1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi C28WF560N - slight distortion on sides

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MJC, Oct 21, 2005.

1. MJC

MJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hi, I've noticed on my Hitachi C28WF560N Widescreen TV that the picture seems to stretch a bit at each side. It shows most with text that scrolls from one side of the screen to the other. When the text is towards the edges of the screen it kind of stretches. It's not too bad but I notice it affects the selection menus on Sky as well. They're not quite straight along the bottom for instance - they slope down a bit towards the edges. Is this a common thing? Do I need to access a service menu or something to correct it? Is it worth exchanging the set for a new one or is a new one just as likely to have a similar issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt :).

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Its very common with CRTs, called poor geometry, and very few are perfect. You can either live with it, or try diving in to the service menu, filtering through hundreds of options, risking breaking your set and you may not even fix it. Odds are the next set could be worse, you never know! See if turning the TV through 180 degrees changes the tilt, a lot of it is caused by the earth's varying magnetic field.

3. MJC

MJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks for your reply chedmaster. I've noticed a couple of times that it appears to be more like a sort of column running vertically up the screen which distorts the picture a bit. I'm not so sure if it's just the edges now. This vertical strip creates a sort of wave or bump vertically up the picture. It only shows occasionally like when panning along a row of buildings or, as I mentioned before, when text scrolls across the screen. Is this still a geometry issue? Or might it be the Sky broadcast? Am I being too fussy?

Thanks again,
    Matt.