1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi C32WF535N

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cxd, Jan 25, 2002.

1. cxd

cxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a new 32" widescreen TV and have read the special review in the January edition of What HiFi.

I am very keen on the Hitachi C32WF535N which seems to get a fantastic write-up but I have some further questions (being a complete novice) before I part with my hard-earned cash.

Can anybody out there with more knowledge than me (or possibly with the TV) answer my following questions :

1. The review says it has 6 preouts to support Dolby Digital. What I want to know is - if I connect the 2 rear surround preouts to my HiFi amp's aux inputs (positioning the speakers accordingly), connect an 'active' subwoofer and then use the 3 internal tv speakers for Front Left/Right and Centre will I get true Dolby Digital sound ? or do I need to connect all preouts to a suitable amp/speaker configuration before this is possible ?

2. Anybody tried it?

3. Is it any good ?

4. Anybody got recommendations on active speakers if it is not possible ?

5. Is the TV as good as the write up suggests?

Many Thanks

2. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 28" version which is supposed to be identical electrically. Yes you could use an active sub plus an ordinary stereo amplifier to feed 2 rear speakers and use the internal speakers for the front. All you need to do is not mute the internal speakers.
    On the other hand, my small Sirocco Crossfire satellites used instead of the TV speakers sound a lot better than the internal ones, so I would only recommend using the internal speakers if on a tight budget.
    One thing that threw me at first before I got separate speakers was that there is NO internal centre speaker despite the speaker grill at the bottom front centre. This means you have to set the centre speaker to OFF in the TV menu so that it can create a phantom centre, otherwise dialogue sounds wierd. The 32" may be different though as there is more room for an internal centre speaker.

3. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, to the original question, this tv is definately worth buying, I have the 32 inch version. The audio system is very odd as it has a decoder and like sbrads mentioned no centre speaker( even for 32 inch version) but it has all the outputs. I have not messed about with audio outs so cant really comment (only had the set a few weeks) but the pic and sound are really good. It has two rgb scart and it does display the rgb scart at its very best!! I am very happy owner of this tv- I only wish there was a 36inch version of this tv. The best 900 pounds I have spent:) :) Go ahead and buy this tv you wont regret it.
    Bash

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I want to get this TV but am confused about whether it is Dolby Digital or Dolby Prologic. Can someone clarify this.

What is the purpose of the 6 phonos at the back of the TV? Can I connect speakers to the outputs or will I need an amp?

Is this TV any better than the Philips 32PW6515 which has Virtual Dolby Surround and a centre speaker?

Thanks for any help.

5. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has doly prologic but you need rear speakers, and a centre! It also has dolby digital decoder built into it.

6. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    So if it has a Dolby Digital decoder built in can I just add speakers. This may be a dumb question but I don't know how these things work.

7. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't just plug in speakers, the 6 phono outputs are at line level and need an amplifier for each channel that you want to add a speaker. Alternatively you can use active speakers which are the same thing really except the amplifier is built into the speaker.

8. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    David T

I think this model tv is rather pointless, infact I don't know quite why Hitachi saw fit to build it.

The problem is, that although the set has both Dolby ProLogic and Dolby Digital decoders built in, you will here neither without extra equipment.

Without extra equipment, all you will hear is a surround sound 'effect'. The 'effect' will be something similar to other sets that feature '3DS' surround or 'Virtual Dolby' surround. All of which are hopeless in trying to convince your hearing that it is proper surround sound. Best avoided.

The extra equipment I refer to is a set of 5/6 speakers and an Av amp. Most, if not all Av amps will already include a Dolby ProLogic/Dolby Digital decoder, so this would then make the set's built in decoder redundant.

If you are still set on this set, what you do is to purchase an ordinary stereo amp and one pair of rear surround speakers.

The amp would connect to just 2 of the 6 phono connectors on the back of the tv. This would allow you to enjoy surround sound through the new rear speakers, whilst the tv would use it's own speakers for the front stereo sound.

But even going through all this, you would still miss out on the important centre/dialogue sound because the tv lacks this third speaker.

Personally, I would just opt for the Hitachi 32WF810, which is almost identical, except this has the on-board amplification to go with the Dolby ProLogic/Dolby Digital/DTS decoders. It also includes the speakers - no need to buy anything else to enjoy true DolbyDigital.

You can buy this set now for as little as £800, was originally £1400. It also gets a rave review. The only slight niggle is it has only 2x scarts. I think the 535 has 3.

9. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Thanks guys for the responses.

Simon - Where have you seen the 810 for £800?

The problem I also have is that Hitachi tell me that the 535 has been discontinued and I can't get one anywhere!!!

David

10. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 810 is not as good in picture quality terms also it has only one rgb scart. You can pick up the c32wf535n through empire for 800 pounds!! A bargain for the price. I had a C36810n but is was crapp - both pic and sound. It is available at powerhouse-online.co.uk. Good luck!!

11. JimJammy

JimJammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try these - They sell the 32" for £699.98 and the 28" for £550!

I bought mine (28") from them - It will cost £20 for 48 Hr delivery through TNT - They even phoned and gave a morning/afternoon time. I haven't had any problems so can't say anything about the after sales customer service.

www.electronics-plc.com/

With regard to the above points on speakers etc. I have bought the BushPro300 which is an all in one system - I.e the Sub includes an amp and powers all the surround speakers. This is DD 5.1 only - Not DTS, but I haven't seen any DVD's etc that choose the later over 5.1 - If anything it's the other way.

The speakers cost £99 in Tesco's (Extra store) - About £85 from QED, and I've heard they were about £60 in Safeway - None near me and I don't know if the offer is still on(?)

I am VERY impressed by the picture quality, and even the sound from the Bush system - I intended to upgrade in about a year, but they way it can shake the room, I don't intend to bother! - Yes there are much better speaker systems out there, but for the money I am not complaining one bit!

Total cost of full surround system and TV = £669! - TV alone is £749 in the high street! (28")

The built in TV 5.1 decoder etc will only be of use if a) Your DVD player doesn't have one, or b) If BBC/ITV etc start transmitting signals in 5.1, but most new Sky boxes etc may build on in anyway. However I have the speakers plugged into my TV ouputs and use them instead of the internal speakers (Which are ok anyway), which gives great all round sound regardless of what you watch.

Hope this helps - I would recomment the 32" if the 28" is anything to go by.

12. cxd

cxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took a look at this website (electronics-plc.com) and looking at their terms and conditions it says "All products sold on the web site are graded stock" - what does this mean ? I assume it's not brand new ?

13. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I think graded stock means NOT brand new. The sets are probably returns that have been repaired or that have some damage (knocks / scratches).

14. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I have to say that the Hitachi is still high on my list (if I can get one) along with the Philips 32PW6515.

I know the Philips TV's have had some bad press in this forum but that seems to be directed at the 28" TV's. Philips get very good reviews as do Hitachi.

I am not bothered about experiencing the full surround sound as I do not want loads of speakers positioned around the lounge so the limitations of the Hitachi are not an issue. I do though want the best quality sound that I can get (within my £800 range) utilising the internal speakers and maybe the 2 speakers connected to a hifi. I also want the best picture quality again given my budget (Philips has a digital comb filter, Hitachi doesn't, does this matter?).

The Philips has an internal subwoofer so probably wins on that score but the Hitachi has 2 RGB scarts and 1 normal scart so I think wins there.

David

This is driving me nuts, I can't remember a time ever when I have spent so much time thinking about what TV to buy!!

15. cxd

cxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Empire Direct - apparently the set is now discontinued and Hitachi have said they cannot supply this model anymore, which was quite annoying since I was about to place an order assuming the stock was arriving soon. Apparently there are 15 punters out there who have ordered and will be dissapointed later on this afternoon when they get the call!

I can't understand why What HiFI bothered to review it in the January edition if you can't get hold of the damn thing!

Looks like I'll have to start all over ......

Can anyone make any recommendations ? Toshiba 32Z17B - any good ?

16. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
  17. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Just to muddy the waters again I have spoken with EmpireDirect and they have just told me that it is the 28" version that they can not get but they have 20 of the 32" on order with Hitachi and expect them in about 10 days. 11 of the 20 are already allocated. Empire did say though that the order for 20 was not guaranteed and if they do not come in then they will not be able to get any.

18. cxd

cxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

It was definitely the 32" that they can't get - they told me the same - they have 20 on order of which 15 were allocated (I guess they called 4 unlucky customers already!) The guy actually phoned Hitachi and called me back as I was not going to place an order until I had confirmation of when the sets would be in stock. Basically Hitachi said they could not supply the 20 and this poor chap was going to have to ring round the customer who had placed orders with Empire. Thanks for the Philips link I'll check it out ....

cxd