1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi C36WF810N

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Serpico, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd like to hear views of this tv from people who've bought one, to see if it's as good as the reviews make out. Is it worth spending £300 more to get this, rather than a Phillips 32PW9617c?

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had one of these sets before changing it for a 36" Sony. IMO the Sony out classed it by a mile, the progressive scan was not up to much, Sony's DRC was much better.

Overall it wasn't a bad set.

Personally i would go for a 36", had a 32" phillips and to be honest when you are watching a 2.35:1 ratio movie the picture is very small, approx 12" high. A 36" will give a little more impact.

Better still go for a RPTV, i did, great pictures and prices are very competitive with CRT sets.

good luck

bob

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Serpico,
    Hitachi C36WF810 is not even close to the Philips, nor should it be being a much older design. The progressive scan isn't startling. the DTS is poor, the supplied speaker package is bulky but less tinny than most tv speakers.
    Most important the picture clarity with this set, whilst O.K. when it was new is nothing like Sony and Philips offer now.
    Hitachi no longer have a desire to compete with all singing all dancing televisions like these, there new models (just three of them) are just very basic re-badged Turkish OEMs.
    Bob007 is spot on, go for a 36" if you are tempted. I have a 32" and would really like the Philips 36PW9607 or maybe the latest Toshiba 36" models, which I haven't seen working yet, but look to be tops.

4. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks a bunch for the advice guys. I'd love to get the 36" Phillips but I have to work to a budget. I wanted to spend around a grand, but as usual I'm willing to go a fair bit over budget, but I can't justify spending over £1500 on a tv, no matter how much I desire it.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Serpico,
    I'm not suggesting you extend your budget, but £1500 is amazingly good value when spread over the life of the set. The entertainment provided, think of all the sports, movies and tv dramas you'll enjoy much more with a big colourful picture and whizz around surround sound. For years...
    Compared to the money one can waste in life, wives, girlfriends, (both at once maybe), children, pets, cars, bikes, holidays, and worst of all houses and investments, a big television is the most fantastic way to spend your £1500.
    If you've got it spend the extra - if you haven't, do the best you can.

6. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The more I look into this, the more options I can see. I'm considering getting a Nicam stereo rear projection tv (Tosh 43VJ13P maybe, I've seen available for £1200) and buying a 5.1/DTS receiver to go with it.

Thoughts?

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why not go for the Toshiba 42PW23P RPTV for under £1200. This is a 50Hz Widescreen Nicam set. I have had mine for about 5 weeks and so far think it is great value for money.