1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi & centre audio mode

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeIOW, Sep 23, 2003.

1. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,
    page 28 of the manual suggests you can set the speaker mode on the 42PD3000 to accept audio in through the tuner box.
    I'm lazily asking if anyone has tried this (my speakers are boxed in the garage ;-): it strikes me as a good method to avoid the need for centre speaker above or below the unit, and perhaps could even tie speech to the screen better than a single centre speaker ?

(I assume the plug is just a regular speaker to phone plug....the manual casually ignores this completely other than telling me "Center Audio In" !!)

cheers
    Mike

2. banane

banane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a preamplified input rather than a speaker input. Some AV amplifier have preamplified outputs for each channel.

3. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks - clearly I need to look on the back of my Yam rx-v590 to see if this offers anything here. Although to be honest I'm likely to upgrade the amp soon anyway: don't suppose you know any good reasonable amps that would offer this (considering the denon 3803 or Pioneer 2011 sort of ranges) ?!!

(& I presume using a pre-amp o/p from the amp would mean that centre controls would work through that ?!)

Probably daft questions from someone who doesn't really understand ;-)

thanks !
    Mike

4. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeIOW,

As banane said - its a pre-amplified input. So you would need to make sure you had pre-outs on your AV amp.

Sound quality from the centre speakers is pretty reasonable. I have been pretty impressed with them - they sound considerably better than the speakers I have had on previous TV's including my Sony which had a seperate subwoofer. Dont get me wrong they are not going to match even a half decent centre speaker - but as long you have a subwoofer or somewhere else to direct the bass to - they would do a reasonable job.

RickB

5. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I was hoping that was the case as it would be a much neater solution for me to have the TV speakers to act as the centre as my current centre speaked is huge and not that good anyway, and I know my Yamaha 795rds as pre outs for all speakers.

6. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahhh...as does my old 590 !
    Er...dumb question (another ?!) - what cable would be used to connect this ??!!
    ( I even resorted to reading the manual - but no hints there other than 'if you drive a center speaker with an external power amp, connect the input terminal of the external amp to this terminal' !)

thanks !
    Mike

7. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Standard single phono lead, I guess a red or white one will do :D

8. cmax

cmax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone had tried this?

I connected up my amp pre out center to the TV Box center input (one phono) and couldnt hear a peep!? With the TV set to center (rather than normal) I couldnt hear anything at all!..

Any advice?

UPDATE: If I turn the TV volume upto 100% I can hear something thats nearly the same level as the rest of the speakers.... It would appear that the line levels from my amp (Sony 930 on 10% volume) are lower than what the TV line input is expecting. Has anybody got any experience of mis-matched line in/out 's?

9. pipjackson

pipjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone successfully managed this? Can you advise on all setting, cables etc or post the link to the information.

Pip

10. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nope never got it working. Sorry

11. pipjackson

pipjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you then opt to use your centre speker from your surround

12. pipjackson

pipjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A call to Richer Sounds Technical support gave me the solution. Simple really, just take the wires from the speakers on the plasma and extend them and wire directly into the centre speaker input of the amp.

Finally if you do not want Coronation Street or Eastender is full surround sound you use a standard speaker two way switch box (Maplins) and wire back in to the speaker inputs on the back of the plamsa so you can watch TV through the stand speakers at the flick of a switch.

Pip