1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi c32wf523n - buzz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by thunder11, Apr 7, 2001.

1. thunder11

thunder11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wonder if anyone has had similar problems... my hitachi c32wf523n started to buzz loudly - a tube problem apparently (after only four months!). The tube has been replaced under warranty, but I still get an buzz from the tube ..noticeable during quiet moments etc.. its difficult to get an objective view on this from both the retailer and the repair shop.. should I expect some 'buzz' .. anyone?

thanks.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Depends how well the tube has been constructed.
    The scan coils which wrap around the neck of the tube can vibrate, causing a buzz. The problem is that, most probably, they are encased in a plastic (non removable) cover. So the answer is to change the tube and (hopefully) get some better wound coils. But obviously, another tube with coils could do exactly the same thing.
    One thing I found on newer Hitachi sets, (how old is yours?), is that there is a spring attached from the line output transformer to a heatsink inside the set. Now that can vibtrate in sympathy with the transformer, (idiotic design!!), and it can seem like coils buzzing! The cure was to plonk resin on it to prevent vibration/buzz.
    The only way to know is in the wksp and see if they can prove that by soak testing, ie, leave the set on with the back off and watch the TV to see when it buzzes. Then simply touch the spring with a non conductive screwdriver handle to hold it still, and the buzz should stop (if it's that).
    good luck as I wouldn't put up with a buzzing TV!!!!!!

3. thunder11

thunder11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers General! - the TV is only four months old and the new tube is 2 days old! hmmmm I wonder if the problem is as you suggest.. I will have to do some digging. If not, then just how many tubes will I have to go through before I get one which doesn't blinkin' buzz!!!

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I dont mean to sound silly but is the noise really a buzzing or more of a high pitched beep?

5. thunder11

thunder11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironduke, its a Buzz. Strangly it sometimes changes pitch depending on the picture on screen (frequency?) We also have a Toshiba TV.. If you put your ear right next to the vents in the side of this TV I can also hear a buzz.. but its very faint, so I guess all TVs make some noise. Unfortunatly the buzz from the Hitachi can be heard from the other side of the room!

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Unfortunately, I've seen Hitachi sets go through a few tubes for this and other reasons.
    The Hitachi service rep was round our wksp a week or two ago, and there are mods apparantley for various tube related problems, but more purity problems I think, didn't really listen to him.
    I can only suggest you hassle your dealer 'a lot' to get it sorted, especially if it's that loud.

7. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Hi,

I've got this model and it buzzes quite loudly!

I got an engineer round and he said there was nothing to be done, it was as per spec for the model and the coils were non-replaceable and integral.

I fussed but they said nothing could be done, so i'm resigned to listening to things with the volume up!

regards,
    anephric