as long as I don't see it whilst watching stuff it doesn't bother me at all.

Ok, so having the least amount of unused space means a smoother picture, with little visible pixel structure?

Yeah, which I suppose makes sense.

When reading the specs of the 42" model i noticed it's still using Alis technique:

A perfect blend of form and function, experience unrivaled color quality with exclusive ALiS technology that produces over one million pixels along with the Virtual HD 1080p II digital processor that enhances any TV picture.

Jeffrey

Exclusive ALIS technology, only shared with Fujitsu, Sony, Philips, JVC, Samsung, to name a few! One could be excused for thinking it must be the best out there. I think there's simply more of it, the manufacturing plant is the biggest in the world. They plan on moving on as soon as the new year apparently, maybe we will see Hitachi/Fujitsu invest in a true HD panel??

Don't want to start it again......

But.....ALiS panels result to be present in some of the best screens
around in the world from Hitachi, Fujitsu, Sony & Philips amongst others. :smashin:

Manufacturing, nowadays, is exclusive to Hitachi (80%) and Fujitsu (20%).
Don't think Hitachi will be moving away from ALiS so soon. Why is that??
Only because some blokes say ALiS is crap?? Who are these "experts"?? :confused:

There is a bigger possibility of some models from some particular brand, heavily promoted on this forum, to have some ALiS models. :devil:

Wait and see, but not so soon ;)

Cheerz :clap:

I think its down to the contrast levels, and the need to resolve the HD issues with the current screen format. There is something on the US website about it according to one poster but I have'nt actually read it myself.

PS I'm not knocking ALis as I am happy with my ALis plasma.

Camorra, read the article in this months The Perfect Vision, Hitachi are moving to progressive displays for some of their range, they are sticking with ALiS screens too though.
The 55HDX61 is a 55" screen with a 1366x768 is a progressive screen coming out of their new plant, which is co owned with Fujitsu (80/20 share).
It gets a good write up too, they say in the conclusion "You might not get the black level required for superb dark scene performance, but aside from that and the potential for a greenish factory greyscale calibration, this set pretty much holds its own with anything out there."

Hitachi seem to push the fact that there is very little "dead" space between pixels, giving a very smooth image and less noticeable pixel structure.

Interesting that they seem to tacitly concede that the alis technology will be retained in the 'budget' end of the market. Up against Korean re-badge type screens, it will of course kick ass, so if costs are low enough, it'll be a good move for tham I'm sure. There is no hard info on their new progressive display, which gives me some hope that they will pull a rabbit out of the hat. They get more pixels per sq cm than anyone else, could they fit a HD resolution into 42"?

Gizlaroc,

AFAIK the Hitachi 55" is e-ALiS and the UK version has been available here for over 18 months.

The monitor version is surpisingly good via component or DVI.

E-alis has nothing whatsoever to do with ALIS as we know and love it. It's just some sort of marketing speak. Fujitsu, with the same panel, do not mention it at all. Confusing?

Superpixel, I don't know mate, I just replied as it seemed to get a good write up in the mag, and there was also a setion on their future plans and they talk about the 55HDX62 and other models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom