1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi bashing?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rudy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like Marmite, it seems we love or hate Hitachi plasmas....

Admittedly, I plumped for a PW7 37, but when RS ran out of stock I bought a Hitachi pd 5200. I think each has its virtues and faults

So, out of interest, lets have the boardies views on a head to head PQ comparism(only) between, say, a pw7 and pd 5200/5300

2. weavib

weavib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i went for 5200 .

having demoed and researched throughly (big purchase for for most people - certainly me). I really liked the panny & cheaper - I just preferred the picture on the hitachi, might be against popular opinion here! Have been extremely happy with it since purchase :D

i think there is no need for 'bashing' peoples personal prefences - and certainly wouldn't try and put anyone off buying a different brand/model than the one i preferred.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got no real problems with the PQ on my 5300 and a 3000 before that with either Sky+ or DVD. Having said that, particularly on dark scenes I think the Panasonic has the edge as it does the blacks so much better.

John

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Suppose I'd better say something, you all expect me to. My main gripe at Hitachi was, and is, the general weirdnes of ALIS. No way round it, and that is the marmite bit. If you want to use PCs and scalers, it's just not where you start. Frequently, you might finish up wanting these things, then the fun starts. There have also been some serious customer service issues, remember the PD3000? But things have quietened down a lot, they seem much more together on quality control these days, but they are now MORE expensive than a Panasonic, and it's my bet that previously, when pannys were £3k, a lot of folks bought on price. Shows how much money Panasonic were making before though. What Hitachi are good at is making a plug and play TV, take it home and get a watchable picture. Shame no freeview integrated, from that point of view, but it's a fact there is no such thing as the perfect plasma.

5. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its sad I know but this thread is almost sure to turn into a slanging match.

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It better not, I am getting fed up of of moderating slanging matches, so please remember:
    Personal preferences/thoughts: good :smashin:
    Slanging/personal insults: bad :thumbsdow

:lesson: I'm taking no prisoners this time ;)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I shall be sad too. I tend to have the most radical views, I hope folks find that rational and measured.

8. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add my personal views!!

I had a 32PD5200, and the PQ from DVD was stunning!! However it was Very poor form SKY, I tried it via Scart RGB and also using a JS rgb- Component box.

I used good quality cables and still had a poor picture when watching sports, Movies were fine but live fast moving sports were unwatchable.

Swapped it for a PWD6 and the PQ across the board is fantastic, everything is input via Component and Sky is great and Footy & tennis are a joy to watch.

so no guessing which screen I think is better!!!

But like I said its my opinion and at least it is based on having owned the Hitachi for 2 months before going for the PWD6.

Just my Tuppence

9. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seems the Hitachi really suffers from a poor signal-

I had my dish repaired in November after the storm and it has'nt been the same since; yellows are pixellated and i get more banding(depending on channel).

I am contemplating upgrading the dish/antenna as i think it will make a massive difference on Sky.

Totally agree about the black levels, but after much fiddling with levels(con. +5 Bri. -3) i am happy 99% of the time.

10. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With comments like this - "I have seen more plasmas than most, all the crap ones are Hitachi or korean." :rotfl:

Could we have something a bit more on the measured side ? :thumbsup:

Oops, sorry couldn't help but quote you on that one...

I quite like the HITACHI 42PD5200, compared to some others I checked out the picture quality was sharp and skin tones looked almost lifelike. Some people might disagree but the picture did seem better than the Panasonic TH37P.

11. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    it would be a shame to see another post like The LG one but really the question asked in the way it was in the mentioned post would only result in one outcome.

At least you had the sense to ask a question and invite sensible answers and opinions :smashin:

I looked at the Hitachi and very nearly bought one, if it wasnt for these forumns guiding a total newbie on plasmas I may have.
    On PQ I honestly couldnt tell the difference both looked sharp and vibrant. The viera clinched it for me after a hearing that blacks where better and screen burn was as near to a distance memory with the pannys as you can get.
    But as I said PQ was inseperable for me.
    I am very happy with the viera, if I could change it would be the size as is the norm she who must be obeyed refused a 42" but was quite happy at the 37", now that we have chnaged the room around she announced "a 42" would have gone nice their" AAARRRRGGHHH :mad:
    Still there is next time

12. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both screens seem to have their advantages / disadvantages.
    I think it comes down to personal preference. I'm very happy with my Hitatchi and got it after much deliberation against the Panny. What MAW said is correct in that the 5200 is plug and play and that suited me (I didn't want external boards etc), and with the DVI input it is ideal. Fingers crossed for SKY's new service though (but that seems to affect just about everyone at the moment).
    I'm no expert, but a middle of the road guy who likes to watch good quality, therefore I respect others opinions and try to learn from them for the future.
    These forums are fantastic for warning you against certain models when considering a purchase and I'm indebted to peoples advice (for instance it stopped me taking the wifes advice and getting a cheaper model)
    My friend has the Panny and it too has a great picture.
    If your a high ender then thats probably a different matter completely.

13. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have just opted for a Hitachi, the 32 inch model being better than most LCD's available at the moment. They caught my eye a while back as having demonstrably better PQ than other items on display on the high street at the time and when the finances became available I went back for another look. By this time they were accompanied by the more respected brands but I applaud their attempt at making plasma more accessible to those of us without the room for a 37 or 42. I may discover their pitfalls in time, but I am moving up from a Phillips 28inch Blackline S and over that, the Hitachi is an improvement.

14. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't see the point of these threads, it all comes down to personal taste.
    I read the reviews looked at all the best screens and chose Hitachi.
    The man stood next to me might say the Panasonic was best or the LG was best, it dosn't matter what matters is what I thought was best for ME.

15. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like i have said befor i bought a hitachi after much delibaration and loved it from day one i have seen other screens and for pq and look of the screen nothing came close these forums are a little panny biast but at the end of the day if you are happy with your screen then thats the most important thing (i will add these on for maw)
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

16. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No slanging matches..yet!

Keep it real

17. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    waite till maw sees my happy clappers he just loves them :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

18. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He'll have you put in a room like Terry Waite if you're not careful

19. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Is it just me, or does "bashing the Hitachi" sound like a really dodgy euphemism?

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For?

Anyway, we are off subject a little bit and I am selfishly enjoying watching this develop(trying desperately to avoid euphanisms)

21. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I had my Hitachi pd5200 for 5 days after previously owning a pw6 when i first turned the Hitachi on I felt sick to my stomach, every single plasma drawback was present grain, banding distorted images when the camera panned to quickly and there were no blacks just greys.
    I conected my dvd player up via dvi and the picture improved no end but it was no better than the PW6 via DVI, I though i was upgading from the Panny.
    After much tweaking the PQ got better but the greys and distortion didnt improve, even people who came round to my house commented on how funny peoples faces looked when the camera panned.
    I thought to myself Ive spent 2 grand on something that was no better than my panny6, in some cases worse, so I sent it back and ordered the Pioneer XDE when I turned it on at last WOW no grain, banding even the blacks were close to the pannys.
    So the moral of the story is Hitachi are crap

Only joking just my opinion Im sure if id given it time the picture would have improved but for 2 grand I wasnt prepared to wait :devil:

22. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you just go in the shop, point and say "a want that wan"
    cos it doesn't sound like you put much thought into it.
    Might have been a good idea to switch one on first.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Weird ? How weird ? Not exactly a technical term, is it ? Care to elaborate on the "weirdness" of ALIS panels ? For every "drawback" of an ALIS panel, there's an advantage. I've noticed that there's as many "urban myths" about ALIS on these forums, as there was about re-gassing plasmas two years ago.

24. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve: On a certain setting there is a distorting image problem. i seem to have got rid of this prob by changing the settings but I don't remember how!

never had the other probs you had in the beginning and was v happy until my sky dish was badly repaired. Also, good leads make a massive difference to PQ.

Agree about black levels though. Most of the time its ok, even on lord of the rings, but i watched 'birthday girl ' on film 4 yesterday and the blacks were terrible.

Hitachi really need to address this with new models if they are to touch panny new 500 range

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The weirdness is the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping, the 'is it interlaced' issue, the fact that nobody actually seems to know how it works,so how are we supposed to get the best out of it, and the fact that is is irreversably fixed at 30/60 Hz refresh rate. This, like it or not, does introduce frame rate conversion issues. It was never meant as a video panel at all. Surprising that it works so well. Sorry guys, don't make me bang on about it, I am not in the market for an argument. They have fixed the other major gripe I had, most of them seem to stay sold now, which is good.

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    So, which TV's actually do 1:1 pixel mapping ? Not many pre-HDTV models. There's no mystery about it being an interlaced screen, or the workings of the panel - it's all explained on the Fujitsu web site.

Whether it was designed for TV display or not - the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and there's a lot of very satisfied Alis panel owners out there, including this one. :hiya:

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The proof of the pudding is indeed in the eating, but the Hitachi is probably the only screen with a PC input which can't do 1:1 pixel mapping. The explanation on Fujitsu's web site has been gone into before, it's far too simplisitic, a cod science story.

28. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    From what I can gather, the philosophy behind ALIS is to produce a panel that has superior picture qualities for video signals. This would explain the fact that these panels seem to do well in the PQ stakes when viewed. However the way ALIS works is simply not best suited to displaying PC signals. Ultimately it appears that while many might find the VGA and DVI inputs useful, if you wish to feed these screens with a HTPC signal source, these are not for you. A non ALIS screen (of decent quality) will be superior. The explanation (given on the Pixel Perfect website) seems perfectly plausible to me, and being neutral takes some of the spin out of the explanations given by the pro and anti camps. As my intention is to feed my Hitachi from conventional sources primarily, with a little experimentation with HTPC this seems a reasonable choice for me... :)

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The philosiphy behind ALIS was to create a digital sign with some immunity to screen burn.

30. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,725
    OK maybe this thread should be called ALIS panel bashing!
    Yes, as the previous posting said there are many urban myths on this forum. (512 lines etc etc :boring: )

MAW, you say you have a problem with no 1 :1 pixal mapping with the ALIS panel (1024x 1024) and yet on this forum you have absolutely no scruples recommending a Panny which not only cannot do 1:1 mapping with UK TV but has to have the picture downgraded from 576 to 480 Vertical resolution !!!