1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi C28WF535N or Toshiba 28Z07B

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tnathan, Dec 30, 2001.

1. tnathan

tnathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering one of these. Which one would members suggest?

2. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Hitachi and saw the Toshiba as well in local shops. I would say the pictures are on a par, I just love the quality of the Hitachi picture, so base your decision on price and sound. The sound is difficult to compare, the Toshiba sounds better as it comes with Pro Logic + rear speakers and the Hitachi only has it's internal speakers. However, the Hitachi has 5.1 Digital Dolby line level outputs, so it has the capability I reckon on getting a better sound with a basic active separate speaker setup than the Toshiba. I intend adding a Videologic Sirocco Crossfire PC system at £210 which is a 4.1 active system with enough power and quality for my needs. I can't have widely spaced front speakers in my room so I don't think I'll miss a centre speaker for now.

As I say it all comes down to total cost vs. sound.

3. JimJammy

JimJammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the Hitachi, which I am fairly pleased with. As sbrads2424 has said it doesn't come with any external speakers, although has all the plugs in the back to enable external systems to be used.

The picture quality is very good - No complaints at all.

sbrads2424 - I want to set up external suround sound and am trying to understand what I need, and the cheapest way to achieve it. I already have a DVD player (which also has dolby digital 5.1), but don't have any of the suround sound speakers etc. I have been looking at the various home cinema speaker systems, but most that I have seen come as a DVD player pack. I don't want this, but am trying to understand what I need to buy.

Do I need an amp and speakers? Do you know of any cheap(ish)systems/packages? I am happy to buy off the internet, but it's a matter of knowing where to look!

Thanks

4. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just reveived my 32 inch version of this telly- In one word superb telly, brilliant stand, excellent sound, I am very happy with it indeed!! I have just received it today so hadnt really a chance to mess about with it and that but excellent set.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You aren't looking at the right shops then. If you look at Currys and Comets, then expect the all-on-one solutions. Look at the A/V shops for the separates. Also, check richer sounds website for some ideas. They have some good amps and speaker packages on offer at the moment. or you can buy them individually if you want.

6. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - I've just received my cheap active speaker setup to add to my Hitachi C28WF535N, a Videologic Sirocco Crossfire 4.1 active PC system from www.dabs.com at £210. I had my eye on this setup when buying the Hitachi with it's line level 5.1 Dolby Digital outputs.
    The Crossfires are recognised as being the very best PC surround system by the way in numerous reviews. Because of where my TV is in my room I am limited to very small satellites and the front ones have to be close to the TV, but I've plenty of room for a floor sub of decent size, so the Crossfires seemed to fit the bill.
    Well it's now all set up and all I can say is that it sounds bloody marvellous compared with any systems I heard in local shops, so I'm a very happy chappie. The Hitachi speakers sound abysmal in comparison. Dialogue is very clear without a centre speaker. Plenty of power for a 15ft square room. Not bad for £960 for TV + Dolby Digital sound system.

7. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a bit expensive for the 28 inch version? My 32 inch telly cost me 900 pounds? where did u buy from? Aslo did u take out extended warranty on this?how much was it?

8. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on....

I have just setup the YAMAHA HTIB40 home cinema system which includes 5.1 receiver and speakers. It gives a very impressive sound from the small front and rear speakers and I believe this system to be ideal if you don't want to spend too much or have big sets of speakers in your living room. Package costs £379 at hispek.com from who I received a first class service. Ordered 28/12/01 and delivered 31/12/01.

9. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was £750 for the 28" TV incuding a 5yr guarantee with a local Hitachi dealer and £210 for the active speaker setup, total £960. I could have got the TV much cheaper on the web mail order, but I don't like sending for anything over £200 or so, and would have only got a 1yr guarantee. I never saw or heard anything in Currys, Comet, Dixons that looked and sounded better for anywhere near this price. 32" wasn't an option - it had to fit into an alcove.