1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi? Anologue viewing and things

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Discord, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Discord

Discord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry, I'm a complete novice.

I'm looking to spend around £2k. Verging towards the Hit 42PD4200. However I concerned if Plasma is the right route for me at all!!

I don't have SKY or Digital and don't watch much sport. Use for the TV will be: watching standard channels & DVDs. May get Freeview at some point for the kiddies..

I only have an anlogue signal {socket in the wall} but the signal is very good {its cable}. I also only have a very basic DVD palyer and basic video player: no other equipment.

Questions are: Are Plasmas ok for analogue and is the Hitachi up there with the best? Do I need to invest in extra equipment to improve PQ/sound? I will probably get a home cinema as well..

Oh.. one last thing: I'm starting to get concerned now re the futute and HDTV!

Any advise at all would be appreciated.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you sure you mean the 4200 and not the 5200 ? The 4200 is an old model, sold by Richer Sounds, and it's a lower res screen. You can get the 5200 for around 2k.

3. Discord

Discord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meant the 5200! Any thoughts on my questions? Any why did you go for the 5300

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Two reasons I bought the 5300 over the 5200: JL sold the 5300 and was able to PM. Also I prefered the 'one cable to screen' option.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My wife doesn't like trailing wires. With the 5300 you only have 2 cables going from the control box to the TV, and all the other stuff (DVD, Sky+, etc) goes to the box, which can be up to 10 feet away.

Performance on off-air signals is good, and the sound from the (detachable) speakers is excellent. However, you won't get the best out of this set unless you upgrade to digital via Freeview or Sky+, because a lot of terrestrial output isn't true 16:9.

6. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looked at both the PD5300 & PD5200 finaly orderd the 5200 from flatdeal
    got to make me mind up sometime :confused:

had to make a decision on size to fit only thing is now I'll have to upgrade my periphials

regards tradesman

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a fantastic plasma, however I would recommend getting SKY+ for picture quality. On analogue the picture isn't great because of the size of the screen (42" is pretty big).

enjoy.

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Quite true, you do need a decent source. Hitachi isn't so good with analog or poor sources.

9. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question? I have NTL with my plasma screen and the pics are really naf. You suggested good pictures with Sky+. Is that the same if I got sky on its own without the plus?
    please send reply to hiran@hiranvegad.wanadoo.co.uk

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I don't see why SKY+ would be any better than normal SKY. TBH the PQ from any SKY box is gonna suck arse, some channels are truly shocking; my RPTV is normally quite forgiving but still some channles look rubbish. It's the one thing I'm worried about most when I trade up to a 42PD7200 in a few days time.

11. gphys

gphys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a poor signal area but with a simple booster the analogue picture on my 32pd5300 is pretty good. The sky signal is better but not hugely
    In any event 2K sounds a bit steep
    I paid 1700 for my 5300 4 months ago and at that time you could get the 5200 for 1400. I saw the 5200 in Comet for 1700 last weekend so you KNOW you can get it cheaper online

12. Ellster

Ellster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gphys - I think maybe the prices you are quoting are for the 32" version of the 5200? :confused:

The 2K mentioned in Discord's post was for the 42".

You can get the 42" 5200 for £1,869 inc P&P at www.robertsons-online.co.uk

PS I've just ordered the newer model, the 42PD7200, which is compliant with Sky's planned 720p50 broadcasts.